What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Judge Dredd

Look on the market place on Pinside for the topper

Had a look there alright and didn't see anything. TBH I'm not interested in spending a heap of money on one at the moment so looking to get something a bit more wallet friendly if I can

If you can wait I'm repairing a mates official topper and going to make a mould from it, casts will come in different finishes (paint, metal powders etc), I'll start a thread once I get going so you can keep up to date with progress. I can't commit to pricing until I get further along but hoping to keep costs down and offer a fair price.

Are you ready to try the Pin2dmd colouring yet? I got the work-in-progress project from VPU which doesn't contain much, perhaps best to start again. I've done the graded score display and now below, I'm happy to do a few more of the most commonly used scenes, colouring progress really adheres to the 80/20 principle.

1612448443081.png

Are you ready to try the Pin2dmd colouring yet? I got the work-in-progress project from VPU which doesn't contain much, perhaps best to start again. I've done the graded score display and now below, I'm happy to do a few more of the most commonly used scenes, colouring progress really adheres to the 80/20 principle.

View attachment 131821
That looks amazing. I have just finished building pin2dmd for my JD and want to attempt a colour file hopefully you can give me some tips/work together on this!

If you can wait I'm repairing a mates official topper and going to make a mould from it, casts will come in different finishes (paint, metal powders etc), I'll start a thread once I get going so you can keep up to date with progress. I can't commit to pricing until I get further along but hoping to keep costs down and offer a fair price.

Sounds brilliant! Definitely keep me posted on that one

View attachment 131821

That looks brilliant. TBH I have no idea how to colour those files but happy to help as much as I can. I'll get my pin2dmd installed next week too

My parts order from pinball centre arrived today. Everything pretty much standard with rubbers, posts etc

Ordered a PF LED kit. Now I know I really should have read the detailed breakdown of it but the so called "kit" only had LEDs for the inserts.

No flashers and no gi. Pretty disappointing 😂 they have a backbox kit and a pf kit, so thought it was safe to assume the pf kit would have them. No flashers either by the looks of it

Last edited:
Got another few bits done tonight, just the few ramps cleaned and tested out a coupke of the noflix LEDs, they are grand, no exactly mind blowing. TBH I'm really disappointed with pinball centre. Rubber kit was missing 2 rubbers. The LED placement guide is an "instant download" from the site too. It's a free item and you add it to your cart. Ordered it 3 times tonight and still waiting on it

Got the drop bank decals on though

PXL_20210205_221829631.jpgPXL_20210205_222309335.jpg

Next up is a coupe of new switch's, a coil replacement and get the crane motor sorted out? It's squealing like a pig, just take the motor off and give it a good cleaning? Or what do you guys suggest?

Looking good, I did the drop target decals too makes it look so much better than plain black!

I would take the crane motor out and give it a clean/check over its not to bad a job. Take the crane assy of the top then under the pf a few bolts and a connector and it pulls out. Will make it much easier to find the issue with it off

Re the LEDs, some people (me included) do prefer keeping incandescents in the flashers. The inserts are what benefit most from LED upgrades.

Looking good, I did the drop target decals too makes it look so much better than plain black!

I would take the crane motor out and give it a clean/check over its not to bad a job. Take the crane assy of the top then under the pf a few bolts and a connector and it pulls out. Will make it much easier to find the issue with it off
Yeah I was having a look last night and asked @Cryptkeeper @cathaldub about it and they said the same. I'll get it out over the weekend hopefully and give it a look

Re the LEDs, some people (me included) do prefer keeping incandescents in the flashers. The inserts are what benefit most from LED upgrades.

I finally got their insert guide downloaded and there's flasher LEDs included but they don't look like 12v flashers to me. Look like standard 6v

Cheap In stern terms but not for a glued bit of plastic with a rusty bracket... someone thought it was cheap enough though, it’s gone

TBH I probably would have bought that if it was in Ireland. A proper repair and a high gloss mirror finish gold spray would fix it right up.

Bit more done tonight with the judge.

Pulled out the crane motor for a look and found a good bit of crud on the sliding arm mech. Cleaned everything up with some isopropyl alcohol and gave it a test. Motor making no unusual noises with the sliding arm gone so hooked everything back up and tested it out with the pf vertical, again no noise.

IMG-20210208-WA0009.jpeg

Everything back down and squeelng again. So it's 100% coming from that. I have to double check I'm not missing a washer but after checking the manual I don't think I am. So wondering do I polish the piece up or does is need a small bit of lube? Any suggestions

All the inserts are LED now so that's looking nice

View attachment PXL_20210208_222343967.LS.mp4

So I went to find the blown transistor tonight and I found a lot more....now I'm 99% sure this isn't a feature of the game so here goes.

Powered on and the a left slingshot instantly powers on and stays on. So I powered off and snipped the brown wire into the coil so I could at least turn id on and test.

So when I test the switches on both slings the deadworld and crane start to move. A fraction each time with each press of the switch. I have zero idea what's going on here now. I did notice some damage from what must have been leaky batteries once upon a time.

I've attached videos

View attachment VID-20210211-WA0030.mp4
View attachment PXL_20210211_220501413.LS.mp4

Attachments

• PXL_20210211_222220892.jpg
    PXL_20210211_222220892.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 25
Cleaned it off with some isopropyl alcohol last night.

What's the next step to figure this out? There has been something's on the loom redone but the few I opened up looked ok. Reckon it's wiring or a board problem?
IMG-20210211-WA0039.jpeg

On the good side of things some more LEDs arrived today from Pinball Emporium. So at the very least it will be looking well this weekend PXL_20210212_141046155.jpg

Got the LEDs all installed tonight.
PXL_20210212_220429184.jpg
At least it's looking well now on top. But I'll add maybe 2 spot lights to the centre of the pf. Looks a little dull now to me

Anyone have any idea what might be causing the coil/motor issue?

Cleaned it off with some isopropyl alcohol last night.

What's the next step to figure this out? There has been something's on the loom redone but the few I opened up looked ok. Reckon it's wiring or a board problem?
View attachment 132505

Remove and replace all the green legged components and any mushy grey (instead of shiny silver) soldered components. As described here:
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Repairing_Alkaline_Corrosion

You need to neutralise the corrosion first before using IPA.

Also take the battery holder off the board and add a remote holder or install NVRAM.

Yep I'll get all that done.

Would any of that be causing the crane moving issue?
Possibly, the switch test matrix ought to give you an idea. It could just be a bad connection but you need to sort the barberry corrosion first otherwise you'll always be chasing your tail.

I'll be replacing it with the board from my STTNG this weekend anyway and sending the JD off for repair off a friend who's way better at board work than I will ever be.

I'll get that in tonight and check the switch matrix.

So the boards went away for a service since and everything seems to be working well......almost

The right fire button isn't working. I've shorted it and replaced the switch so it looks to be a wiring problem. Should have it fixed soon enough.

The other problem is a bit of an odd one. The crane and motor are moving with switches still. I've attached a video, really no clue what's going on, could it be a grounding issue or something?

During gameplay everything worked fine and I didn't notice the crane or planet move with the switches then. I also realized how little the crane moves with the virtual lock
View attachment PXL_20210308_215953763.mp4

I have a video using the missile launch switch and the crane movement is a lot more obvious there

I did manage to have a game.

My god this is a great game.....there's a lot of pinball packed into this table

Now if I could fix my own bloody board I’d be doing well, sound boards were never my thing[emoji30]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Spots are easy to do 😀
Its the other 12 that are a problem 🤣

Attachments

• 1615298569157223549700864140881.jpg
    1615298569157223549700864140881.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 19
Back
Top Bottom