What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Judge Dredd

I did manage to have a game.

My god this is a great game.....there's a lot of pinball packed into this table
Agree there is a lot of stuff going on, the supergame add a whole other game too!

Did you put a pin2dmd in yours? I am working thru the project and have coloured lots of scenes now and slowly making progress on the keframes so maybe when I have it a bit further you might be interested in giving it a go?

Agreee there is a lot of stuff going on, the supergame add a whole other game too!
Did you put a pin2dmd in yours? I am working thru the project and have coloured lots of scenes now and slowly making progress on the keframes so maybe when I have it a bit further you might be interested in giving it a go?

I didn't install it yet. Seen a guy on vp universe is working on one too.

Definitely be interested in giving it a go when you have it done man..it's such a colourful game, needs a coloured dmd

Yeah that might be me, set up a WIP there as it seems to be more active for projects and help. Defo looks much better with colour there are so many animations and great scenes that look great coloured
Yeah just checked the username and it is you. It's looking great man. Well done

So everything reassembled.

Still a few issues. The right fire button wasnt working so I shorted it to the right outlane just to get a couple of games and see how it plays.

The air raid mode is starting without hitting the air raid ramp and it's telling me to launch a ball even when there's none in the right side launcher. Seems to go into that mode when I hit the drop targets bank and other stuff random times

So there's definitely a little wiring issue..wondering if it could be one of the pcbs by the coindoor

Attachments

• PXL_20210311_224748766.jpg
    PXL_20210311_224748766.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
So just an update.

Been playing perfect now for a good while.

Air raid sorted itself out after a few games and not happening anymore.

So here's what's left:

2-3 micro switches need replacing

Crane needs to be adjusted (never realised how little it's used in game too)

New deadworld plastic

A few LED flashers for under the pf

A topper

Have one last bigger issue. The right fire button wasnt working. It's looking like a hardware problem. I currently have it shorted to one of the switches on the pf and working fine. So I do need to get stuck in and find a broken wire (no luck yet) or if it's something else gone in one of the boards under the pf

Hello, Jack,

Judge Dredd has more switches in the cabinet than most pins, so the left and right Fire buttons and Buy-In are connected using the small pcb with 5 diodes, fitted half-way to the back of the cabinet on the left side. Right side Fire connects through D 2 on that board, according to the manual. To check if it's open circuit, you could temporarily jumper across it to see if Fire Right then shows as switch "12" in the switch test grid. Or, to check the wiring to the pcb, jump Column 1 (Green-brown, J 1, pin 1) to Row 2 (White-red, J 1, pin 4) on the 'machine' side of the board.

Last edited:
Back again with this pin.

Unfortunately a full column of switches stopped working. Replaced U20 with the help of @cathaldub but still no joy.

Just had a bash there at it and the air raid mode was constantly setting up so definitely something is wrong. One of the optos isn't registering too so have to do a bit of testing to fix this out.

If U20 looks good, if checked the connection on the cable to the board and swapped it to the one below and still not working. Whats the next step?

It's column 5 that's gone

Attachments

• PXL_20230406_202819392.jpg
    PXL_20230406_202819392.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 3
Go into switch test and connect J207-5 to any of the column pins on the CPU with a piece of wire. See if you get the switches to register. If yes, you have a cable break in green-black between the CPU and the first switch (can also be the plug on J207). If no, something is wrong on your CPU. Does it have battery damage?

Go into switch test and connect J207-5 to any of the column pins on the CPU with a piece of wire. See if you get the switches to register. If yes, you have a cable break in green-black between the CPU and the first switch (can also be the plug on J207). If no, something is wrong on your CPU. Does it have battery damage?
Tried that and not registering. Battery has been replaced with a button battery and all

Then you have an issue on the board. First thing is to buzz out from J207-5 to U20. If that connection is there we work onwards.

Luckily @cathaldub sent me some chips and I piggybacked on U14 and column is registering.

Hopefully that's the issue sorted. Now I just have to sort out a few other issues on it and get it looking good.

New topper
Pinblades
Few more LEDs
Dredd figure MOD
Crane mod
Plastic protectors

Good progress! For my understanding, what fried the new U20? You replaced it already, correct?

Good progress! For my understanding, what fried the new U20? You replaced it already, correct?
It was socketed but not replaced as I was waiting on them to arrive.

Not sure what fried them but this and my TOM both for MPU errors on the same day so could it have been a power surge?

Not likely. Usually a short into coil power when meddling with something.

Yeah it's an odd one. It was just setup and playing and wasn't being worked on or anything. Sure these things just happen sometimes I suppose.

I'll go over the whole machine anyway and make sure nothings a miss

Yes, make sure no lugs/cables touch metal - have seen plenty where a coil was touching the mount (rubbed through paper and isolation, turned lug) and there was a switch then touching above the playfield, even had one where a diverter made contact to the switch mount bracket when activated, that was hard to find...

Yes, make sure no lugs/cables touch metal - have seen plenty where a coil was touching the mount (rubbed through paper and isolation, turned lug) and there was a switch then touching above the playfield, even had one where a diverter made contact to the switch mount bracket when activated, that was hard to find...
Noted. Thanks very much for the tips.

My right fire button is still not working normally. I'll have to get that little board at the front of the cab seen to

Back with this pin again and more problems

Had something blow the U20 so it was repaired and socketed and just fired up for a game this week and a column is gone again, aswell as the right fire button not working (works in switch test) and air raid mode coming on too frequently.

Looking to get this pin fully sorted now. I have a spare U20 but holding off putting it in until i find out the problem

Thinking that there's something in the cabinet causing a short somewhere. Any tips of what to look for with this particular pin?

Generally shorts between coils and switches.
Spent a while last night looking for something and cant see anything yet

No touching wires or anything touching bare metal i can see anyway

Ill get the headlamp out tonight and go through it more

If it doesn't fry instantly it may well be something happening on vibration or a coil being activated. Coils can fry or rub through the plastic bobbin and only make contact to metal when activated. Difficult to find.

If it doesn't fry instantly it may well be something happening on vibration or a coil being activated. Coils can fry or rub through the plastic bobbin and only make contact to metal when activated. Difficult to find.
That makes sense. Thank you

Theres a single column gone so id guess is something in that selection of coils so. I'll dig a little deeper

Back
Top Bottom