What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Indiana Jones Software Rewrite - DMD colorising & and other progress

Play Expo 11th-12th October - See it in person

That show is miles away from me. I usually prefer to browse pin stuff on the internet as its a lot cheaper. :rofl:

No vid? No problem. Its just harder to convey the brilliance of what you are doing without one. ;):thumbs:

My friend Eric (of Cactus Canyon Continued fame) is helping me out with colourising the indy dmd frames for my Indy software rewrite project. Its too cool not to show a quick peek. I hope to have more when I demo the game at my hacking lab stand in october at play expo with the NLP guys.

and color dmd have announced...

Gilligans Island:eek:

yeah it was a clue - the yellow and orange letters from Gilligans Island mixed up spell "Indiana"

and color dmd have announced...
Gilligans Island:eek:

I'm looking forward to seeing how the colourdmd guys got on with it. Bizarely i will be showing my indy project and its progress on all fronts colourisation included a few days before they do.

Play Expo - 11th 12th October
Pinball Expo - 15th - 19th October

I'm interested to see how they've done frames such as

Screen Shot 2014-08-20 at 19.54.54.png

as myself and Eric have added extra colour gradients here that did not exist before in the original dmd data.

As for my progress on all thing indy, here the new coloured match scene

Screen Shot 2014-09-16 at 15.02.19.png

No worries. This was always going to be released. It actually shows that there is a route to getting approval for new things indy based :) The colorisation that myself and Eric are doing is just 1 part of a much larger indy rewrite that i've been working on for over 3 and half years. I have a lot of freedom having rewritten the code form scratch and the colour side is no exception here so come over and see my project at play expo and how it coming along. The more cool things for indy the better i say.

And here's a new animation we just coloured for eternal life!

Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 12.09.04.png

On the software side, i just added a pause game function to using the right flipper and buy in buttons (like on TZ L9.4H)

This is a P-ROC project so it need a p-roc board and computer just like Cactus Canyon Continued does

On the software side, i just added a pause game function to using the right flipper and buy in buttons (like on TZ L9.4H)

That pause function is very handy, especially when the ball gets stuck during a good game!

Is there a way you capture frames from the original machine during game play or are you limited to dumping the frames from the rom?

Is there a way you capture frames from the original machine during game play or are you limited to dumping the frames from the rom?

If you run it via pinmame you can 'dump on the fly', otherwise you need wpcedit to access the rom data.

* Thank you by the way for bringing my thread back on topic.

Sone pics of a mode i've added for especially for play expo. Maybe we'll even get to play it at the right time ;)

POWIE!

IMG_2997.JPG IMG_2998.JPG IMG_2999.jpg

Looking good, although I will say sack off that featureless piece of crap that is pyprocgame and use the Mission Pinball Framework, which works with the P-ROC boards. It actually has features you'd expect from a Pinball OS, like ball devices, rather than pyprocgame which has sod all pinball related features and is more like a SCADA OS. It's also actively worked on, unlike pyprocgame.

https://missionpinball.com/framework/

Probably going to go to NLP so will have to pop over and have a chat.

Looking good, although I will say sack off that featureless piece of crap that is pyprocgame and use the Mission Pinball Framework, which works with the P-ROC boards. It actually has features you'd expect from a Pinball OS, like ball devices, rather than pyprocgame which has sod all pinball related features and is more like a SCADA OS. It's also actively worked on, unlike pyprocgame.

https://missionpinball.com/framework/

Probably going to go to NLP so will have to pop over and have a chat.

Yep, come on over and have a look at all my projects. Is going to be a blast.

I know Brian and the work he's doing with the MPF and it's starting to look pretty sweet now there's more features. It definitely shows the evolution of the hacker movement and frameworks, but i don't think you can call pyprocgame 'crap'. I've been working (on and off ) on Indy for 3 and half years so when started I found pyprocgame a real breath of fresh air. I also think its paved the way for things like MPF to be developed.

For me, i used the procgame framework without too many issues and built the things missing into it myself, either by subclassing or replacing as required. Therefore when starting on a second game the process was much quicker and smoother. Once the MPF is more complete i may look to use it on my next rewrite

This is my main bone of contention with pyprocgame, there doesn't seem to be any joint community effort to make it better, rather it seems every P-ROC project ends up 'reinventing the wheel' and duplicating effort. I'd rather spend my time working on game rules and content, rather than having to write and bugtest code for features which should be in the framework in the first place.

Yes i tend to agree, plenty to discuss on that front to. I tried to get some updates put back in to the main build but to no avail. MPF looks to address all this. I'm most interested to see how a generic ball lock controller will work and be able to cope with all the differing williams engineers mechs! :)

The indy idol mech along with included subway lockup and popper mechs were a swine to get working correctly, especially in multiple player modes. Still refining to!

A few people over on the pinside world have asked about the ARC typo present in the original game and therefore still in the colourDMD version. Fear not pinheads, it is fixed in my version :)

colour test

Screen Shot 2014-09-25 at 18.57.14.png

standard

IMG_3002.JPG

Some colour examples of quick multi ball running and the improved adventure screen with new 3 colour fading

Also have the stacking for the 2 mutliballs working ok now. Hopefully will run sweet over play expo. You can stack them in the order of quick multiball running then start main multi ball and be able to collect both jackpots. If quick mutliball isn't started first you don't get the stacking you just get the regular 5 million added to the jackpot for the captive ball shot.

Also, in normal quick multi ball play you can now add a ball by a shot to the mode start hole

Screen Shot 2014-09-26 at 18.55.21.png
Screen Shot 2014-09-26 at 18.54.35.png
Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 09.49.55.png

We are getting there for the play expo show. Lots of updates done to the code base (see https://github.com/mypinballs/indianajones) Lcd screen installed in the game and new computer setup. Colour dmd graphics look amazing.

A few new screen graphics getting added then its time to pack up and get ready for transportation

Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 20.34.30.png

Some new pics of more coloured frames. Note the sunset on the horse loop animation. We really pushed the limit here pinside.com_img_smilies_icon_smile.gif Eric worked his magic yet again based on my ideas from the end of the grail film and nailed it perfectly. We have been adding 'sky and ground' fills into the loop animations as some of the day scenes appear like they are at night when the original dmd graphics are converted to colour. This is something that remains an issue for the colourdmd work. Luckily for us, we can change/update any of the dot data.

img_f.pinside.com_201412_2076288_325876_i.png

On the truck loop animation, we added sky and better ground colourisation which really added to the depth
img_f.pinside.com_201412_2076288_325877_i.pngimg_f.pinside.com_201412_2076288_325883_i.png

Some more text based colourisations to:

img_f.pinside.com_201412_2076288_325880_i.pngimg_f.pinside.com_201412_2076288_325878_i.png

And the start of the extra ball animation:

img_f.pinside.com_201412_2076288_325879_i.png

Back
Top Bottom