What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Labyrinth, from Barrels of fun!

The elephant in the room is 'have they got manufacturing sorted?'. There have been many impressive releases where they have fallen down on actually building them.

They have Paul Sulisz from American PInball heading up the manufacturing, and the rest of the core team are pilfered from one pinball company or another. I'm confident they'll get them out. Bit concerned on the reliability front though, especially the early games. It took Dutch ages to dial in TBL. I feel like they had less experience at the start that this team does though.

Pulp fiction is really like a breath of fresh air in the way of recent themes. This game won't touch it.

That's a big call considering we haven't even seen a scrap of gameplay from this.

That's a big call considering we haven't even seen a scrap of gameplay from this.

Hardly, I'll help you out. Neil filmed at expo the first time I saw it and they have been going round most shows there.

Gameplay

Featurette

Flipperama

If you buy a movie pin, you want the movie, you want to play the movie, you want the movie in a box, you want as much as possible from the assets and not spin offs different actor voices etc. Impossible to get in most cases but if you can't then leave it alone. Take the best selling as an example Addams family made when the movie came out, hype train is there, license and actors are all game for it as well.
Okay, speaking as someone who has watched the trailers, I think what I’ve seen so far encapsulates the movie pretty well, unless your major personal appeal was Jennifer Connelly, who they didn’t seem to have got the licence for (I don’t think).

Plus, I was at expo. And played pulp fiction. Didn't see you there @dave 😆

You won't either lol, thought you on about pulp fiction 🤣 Haven't left the country since 1998 and wouldn't break that just to look at games over there,.

You have the lady in the video playing the game so there is some gameplay in that video.

Okay, speaking as someone who has watched the trailers, I think what I’ve seen so far encapsulates the movie pretty well, unless your major personal appeal was Jennifer Connelly, who they didn’t seem to have got the licence for (I don’t think).

Lol. Not my personal appeal, no. If you take the trolls out you are left with Bowie, no baby and no Jenny. It's Labyrinth in name only and no value in that license for just Bowie and Trolls imo.

You won't either lol, thought you on about pulp fiction 🤣 Haven't left the country since 1998 and wouldn't break that just to look at games over there,.

You have the lady in the video playing the game so there is some gameplay in that video.

Lol okay. Well how about this, when I actually play Labyrinth at expo next week (neils video was from tpf not expo) I'll let you know how it plays then you can tell everyone how much better you assume pulp fiction is after that 😉👍

Lol okay. Well how about this, when I actually play Labyrinth at expo next week (neils video was from tpf not expo) I'll let you know how it plays then you can tell everyone how much better you assume pulp fiction is after that 😉👍

Well there are interesting shots, at the very least it might be fun to flip for 10 minutes for a £1.

Not fun to drop whatever the asking price of this dual screen bad boy is though and the resale value compared to a PF doesn't even come close.

PF will do better down to the license, cab and simplicity of game.

(neils video was from tpf not expo)

I beg your pardon there, I should have at least go that one correct as it says where it's at in the title.

Last edited:
I like your style @dave doubling down on a 1 minute promo video, a game you haven't touched yet and some pretty dubious intuition. Power to you man.

I will definitely make a call on this one that in the future PF is a much well sought after game that stands the test of time. Just stating the obvious and people love PF more than I do.

Can’t remember… was this definitely PG rated?
View attachment 234730
No it was a U.

My wife loves this film, we tried to get our daughters to watch it and they where petrified, they never got passed the baby being kidnapped.

I wouldn't say it's a good film, but if you where young when you watched it you will still like it. My young work colleague absolutely loves spy kids because he watched it as a kid, again wouldn't say that's a good film either.

Labyrinth is Bowie and the trolls for most fans. The majority of existing merch is either based on the Goblin king or the creatures, with the Ello worm and Ludo on tons of it. I doubt Connolly's absence would affect many fans interest in this theme.

I will definitely make a call on this one that in the future PF is a much well sought after game that stands the test of time. Just stating the obvious and people love PF more than I do.
Okay, I’m personally jury out on PF without playing one. Reason being that there are currently AFAIK three single-level modern pins.

The Beatles, which is basically Seawitch with a few shot tweaks and a simple ‘feature-based’ modeset, e.g. shoot spinners, shoot loops. Obviously, Seawitch has good DNA, The Beatles have great music and ‘shoot feature’ works well as a simple mode structure.

TNA, which does something very specific - it uses modern tech to massively speed up very simple SS gameplay. The lack of ramps, etc. means it’s super fast and the souped-up modern bumpers/slingshots make it incredibly challenging. It’s the epitome of ‘easy to learn, hard to master’ and there’s a reason it’s a cult hit and a regular on the tournament circuit.

Bond 60th Anniversary, which is IMO a clusterf**k that is saved only by having Elwin on layout. I personally think it’s an interesting pin, but it is a total flawed mess of weird art/reels, and overly complex rules delivered through a tiny LCD screen.

In short, we have three single level pins. One is TNA. One is souped-up Seawitch. The third is a mess...

With those odds, the idea that an original modern pin with a single level is automatically going to be super great doesn’t really fly… There is a real possibility it will be ‘too hard except for tournament players’, ‘too complex/messy rules-wise’ or have some other issue, which really isn’t possible to judge based on a few expo/promotional videos.

Its hard - but in the same way TNA is hard. You feel like you're in a constant battle to keep the ball in play. I love that because its exciting - but it's not going to appeal to everyone. Dave is right in the sense that it is a game that is apealling to a lot of people, right now. Before anyone's actually taken delivery. Whether that translates to long term appeal, repeat playability.. a strong second hand market.. only time will tell. As you've pointed out - it depends on a *lot* more than the appeal of the movie, that's for sure.

Likewise, as exciting as a promo video can be sometimes, it tells you less that nothing about the long term viability of the game. Are the ramp shots buttery? Is it clunky? Do the modes make sense? Will there be decent (and timely) code updates? Will the playfield hold up? Will the FAST boardset prove itself in a production system? Who the f knows! To make out like you know the answer to these questions based on a one minute video, and because Labyrinth isn't Labyrinth without J Connely and some rando baby in it, is laughable.

The Beatles, which is basically Seawitch with a few shot tweaks and a simple ‘feature-based’ modeset, e.g. shoot spinners, shoot loops. Obviously, Seawitch has good DNA, The Beatles have great music and ‘shoot feature’ works well as a simple mode structure.

With those odds, the idea that an original modern pin with a single level is automatically going to be super great doesn’t really fly… There is a real possibility it will be ‘too hard except for tournament players’, ‘too complex/messy rules-wise’ or have some other issue, which really isn’t possible to judge based on a few expo/promotional videos.

There are few more and remake. Fathom (expensive). Celts the Pinball, Punny Factory and Centaur remake? (mega bucks). Fathom looks a beauty also compared to this.

Sounds like you may not like the flatbeds. Too simple and want more depth. F14 has to be on the same level as PF because it's just wire, VUKs. Seawitch Beatles is good just mega bucks for what you get.

I prefer they were more difficult but not impossible. No point playing an easy game as it just an unchallenging grind. A lot of these modern have so many shots you can't brick & perfect feeds back to the flippers for 2 hour games.

A lot of these modern have so many shots you can't brick & perfect feeds back to the flippers for 2 hour games.

Either you're the worlds best player or you're playing completely different games to the rest of us. What non brickable modern are you playing 2hr games on?

IE pinball are tournament level players. What are you saying? That GZ is easy?
Longer ball times on that particular modern game which is down to more shot, better feed, selection menus, no skip video.

Longer ball times on that particular modern game which is down to more shot, better feed, selection menus, no skip video.
You know more shots actually makes shots narrower and harder to make? Less shots = wider easier shots....

You know more shots actually makes shots narrower and harder to make? Less shots = wider easier shots....

If you take standard fan with as many shots then it's a flow game, you hit them over and over which is why you have to make a good amount to progress, which is what people call chopping wood.

Spoke to Phil yesterday and he seemed confident he'd be the distributor. Pretty sure the first 10 in the states will be gone by now, word is they're gearing up for another 300 (which will be the $1000 deposits, rather than the paid in full people). If its a stone cold banger, and early players at expo start hyping it, it will be interesting to see how quickly those 300 get allocated. I'm not even convinced they had the UK/Europe in mind on launch.

This conversation feels like chopping wood

Go make some mods for Expo then. All this time you've wasted so far you could have made a new pop up troll mod or something constructive. Just because someone else has different opinion no need throw toys.

Back
Top Bottom