What's new

LED Sample Kit?

Carl Spiby

Registered
As a newbie I don't have a stock of the various cool/warm white bulbs to see which look best, do any of the LED suppliers offer sample packs for just the cost of postage?

I doubt it, but they are mega cheap these days so who knows?

If I was a reseller of them I would do that for good repeat customers, but that's it. Giving stuff away for free is not good business sense.

Nice :)

Hadn't played one of those until the Expo. The ball spinning around that center loop was awesome and has put the table on my wish list now.

I was actually thinking more about the backbox initially, to keep things cool in there and reduce the load on the GI a little.

In a video on TNT Amusements they have 13 red (Logo), 15 cool white, 2 warm white (headlights) and 5 strobe flashers.

Are they all #555 wedge type?

I'm having a bit of a break at the moment, however all the major suppliers have kindly supplied me with samples, and I'm looking to get a comparison/review done in around a month or so :)

Yes Carl the back box are all 555s. I've played around with mine and went back to standard lamps except for behind headlights where I have cool white. I just can't get on with leds in the backbox, they're just too spotty to me.

Carl don't become the new Wez by talking about LEDing a machine before you actually own it. ;)

Poor old Wez. I wonder what's happened to him these days?

Yahoo group isn't the same without his 15 messages a day about his latest FT plans:

for sale/bought back/blinged up with LEDs/up for sale again/gonna keep it/make me an offer/selling on eBay definitely not gonna pull it/pulled it/on eBay again/pulled it again/sold to con artist/bought back NEVER selling/sold for magic beans/bought back/selling on eBay/what's it worth/no I won't pull it/pulled at last minute again/where's my antipsychotic medicine/what you lookin at mate/get down to Yates/sorted for Es and whizz/gobbledygook/I bought an XFiles/I love it/who wants to buy my XFiles it's a turd/anyone got a FT for sale/etc

I love leds and want them everywhere but everytime I put them behind a translite I think they are too visible, too spotty like the ones lining both sides of the road in yout photo. I always end up taking them back out.

I put them behind a translite I think they are too visible, too spotty

You want the diffused/frosted type of LEDs for in the backbox, it helps to disperse the light and minimise the spotty effect. Going for warm whites instead of cool also helps :)

You want the diffused/frosted type of LEDs for in the backbox, it helps to disperse the light and minimise the spotty effect. Going for warm whites instead of cool also helps :)

Tried 'em all. Even warm white frosted are visible in the positions seen in Carls photo.

I love leds and want them everywhere but everytime I put them behind a translite I think they are too visible, too spotty like the ones lining both sides of the road in yout photo. I always end up taking them back out.
Camera makes this more obvious than it is, I'm using frosted ones from pinball-led and its a nice soft light.

Camera makes this more obvious than it is, I'm using frosted ones from pinball-led and its a nice soft light.
I guess it's personal taste, I've tried exactly those LEDs and I can't unsee them. Even those are still brighter/spottier than 555 incandescents.

Poor old Wez. I wonder what's happened to him these days?

Yahoo group isn't the same without his 15 messages a day about his latest FT plans:

for sale/bought back/blinged up with LEDs/up for sale again/gonna keep it/make me an offer/selling on eBay definitely not gonna pull it/pulled it/on eBay again/pulled it again/sold to con artist/bought back NEVER selling/sold for magic beans/bought back/selling on eBay/what's it worth/no I won't pull it/pulled at last minute again/where's my antipsychotic medicine/what you lookin at mate/get down to Yates/sorted for Es and whizz/gobbledygook/I bought an XFiles/I love it/who wants to buy my XFiles it's a turd/anyone got a FT for sale/etc

Don't know about Wez but RudeDogg1 could be the new Wez in disguise, in a fashion, as looks like he is trying to trade his Shadow for anything or everything!!! :)

Lol nah not atall I just miss fixing em up I I don't even want rid yet. If I see something nice come up I just like to try my luck see if anyone wants to trade. BTW I've had the shadow since March not like wez who sells days later just for the record :0p

They remind me of my machine when I kitted it out. HS2 is so much fun may get another soon.

Enjoy the leds:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom