What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Importing pins from the EU. Does VAT & Duty apply

Ads Nems

Site Supporter
Alias
Adam
I know theres a few threads on the subject but havent kept up with the latest rules. If I import a pin from mainland Europe, will i have to pay VAT and duties on it?

Depends how you bring it in i guess. Man with a van shouldn't have a problem.

The issue you have now though, is how easy is it for man in vans to cross the border whilst very obviously being full of goods and not being stopped by customs?

One would think most are going to get stopped and asked for paperwork, it's all part of taking back control.

yes to both. But there is no duty on pinball machines.

Van more likely to get pulled than a big 4x4 I'd have thought.

VAT is calculated against the declared value on the shipping invoice. Used machines greatly depreciate in value didn't you know!

VAT is calculated against the declared value on the shipping invoice. Used machines greatly depreciate in value didn't you know!

Is it worth the risk of getting caught though? I imagine you would get into a lot of potential trouble with HMRC.

I have brought over 500 games from Europe in the last twenty years with other friends to help get games to the UK and I think the dream is over for me. It's not worth it anymore.

Just drive over unbox the fecker throw that crap away , stick a “ sold for €50 broken pinball “ sticker on it :)
Can’t see anyone arguing that , say you picked it up on some made up website .

Just drive over unbox the fecker throw that crap away , stick a “ sold for €50 broken pinball “ sticker on it :)
Can’t see anyone arguing that , say you picked it up on some made up website .
They will ask for proof. In the event of lack of receipt I believe they can seize and estimate value if you're not providing any proof.

Sent from my Atari 2600

which is fine until the courier company drops it and your hosed. (Go look at the GNR new pin thread).

I have restored 3 houses in the south of France involving a lot of van trips. I would say that 95% of the time (coming back) you are required to open up for inspection. I'm guessing most of the time they were looking for cigarettes, booze and stow aways but I'm sure a shiny pinball machine wouldn't go unnoticed!

So what’s the situation with buying a machine from Northern Ireland? I can’t get my head around what’s happening over there.
can someone in Belfast import a machine from Eire with no problem?

So what’s the situation with buying a machine from Northern Ireland? I can’t get my head around what’s happening over there.
can someone in Belfast import a machine from Eire with no problem?
Think someone in Northern Ireland can buy anything from the UK or EU and not pay any fees (other than VAT), but they can't then re-export it where they haven't bought it from without the buyer being liable for customs charges.

Take everything you read on the beeb with a pinch of salt its the far left equivalent of the Daily Mail.
Out of interest, is there a newspaper or website you’d consider to be neutral, or more central in your Overton window?

Back
Top Bottom