What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ - Comments on Sales/trades/wanted threads

Comments on sales/Trades/Wanted threads.... Yes or no.... (Simple choice!)

• Yes

Votes: 129 86.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 14.0%

• Total voters
Hey Paul, firstly I hope you are feeling better!

I was wondering if any further thoughts had given to reverting back to the old For Sale section? Or at the very least holding a Community Vote on it?

My view is that the Forum is greatly suffering because of the Classified Ads and the lack of posts / interaction with these. At the minute there are only 2 machines for sale. And in contrast there are a load of machines on eBay.

I miss the For Sale section more than anything on the Forum and I don’t know what everyone else thinks, but I also feel like the Forum is a lot quieter.

Anyway, that is my 10 cents on the matter, I would be interested to hear from others too.

Last edited:
Just to add, if you need more people to police the For Sale Ads, happy to throw my hat into the ring.

I totally agree.

I really appreciate all the work that you do for this forum @Paul, and I am hugely grateful that you take the effort to do it because it is a great place.

But I also think that the change to the classifieds section is a change that hasn't been a change for the better - rather it has taken away one of the most interesting sections of the forum and replaced it with something which is sterile and inconvenient to use.

A huge part of this hobby is the collecting, buying, selling, horsetrading and general chitchat surrounding the excitement of people buying a new machine, or passing one on, seeing new stuff come up for sale, and so on. Now I feel that whole part of the forum has been surgically removed and put into Classifieds as a completely separate backwater.

I guess the functionality is still there - you can still buy and sell games in the classified section just as you can on eBay. But what has been lost in the change is much of the fun and excitement and cameraderie or the old section - something you can't find on eBay or anywhere else. Which is a real shame.

The fact that it hides the price of sold items is a big let down for me. I don't understand the wish for such secrecy?

And no, the "what's this table worth" thread is absolutely *not* an adequate substitute.

Last edited:
Can i ask what was the reasoning behind changing it? Did it achieve its goal? are there unintended consequences of the change? did the forum admin feel it works well? Or what is working well and what isn’t? what if any would make the admins restore the old system?

The fact that it hides the price of sold items is a big no-no for me. I don't understand the wish for such secrecy?

Fixed in the next update.

My view is that the Forum is greatly suffering because of the Classified Ads and the lack of posts / interaction with these. At the minute there are only 2 machines for sale. And in contrast there are a load of machines on eBay.

As i said to someone earlier, "there's only 2 machines for sale".... Lets conveniently forget the 35 that have successfully sold in the last 2 months. And as we all know, machines on ebay are, in a lot of cases,overpriced

Ok - So who wants to moderate the Old forum then? Im not considering a change back to the old forum unless it has it's own moderator.

Requirements : Moderator must log on most days Close threads, Change from "for sale" to "sold" where the seller hasnt, check content meets what is required (In the Classified T&C's..... https://www.pinballinfo.com/community/help/marketplace/)
Pay : £0
Hassle : Lots

Why does it need to be moderated, just let it sort itself out. Let the forum members help moderate by pointing out to anyone who posts something that is incomplete / against T&C's etc etc?

I for one like the new classified section... I kid. It's crap. Happy to help out if no-one else comes forward but as above, it largely seemed to moderate itself. It was brilliant in its simplicity and it's natural tendency toward discussion. Which is always good on a discussion board.

Fixed in the next update.

As i said to someone earlier, "there's only 2 machines for sale".... Lets conveniently forget the 35 that have successfully sold in the last 2 months. And as we all know, machines on ebay are, in a lot of cases,overpriced

Ok - So who wants to moderate the Old forum then? Im not considering a change back to the old forum unless it has it's own moderator.

Requirements : Moderator must log on most days Close threads, Change from "for sale" to "sold" where the seller hasnt, check content meets what is required (In the Classified T&C's..... https://www.pinballinfo.com/community/help/marketplace/)
Pay : £0
Hassle : Lots
Can do 👍

Yeah, I agree, cannot it not police itself and report anything that doesn’t look legit or dodgy?

How many Moderators would you need for the old For Sale section? I would be happy to help, but would like that to be part of a group.

Why does it need to be moderated, just let it sort itself out. Let the forum members help moderate by pointing out to anyone who posts something that is incomplete / against T&C's etc etc?

Because it doesnt sort itself - thats the issue!!
And whilst everyone is awesome at reporting stuff, it then takes somewhere this end to do the work....

Why not have both the old & new system running and see which one gets used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve not been around long, but have access all day, and I’ve moderated and admin’d on lots of forums, I’m interested in helping if needed,

Just checked January 2020. I got to 35 machines for sale in the space of the first two weeks, most sold. Loads of fruitful discussion. Hustle and bustle. Hardly any bullsh1t. 35 in 2 months doesn't really mean anything at all.

Just checked January 2020. I got to 35 machines for sale in the space of the first two weeks, most sold. Loads of fruitful discussion. Hustle and bustle. Hardly any bullsh1t. 35 in 2 months doesn't really mean anything at all.
And last January we werent on lockdown.....

And last January we werent on lockdown.....

I appreciate that and of course there are extenuating circumstances. However. I too would be fascinated to know the click through statistics for the new classified section for the last month and the old forum section for the same time period of last year. I'd also like to know how much discussion and what number of posts accompanied each ad on average. Even if we completely disregard what is likely a landslide for the old system there are so many other factors that have been brought up by multiple well liked members, with everyone trying to be constructive and sensitive to the efforts it must take to run the forum.

I have laid out multiple things that have been ignored. I made a video trying to help. Ignored. I offered to moderate or part moderate. Ignored. Not much more I can do dude. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom