What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let's talk about TPA (The Pinball Arcade)

cooldan

i like pizza
ok, for starters, i prefer to call it PBA, but i think i'm too late, as TPA seems to have stuck. for anyone who has been living under a rock for the last year or two, this is the digital pinball game that people play on their phones, tablets, consoles and possibly soon also computers. it has had a huge impact, and seems to have split the community opinion.

minifig pinball.jpg
pinball axl rose.jpgpinball barry manilow.jpg

i love it, i've bought every table on it since it came out (even though about a third of the 25 or so tables hold no interest for me) and i play it pretty much every day. i goof off playing it on my phone, in bed or in supermarket queues, on buses or even on the toilet.and i'm not the only one who's a fan, apparently TPA was downloaded 7 million times in 2012.

pinball brooke shields.jpgpinball keith moon.jpgpinball debbie harry.jpg

in my opinion, TPA is largely responsible for the recent surge of interest in pinball, as smartphones are everywhere, and everyone can afford the £3-5 per table that means they too can now enjoy playing those top titles that are too expensive and too big and heavy to own at home.

bigfoot playing pinball.jpgpinball michael jackson.jpgpinball john lennon.jpg

BUT there are plenty of obvious downsides too: a lot of the tables have bugs in, which may be small or may be huge and game-spoiling. sometimes these get fixed after a while, and sometimes not. many complain that TPA shouldn't keep on releasing loads of new games or moving to loads of new platforms until they fix the bugs. all the titles that have been used in TPA have seen their real life machine price skyrocket in the next few months. and for some reason, TPA uses kickstarter to collect the money from the public to buy licenses (current one they're collecting for is T2), even though they're clearly making good money off the game.

pinball superman.jpgpinball slash.jpgStar Wars cast play on arcade games.jpg

if anyone is interested, and didn't know about it, there's a forum for TPA fans here - http://pinballarcadefans.com/forum.php

pinball bruce springsteen.jpgpinball elvis.jpgpinball laurel & hardy.jpg

No real interest in it here. Don't really do the mobile phone thing but I'm guessing you've spent about £100 on the tables if they average out at £4 each. Not exactly dirt cheap.

Can't think why anyone would dislike it though, just not for me. It's not the same as a real machine but you can't really take a pin on the train with you.;)

The whole obsession people have with mobiles is lost on me. Yes, I've got one but I'm not addicted to it like so many people, it's a tool in my eyes rather than the status symbol so many people view it as. But what do I know, I don't do shopping malls either.

Probably is one of the reasons interest (and prices) have increased but maybe it will encourage people to stick a few pounds in a machine in the pub. (Assuming that a. there aver is a machine in a pub and b. People still go to pubs rather than sitting at home playing on their bloody phones and using facebook...)

I was hyped about it when it was first announced. Made a few posts to the group about it, signed up to the beta, downloaded on day one, and was instantly disappointed. The Android beta was really buggy. Stuck with it for a good while, reporting loads and loads of bugs. Then the game came out officially. Still full of bugs. Eventually got frustrated and gave up

And then I got a tablet (Nexus 10) and thought I'd see if it was any better on that. Happy to see they have fixed loads of issues now, and it plays pretty well on the Nexus. They did the season pack thing recently, so I ended up buying all the tables again through that. Loving it again, playing daily

I'd encourage anyone that tried it during the early days to give it another go.

I could write about this for hours, but I use this forum generally for happy stuffs and do most of my moaning elsewhere, so rather than essay this thing to death, ill just try and reserve myself to a few lines.

TPA had the potential to be the single best thing that could have ever happened to pinball software, but Farsight are so terrible with so many aspects at being a dev team, from programming to planning to PR, that they continue to release a product by the skin of their teeth, failing to fix bugs and problems, continuously missing release dates, bull****ing the fans with constant push backs, begging letters and in some cases straight up lies about issues concerning their product.

The fact they then keep badgering their customers for 60k for various licences, have failed in some cases to provide the kick starters with their "backer rewards" and won't stop pushing to release tables every month even though they *know* a whole variety of tables on a whole variety of formats are bugged fom a level of minor to, in some cases, unplayable shows nothing but greed.

Adding to this, they charge EXTRA MONEY for things like dip switch settings and options, under the cynically titled "Pro Version"

The fact they consistently make money whilst never having to prove themselves accountable for quality control or supportive of their own product boils my blood.

Notice *none of this* is about whether it "plays like real pinball" because for me the reason FS doesn't deserve my money has nothing to do with ball physics, it's about customer support, releasing a quality product, not BSing your market and not coming up with ways to squeeze extra dollars out of a dedicated fan base that have already proved themselves beyond loyal by backing your products *despite* all your bugs, missed street dates and refusal to fix past table errors.

Zen Pinball have consistently made a working pinball sim for years, they get licences such as Marvel and Star Wars without asking for a penny from the fans, their tables are bug free and feature a host of multiplayer, dip switch settings and options that you *don't pay extra for* and are released on all formats, on time.

That paragraph isn't because this is "Pinball FX vs TPA" argument. It's just to how how a similar small, mid budget studio manages to put out a consistent, bug free, well priced product without the missing dates, messed up code or shamefully begging its fans for 60 grand every few months.

I haven't gone into their 360 release issues and lies therein (that's a whole ten paragraphs in itself) their Steam Greenlight laziness, the complete neglect of the Mac version, the iphone bias, the Kickstarter backers who paid in but didnt get their rewards and their latest "Season Pack" concept, which sells all the tables for cheaper to those leaping on board now, whilst ignoring the loyalty of the people who adopted early for higher prices.

Well, I blew that whole "few lines thing" didn't I? You woke the beast. :D

Too long, didnt read version:

Farsight Studios are terrible at making, releasing and supporting games, they are inconsistent, bias and greedy. But they win awards and make hundreds of thousands for doing it. In any other studios hands TPA would be incredible, but it's fallen to a studio who are way out of their depth with such a grand scale project.

I just needed to write that bit, right? :D

(As an aside, I'm not looking for an argument with anybody, it's just a game and if people here enjoy playing it then thats cool, I'm glad they get such enjoyment out of it. I also want to point out that Farsight's original "Williams Pinball Classics" release was a great product.)

****load_of_cocks in pinball.jpg
I have it, but only to use it as a trial. I havent bought any of the tables as they are NOTHING like playing a real machine. None of the digital pinball offerings have even remotely piqued my interest enough to pay for them with real money.

The head tracking BAM mod (Better arcade mod) that was released for future pinball has lots of promise and i find the tech behind it very interesting, but sadly, i know i wont ever use it because of the primary issue mentioned above.

That said, i have used the pinball arcade to re-acquaint myself with tables i dont have much experience on, but then 30 seconds later switch it off to play a real machine and have 100% more fun. Its nice to see it out there for people to enjoy, but fails in recreating the true enjoyment of pinball. (imo of course).

Too many game breaking bugs :mad: They're QA control seems to be non existent.

I manage teams of software developers and testers in my day job and if we released software to the same quality level as Farsight then I wouldn't have a job anymore. They need to take some f*cking pride in their work as IT professionals!

I'm also not a fan of their Kickstarter business model. It was ok to get the project off the ground for the day 1 release but they have enough money in their business now that they should be funding themselves. It shows that they don't have any confidence in their business and want to push some of the risk onto their customers, thats a pretty sh*tty way to do things IMO.

I think farsight studios need some of this:

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Well, I love TPA on my iPad and its completely responsible for me being into pinball and now owning 2 pins. I used to completely ignore pinball machines in my youth, going into an arcade I would walk straight past to the video games. The last 30 years has been all video games for me, that is until I saw some footage of the then unreleased pinball arcade. I signed up to be a beta tester ( and still am ) so usually get the new tables 2 weeks early each month. Yes it's frustrating pointing out bugs during testing and them not getting fixed so please don't blame the beta testers. Testers report the issues and it seems Farsight are just to small for their ambitious plans, I.e. 2 new tables every month on an ever growing list of platforms. The bugs are annoying but they are easily outweighed by the many, many hours of fun I've had playing it.

After owning TPA for a few months I looked around for some real pins to play and was shocked to find there basically aren't any. That's when I started looking into owning my own, and now have The Getaway and The Shadow.

As to how realistic the tables are, I would say probably as good as you can expect from a video game. The big bonus though is getting to know the tables and rules, last weekend I got to play AFM, MM, MB and CFTBL at the south west meet and was completely at home playing them. I even did pretty well on AFM and demonstrated the skill shot to someone who has owned one for years but didn't know about it.

I guess it all depends if you are into video games and pinball, if you don't like video games you probably won't like TPA but if you happen to like pinball and video games then you'll love it.

i'm quite surprised by how polarised the opinions are, mostly.

i love pinball, and i like video games in general. i will continue to download every game they put out, but i share many of Leona's opinions of the company that are putting it out. honestly, in most industries, their head of QC/QA/whatever would have been fired long ago, and i also read about problems in their marketing and customer feedback depts as well.

i'm totally grey on this one - love the product, but only as it's pinball on my phone, and is unrivalled. if another company did the same, they'd get *all* my business immediately, as i don't believe anyone could do it worse than FS have done.

Its my only readily accessible way to play pinball, I wish it was harder more like the real thing, accumulating extra balls is very easy and the ramps seem super wide, Scared Stiff on mobile is far, far too easy. I've bought every table pack they've released to date and I will continue to do so, as I want their work to continue.

Bit buggy and not cheap, but I've got all the tables on my iPhone so far and will probably carry on as its a nice little distraction sort of a game and not a bad way to learn the rules on one or two pins I don't remember seeing in the wild previously and maybe only encounter very occasionally at shows etc..
Haven't bothered getting it on my ipad but I have got the zaccaria jobby on this, and a few of the tables for that downloaded, not too sad actually.

TPA is universal. You CAN play iPhone only games on iPad but they will have a small border around them. You can't play iPad only games on the iPhone.

I accept the game is what it is and it is not real pinball but real pinballs converted to a game. It is great way to get exposure to tables and see if they are ones that take your fancy, then I can hunt them at a shows or meet.
It has it's bugs and they ignored my issues after TZ was released (kickstarter backer) and I wish they would spend some time fixing them. There support is appalling in not just slow response but useless when it does come through.
The Kickstarter idea seemed great at the beginning but now I realise that I paid so others could pay less, or more that I paid so FS could sell the product and make a profit. In return I didn't get anything meaningful for backing them.
Overall, I will continue to buy the games whilst I continue to occasionally play them. I have it on the iPad and it keeps me entertained on trains, holidays and during important conference calls. ;)

Yeah, i've spent too much time and money playing PA but much like Calimori I take it for what it is, and the same applies to all of the other virtual pinball offerings, be it Future Pinball or Virtual Pinball.

They're great ways to get some experience of the rule sets of tables but my colleague said to me a few months ago that it's not as good as the 'real thing' and having now played a couple of the PA tables in real life I have to agree with him.

That said I can't lug a real Pin on the plane with me when travelling so PA is about as good as it's going to get. It has got a bit expensive for me though as i've ended up owning it on Xbox, PS3, iPad AND Android. Considering they're also green-lit on Steam now I can see a future purchase on PC also being grabbed.

Now they just need to keep growing the table selection and hopefully fix some of the nagging bugs. I think the table i've played the most is Monster Bash and i've seen some absolute howlers when playing that.

My tuppence.
The company doesn't seem to provide much in the way of support for broken stuff in their product.
Not that impressed with paying extra to get to dip switch settings tbh.
It's clever and some of the tables are quite well done/fun to play and I can play when sitting on a train.
It's never, ever going to feel like the real thing but try getting the real thing onto a train:)
I think it's probably indirectly had a positive impact on the hobby as a whole.

My tuppence.
The company doesn't seem to provide much in the way of support for broken stuff in their product.
Not that impressed with paying extra to get to dip switch settings tbh.
It's clever and some of the tables are quite well done/fun to play and I can play when sitting on a train.
It's never, ever going to feel like the real thing but try getting the real thing onto a train:)
I think it's probably indirectly had a positive impact on the hobby as a whole.

The negative is driving up prices of the tables featured in their app.

The negative is driving up prices of the tables featured in their app.
I guess so, it's made me yearn after an AFM a bit more so I'd probably pay more for one but then, on the flip side, I would not want a MB even more than I didn't want one before. :)

Im a supporter of TPA in that i have bought every release basically the day it comes out (only bought one pro table, had a play didnt see the point on a virtual platform)

Really not sure they should be doing the whole kickstarter thing again, it was ok once for TZ, STTNG was half done with extended target of TZ so ok to finish it off with a new kickstarter. But surely they must have made a fortune by now and should be able to fund their own projects. Maybe if they offered more for your investment, $10 investment get you a copy of the game on one platform or you could wait until its released and get it for $5.... Seems kinda unfair to me

Havent really seen many bugs (on ipad 1 or 3) until the last game set. Had the odd game that wouldnt start but close game and reopen and all ok again, anoying i guess but no biggie.

Latest 2 games on IOS were pinbot and firepower, when i started a game it just stayed in flyover mode. Fixed now but a bit crappy to pay £3 - £4 to only be able to watch a flyover.

Still i will continue to buy the tables as they come out, great as something to do in a break at work or at a coffee shop etc.

Did you get it loaded on the ipad ok Dan ? its totally different experience on an ipad over an iphone

Agree about iPad over iPhone, I stopped playing it on iPhone a long time ago, it's just too small. It's awesome on iPad 3 or 4. It's playable on my S4 but doesn't run as smoothly as the iPad so I don't play it on there.

I found anything smaller than an iPad screen is really hard to play on. For me PS3 and iPad are where it's at, although it's interesting to note the tables 'feel' different on the two platforms, which is odd as they should both be using the same physics engine and graphical assets.

I have bought a few game packs to play on my Samsung tablet (Android platform) whilst I endure my hour long commute by train to London. I initially tried it on my Samsung S2 smartphone, but didn't find it very good to play on my phone as there was some flipper lag and the screen was a bit too small.

I haven't dealt with the Kickstart or the support side of things, so cannot comment, but the games seem fairly bug free with just a few minor problems occuring.

I just have to remember not to shout and swear at the screen on the train when I drain, like I do normally when I play... :oops: :rolleyes:

Bug wise its fairly stable atm, there's still a few tables with horrible bugs though, Firepower and CV spring to mind. However most are pretty bug free or only have a few minor niggles. Think of the bugs as the equivalent of all the minor niggles you get on a real pin, balls getting stuck, switches needing adjusting, lamps blowing etc :)

I think the tables always look great but the sound packages always feel chucked together with the same old cues.

Back
Top Bottom