What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED OCD

Best upgrade you can possibly do to lighting if you intend to replace bulbs with leds but I guess you have to see it in person to appreciate just how good it is.

Looks great in TSPP.

Hey Megatron,

Do you have the LED OCD in a TSPP then?

If so what settings are you using? Just out of the box?

Cheers

Hey Megatron,

Do you have the LED OCD in a TSPP then?

If so what settings are you using? Just out of the box?

Cheers

Have you tried contacting the guy who makes the OCD? I believe he's very helpful with settings and configs for various machines.

After reading this thread it seems almost all the discussion has been about LED ghosting and eliminating it. There are several causes and different solutions depending upon the era of your pin.

But although LED OCD offers one solution to LED ghosting and flicker, that's not it's primary goal:

Why? What are you trying to fix?
LEDs are great for improving the colors and lighting up dim inserts, but pinball machines were designed to use incandescent bulbs. LEDs can look harsh and have flicker issues due to the way lamps are controlled. LED OCD allows you to customize how lamps are controlled in order to make them react more like incandescent bulbs, or just better in general.
I think the key phrase there is "react more like incandescent bulbs". Looking at the videos on the website the most obvious change is that the LEDs fade in and out in a very similar fashion to the way incandescent bulbs behave due to the inherent warm-up and cool-down of the element. Look at the way the vertical run of centre inserts "glide" from one to the next with LED OCD as the chase runs up the table instead of harshly changing chop-chop-chop one to the next without:

After reading this thread it seems almost all the discussion has been about LED ghosting and eliminating it. There are several causes and different solutions depending upon the era of your pin.

But although LED OCD offers one solution to LED ghosting and flicker, that's not it's primary goal:

Why? What are you trying to fix?
LEDs are great for improving the colors and lighting up dim inserts, but pinball machines were designed to use incandescent bulbs. LEDs can look harsh and have flicker issues due to the way lamps are controlled. LED OCD allows you to customize how lamps are controlled in order to make them react more like incandescent bulbs, or just better in general.
I think the key phrase there is "react more like incandescent bulbs". Looking at the videos on the website the most obvious change is that the LEDs fade in and out in a very similar fashion to the way incandescent bulbs behave due to the inherent warm-up and cool-down of the element. Look at the way the vertical run of centre inserts "glide" from one to the next with LED OCD as the chase runs up the table instead of harshly changing chop-chop-chop one to the next without:

I totally agree THIS is why I have purchased a board to test, and I like the results I will now get one for TSPP.

Sadly the B/W OCD offering will not work on 50hz (yet), the designer says at some stage he 'may' look into the timing issues, if they also worked on B/W pins I would also get them for my other pins, as they do make the LEDs look better (IMHO).

Sadly the B/W OCD offering will not work on 50hz (yet), the designer says at some stage he 'may' look into the timing issues, if they also worked on B/W pins I would also get them for my other pins, as they do make the LEDs look better (IMHO).

The B/W LED OCD should work fine on 50Hz, it's the GI OCD that doesn't support 50Hz right now.

In Harold's own words:

"GI OCD is a different story. It has not been tested with 50 Hz power, and I suspect that at a very minimum, it will require changes to the firmware to support the different timing. Determining this timing and being able to test will be a big challenge since I would not have access to a 50 Hz machine myself."
I'd be interested to know how you'd buy any B/W LED OCD's as Comet don't stock them and he won't ship direct outside of the US or Canada. Only way appears to be via a contact in the states (cheaper) or a forwarding address (so add on taxes etc.). The next batch get released on Monday so i'd be up for some cooperation!

Last edited:
Yes installed in TSPP and looks great. Kept the GI incandescent. From memory went with one below default so 70% brightness on all leds apart from itchy and scratchy and daredevil.

Most dramatic effect was in LOTR. Turned them down to 50% and looks awesome - richer than stock lighting but not over the top to spoil the feel of the playfield. Lovely sweeps and fades.

Comet does have them so that is your best bet. Or you could chat up a friendly american and save some import costs :)

Comet does have them so that is your best bet. Or you could chat up a friendly american and save some import costs :)
Comet is pretty good at dodging import duty ( so far anyway! Touch wood ) I've had 4 packages from him with no duty.

I totally agree THIS is why I have purchased a board to test, and I like the results I will now get one for TSPP.

I can confirm the B/W LED OCD (for matrix inserts) does work on 50Hz games. It uses 18VDC from the Power Driver board. Looks great! Sadly I had to pack the game away for a few months but hoping to fit one in SM very soon too and that's currently set-up.

Back
Top Bottom