What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED Sample Kit?

Carl Spiby

Registered
As a newbie I don't have a stock of the various cool/warm white bulbs to see which look best, do any of the LED suppliers offer sample packs for just the cost of postage?

I doubt it, but they are mega cheap these days so who knows?

If I was a reseller of them I would do that for good repeat customers, but that's it. Giving stuff away for free is not good business sense.

Nice :)

Hadn't played one of those until the Expo. The ball spinning around that center loop was awesome and has put the table on my wish list now.

I was actually thinking more about the backbox initially, to keep things cool in there and reduce the load on the GI a little.

In a video on TNT Amusements they have 13 red (Logo), 15 cool white, 2 warm white (headlights) and 5 strobe flashers.

Are they all #555 wedge type?

I'm having a bit of a break at the moment, however all the major suppliers have kindly supplied me with samples, and I'm looking to get a comparison/review done in around a month or so :)

Yes Carl the back box are all 555s. I've played around with mine and went back to standard lamps except for behind headlights where I have cool white. I just can't get on with leds in the backbox, they're just too spotty to me.

Carl don't become the new Wez by talking about LEDing a machine before you actually own it. ;)

Poor old Wez. I wonder what's happened to him these days?

Yahoo group isn't the same without his 15 messages a day about his latest FT plans:

for sale/bought back/blinged up with LEDs/up for sale again/gonna keep it/make me an offer/selling on eBay definitely not gonna pull it/pulled it/on eBay again/pulled it again/sold to con artist/bought back NEVER selling/sold for magic beans/bought back/selling on eBay/what's it worth/no I won't pull it/pulled at last minute again/where's my antipsychotic medicine/what you lookin at mate/get down to Yates/sorted for Es and whizz/gobbledygook/I bought an XFiles/I love it/who wants to buy my XFiles it's a turd/anyone got a FT for sale/etc

I love leds and want them everywhere but everytime I put them behind a translite I think they are too visible, too spotty like the ones lining both sides of the road in yout photo. I always end up taking them back out.

I put them behind a translite I think they are too visible, too spotty

You want the diffused/frosted type of LEDs for in the backbox, it helps to disperse the light and minimise the spotty effect. Going for warm whites instead of cool also helps :)

You want the diffused/frosted type of LEDs for in the backbox, it helps to disperse the light and minimise the spotty effect. Going for warm whites instead of cool also helps :)

Tried 'em all. Even warm white frosted are visible in the positions seen in Carls photo.

I love leds and want them everywhere but everytime I put them behind a translite I think they are too visible, too spotty like the ones lining both sides of the road in yout photo. I always end up taking them back out.
Camera makes this more obvious than it is, I'm using frosted ones from pinball-led and its a nice soft light.

Camera makes this more obvious than it is, I'm using frosted ones from pinball-led and its a nice soft light.
I guess it's personal taste, I've tried exactly those LEDs and I can't unsee them. Even those are still brighter/spottier than 555 incandescents.

Poor old Wez. I wonder what's happened to him these days?

Yahoo group isn't the same without his 15 messages a day about his latest FT plans:

for sale/bought back/blinged up with LEDs/up for sale again/gonna keep it/make me an offer/selling on eBay definitely not gonna pull it/pulled it/on eBay again/pulled it again/sold to con artist/bought back NEVER selling/sold for magic beans/bought back/selling on eBay/what's it worth/no I won't pull it/pulled at last minute again/where's my antipsychotic medicine/what you lookin at mate/get down to Yates/sorted for Es and whizz/gobbledygook/I bought an XFiles/I love it/who wants to buy my XFiles it's a turd/anyone got a FT for sale/etc

Don't know about Wez but RudeDogg1 could be the new Wez in disguise, in a fashion, as looks like he is trying to trade his Shadow for anything or everything!!! :)

Lol nah not atall I just miss fixing em up I I don't even want rid yet. If I see something nice come up I just like to try my luck see if anyone wants to trade. BTW I've had the shadow since March not like wez who sells days later just for the record :0p

They remind me of my machine when I kitted it out. HS2 is so much fun may get another soon.

Enjoy the leds:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom