What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jumpers on WPC Coin Door Interface

Parisno

Registered
I am putting a C220 coin mech in my T2, all connected up via a home made cable and "seems" to be working, trouble is coins do award the correct number of credits, set in the T2s menu to be correct, but seem to have different values or even no value (sent out the reject slot on the C220) depending on the jumper settings on the board (Red square). Does anyone know what the jumpers do and how they should be set, seems the T2 manual is not much help

Attachments

• IMG_0473.jpg
    IMG_0473.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 22
I'll try those settings tomorrow, thanks for the pointer.

With my settings the number of units changes with the jumper settings
eg; Left coin set to 1 unit, credits set to 1 per 1 unit
Jumper 5 set to on Left coin = 4 Units = 4 Credits
Jumper 5 changed to off Left coin = 1 Unit = 1 Credit
Jumper 5 set back to on Left coin = 4 Units = 4 Credits
Jumper 5 set back to off Left coin = 1 Unit = 1 Credit
Nothing other than the jumper changed, not even powered off

I may be messing up the correlation between "coins 1 through 4" on the C220 and "Left, centre, right and fourth coin slots" in the T2 menu, but the jumper changing things is puzzling

The 8-way switch on the interface board controls the coin acceptor, it shouldn't have any effect on the machines' "Pricing Scheme" set on/in the Cpu board memory.

There was an additional information sheet about the C220 door and interface, supplied with games that had it factory fitted. As I recall*, the switch functions on the interface board are, from the top;

• Switch 1 On to accept or Off to reject all coins
  • Switch 2 selects 4-coin or 8-coin mode (a C220 acceptor has eight channels or stored values for different coins)
  • Switch 8 enables/inhibits channel 1 of the acceptor (not necessarily coin 1 of the machine/pricing scheme)
  • Switch 7 acts on channel 2 of the acceptor
  • Switch 6 acts on channel 3
  • Switch 5 acts on channel 4
  • Switch 4 acts on channels 5 & 6
  • Switch 3 acts on channels 7 & 8
Usually, channel 1 is programmed for the £1 coin, and the machines' wiring connects to the interface board with this as Left Coin, (machine) switch D1, and so on, in decreasing value, down to 10 pence coin as channel 4 (and 8, while there were two coins in use), 4th coin, D4. This was how the old 10 pence coin could be locked out when an operator chose to do so, and the reason that I couldn't see why Williams bothered to add an adaptor board to the acceptor for this purpose.

There may still be some games with the order of the D1 to 4 coin switches reversed, by me, to match the assignments of older system 11 games, i.e. in increasing order of value, with Left coin as 10 pence, Centre as 20 pence, Right as 50 pence and 4th as £1. The interface board adjustments remained the same, but the machine saw the acceptor output from a £1 coin on D4 rather than D1, and so on.

* Not entirely correctly, as it turns out. Note alterations.

Last edited:
Thanks both for the help.
Set up pricing as per the link supplied by @Paul
Messing about with the jumpers as supplied by @Jay Walker
J1 and J2 on all coins register on switch D2 - Centre coin slot (50p)
J1 and J5 on 10p registers on switch D4 - 4th coin slot (10p)
J1 and J7 on 50p registers on switch D2 - Centre coin slot (50p)

For info my homemade connecting wire is made up like this (and tested OK)
Thanks both for the help.
Set up pricing as per the link supplied by @Paul
Messing about with the jumpers as supplied by @Jay Walker
J1 and J2 on all coins register on switch D2 - Centre coin slot (50p)
J1 and J5 on 10p registers on switch D4 - 4th coin slot (10p)
J1 and J7 on 50p registers on switch D2 - Centre coin slot (50p)

For info my homemade connecting wire is made up like this (and tested OK)

C220C220PinballPinball
PinPin
Comm.A13COMA
Acc.1215COIN1
N/C32N/C
Acc.2414COIN2
Acc.3513COIN3
Select612SEL.
Acc.475COIN4
Inh.489ENABLE COINS 4
12v94+12VDC
0v101PWR.GND
Inh.3118ENABLE COINS 3
Inh.2127ENABLE COINS 2
Inh.1136ENABLE COINS 1
Inh.5/61410ENABLE COINS 5/6
Inh.5/71511ENABLE COINS 7/8

I have 2 C220s (Seller on e-bay messed up my address, but that's another story) and the 2nd one is exactly the same, I'm guessing the seller had not programmed them the way they say they have
1 - £1
2 - 50p
3 - 20p
4 - 10p
6 - £2

Does anyone know how to set the unit value for slots 5 through 8 in the T2s menu, it only seems to have settings for Left, Centre, Right and 4th

@Paul In some past posts you have been reprograming these C220s or selling correctly programmed mechs is this something you are still doing?

Williams WPC games do only have 4 coin inputs, just as System 11 games were limited to three. The C220 having eight channels allows it to overlap channels; No.1 with No.5, 2 with 6, 3 with 7, and 4 with 8. When the current 10 pence was introduced, the two versions were paired on 4 and 8 (I forget which way round). So if your acceptors have the £2 coin on ch.6, it's paired with 50 pence on ch.2. To use the £2 coin as things stand, I think you'd have to sacrifice one of the other four, and have nothing paired up in the channels.

Each coin output from the acceptor showed (as originally built) on a different Coin 'D' switch; £1 coin as D1, 50 pence as D2, 20 pence as D3, and 10 pence (whether from channel 4 or 8) as D4

Actually, an apology is due. I was mistaken about the order of switch assignments. No.1 is accept/reject all, and No.2 select 4/8. but the others are reversed, i.e.
  • Switch 3 controls channels 7 & 8
  • Switch 4 controls channels 5 & 6
  • Switch 5 controls channel 4
  • Switch 6 controls channel 3
  • Switch 7 controls channel 2
  • Switch 8 controls channel 1
The manual for T2 has a schematic for the interface board, showing electronic acceptor components and pin-outs. Looking at that, your interconnect cable is right. I'd try turning off 8 coin mode (switch 2), inhibiting channels 5-8 using switches 3 & 4 (Off), and having the first 4 channels enabled (switches 1 and 5 thru 8 On, as you've already partially seen). Switches 1 & 6 On ought to show 20 pence on D3, switches 1 and 8 should show £1 as D1.

Last edited:
Yup.

However i only program slots 1-4 (£1, 50p,20p10p). This is because anything higher than this is a bit of a bastardisation.

EDIT - i was typing this and saw Jay's entry above which sums it up.

What it would basically do is, if 50p was paired with £2, the machine would be set to accept 50p 4 times if memory serves me right.

Starting to make a bit of sense now;
J1 - On - To accept coins
J2 - Off - Sets 4 coin mode
J3 - Off - Coin 7 & Coin 8 off
J4 - Off - Coin 5 & Coin 6 (£2) off
J5 - Off - Coin 4 (10p pretty useless at 50p/play) off
J6 - Off - Coin 3 (20p does not seem to work with my C220s) off
J7 - On - Coin 2 (50p) on - Registers D1 or Left coin
J8 - On - Coin 1 (£1) on - Registers D2 or Centre coin
Set to 50p/play no bonus plays and 50p=1 play, £1=2 plays, £2 passes straight through

Ideally I would like it to accept £2 coins as well, but if I enable 8 Coin mode by setting J2 on all coins 50p, £1, £2 give 3 credits, this happens whatever I do with J4 - Coin 5 & Coin 6 (£2)

@Paul If I send you one of the C220s would it be possible for you to program it
Coin 1 - £2
Coin 2 - £1
Coin 3 - 50p
Coin 4 - 20p
Coin 5 through 8 - Blank
If so let me know how much/where to send and I'll post it up

I'm happy to do it, however i will only do £1, 50p, 20p, 10p on a c220. For the reasons i mentioned above.

There is a reason why these are programmed as they are.

https://e-service.co.uk/can program these, however i dont know if they will program as your request... https://e-service.co.uk/product/coin-mechanism-programming/ - you would need to speak to them as this listing will only program as per standard same as i do.

The long and short is i can program them to take virtually anything, however there's no guarantee this will give you the right number of credits

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, the reason I want this is I am putting the pinball in the office canteen as a charity raising stunt, £1/play £2/3 plays, on-site for a month, high scores win donated prizes, all monies to charity.
This will be the second time, the first time raised well over £700 with an honesty tin for credits. My employer has stated we cannot repeat this as the sum raised was larger than they expected and they want some kind of auditing in place and this is all I can think of.
With the mech programmed
Coin 1 - £2
Coin 2 - £1
Coin 3 - 50p
Coin 4 - 20p
Coin 5 through 8 - Blank
I can set coin 1 to 20 units, coin 2 to 10 units, coin 3 to 5 units and coin 4 to 2 units
Ten units = 1 credit
Bonus level = 20 units
Bonus = 1 credit
The pinball has loads of features that I can use for auditing and everyone is kept happy.

@Paul Completely understand if you don't want to program the mech this way, but is my logic flawed in some way, will this not work the way I think it will? Better to just accept £1 and 50p if I will be wasting money getting a C220 re-programmed.

Back
Top Bottom