What's new

Leg levellers adjusting spanner

strongs

Site Supporter
Does anyone know what size spanner is required on most leg levellers to adjust the nuts?

Thanks in advance

An imperial adjustable spanner yea? How do these differ from metric adjustable spanners exactly? o_O:p

Seriously though, adjustable spanners do work well on leg levellers! :thumbs:

Well I use a right handed one myself but I guess you could make do with a left handed one in a pinch!

The nuts on the levellers were originally 5/8" - same as the leg bolts but you quite often get slightly smaller nut bodies which a 9/16" spanner usually fits.
Cheers.

Great thanks. Whilst I'm here does anyone happen to know the correct size socket bit needed to remove the small hexagon shaped lamp holder nuts under the playfield?

Also just happens to be the standard size of any of those drivers that have multiple screwdriver bit inserts.

I'm still struggling to find what I need (sorry) maybe I'm not explaining properly? All of the socket bits I look at online to buy are in millimetres - for example it says "1/4 drive 5.5mm 6 point socket"
Whilst it mentions "1/4" they come in different sizes 5mm, 5.5mm, 6mm and so on. Which one do I need?

The 1/4 in your example refers to the size of the driver that slots into the head of the socket, not the socket. In your example all the sockets are metric

You need to change your search term slightly, but then focus in on imperial sets (as opposed to the drive being imperial).

E.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-AK26...66050&sr=1-1&keywords=3/8+imperial+socket+set

Which you will see lists the individual sockets which are imperial sizes. You don't want one which lists the metric mm sizes as these are only approximate

Take a look at eBay CT1130.

Thanks Andy. I'm looking at this set do you think it will have the right size I need? Alls I'm after is the correct sized socket to remove some of the lamp holders underneath my play field - I don't know why it's proving so difficult.

I'd rather just buy a single socket rather than buying a whole set. Someone must know the exact socket I require!?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7Pc-Nut-D...139521?hash=item4d30ea3e41:g:cl0AAOSwBLlVMm~4

According to the post above its the 1/4" - its a coincidence that the standard drive size is 1/4" too!

For that sort of money I'd be looking for a cheap imperial set so you've got a few to cover future jobs. Most sets I've ever bought (and that's a few!) have a mix of metric and imperial socket sizes.

Thanks :) Now if I could just figure out which one I need :rolleyes:
From smallest to biggest it goes blue yellow grey green orange red purple.

Needed- if you're ever gonna do anything to a pinball machine, you will need the yellow, grey and green handled ones all the time. The orange one is for holding posts and ball guides to the playfield so it's also useful.

Not needed- the tiny blue one is rarely used (tiny screws that hold microswitches is about it). May have used the red one a couple of times for something but hardly ever. Can't remember when or even if I ever used the purple one.

If you don't buy the colour coded ones (which also have hollow shafts which is a big advantage) then mark them up with colour tape or something.

The problem with sockets is that they're wider where they fit into the driver making getting them onto lamp holders awkward.

@strongs_uk you're best off just buying that 7 piece set you linked to in your pose above. For £12 delivered it's cheap and sods law says you'll need one of the other sizes at some point in the future. A set of nut drives like that should be one of the first things anyone getting into pinball should buy for their starter toolkit :thumbs:

Reactions: DRD
Does it really matter if they are metric or imperial? I thought that was just the way they were measured!? There surely will be a spanner in that set that fits the nuts on leg levellers!?

How have you got through your adult life without a spanner and socket set :hmm: I've got 2 tables, one I use size 14 spanner on the leg nuts, the other I use 5/8.

Back
Top Bottom