What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Imperial socket set

Bobbdobalina

Site Supporter
Hi all, I’m struggling to fine a reasonably price imperial socket set.
Can anyone recommend one?
Any help much appreciated.

Didn’t think about Halfords. I use a lot of bahco at work and like their tools but could only find one for £80!

Didn’t think about Halfords. I use a lot of bahco at work and like their tools but could only find one for £80!
Draper aren't megabucks but usually slightly better than Halfords. That said I do have a small Halfords Advanced type range 1/4 socket set which is OK and probably better than Draper probably on a par with Britool.
My Halfords set is something like this https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand...3/8in-a/f-socket-set-modular-tray-332094.html

I do like Teng tools. It's rare I need the bigger stuff, Neil's above link, those look quite good. Being impact they'll have a decent heat treatment.

If you already have the ratchets and bars just pick up the sockets. Machine mart are handy, halfordsok but pricey and often poor quality own brand stuff. Unless you’re using them professionally ie constantly and in all weathers I wouldn’t bother with a premium brand. I’ve a Drapers expert range of sockets under 3/8(10mm) size that has lasted 10+ years being used on cars.

I have used a draper expert 1/4 inch drive set like this for about 25 years. This is a later model than mine and it is incredibly versatile. Probably my most used tool set ...

I still have my trusty coloured handle set I bought years ago , not sure brand but Andy Pinball Mania used to sell I believe . And maybe Phil 🤔
Grey and Green , the 5/16 and 11/32 see the most action. Long yellow is extending ratchet driver I usually have loaded with 1/4 socket ….. the extension is super useful at times .
They are a good squad and have never let me down .

FADF0715-BB39-4996-97AC-555FD3D4E319.jpeg

The Halfords 1/4 set looks better for useabilty/range. I’ve never seen the point of 3/8 drive, too bulky for small stuff and not meaty enough for big.
I agree totally. I want something smaller so 1/4” will suit better.

This looks a nice little set but not cheap https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/socket-sets/1875266

I have the handle sets including the expensive ones where the magnets fall out😖
You can’t beat the feeing of a ratchet doing its thing😁

Think I will ask my bro-in-law if he has a little set he wants to get rid of, he has a garage and has spent tens of thousands on tools. Try and get a pic next time I’m in there as I think he has a problem with collecting tools and boxes😂

If you already have the ratchets and bars just pick up the sockets. Machine mart are handy, halfordsok but pricey and often poor quality own brand stuff. Unless you’re using them professionally ie constantly and in all weathers I wouldn’t bother with a premium brand. I’ve a Drapers expert range of sockets under 3/8(10mm) size that has lasted 10+ years being used on cars.
I might just get a bespoke set of the ones I’m going to use rather than a full set.
Simply won’t use the larger imperial sizes so a waste of money.

I still have my trusty coloured handle set I bought years ago , not sure brand but Andy Pinball Mania used to sell I believe . And maybe Phil 🤔
Grey and Green , the 5/16 and 11/32 see the most action. Long yellow is extending ratchet driver I usually have loaded with 1/4 socket ….. the extension is super useful at times .
They are a good squad and have never let me down .

View attachment 166429
Was looking at similar at PH but too pricey, look quality but £17 a driver soon adds up.

I've got a cheap set I got with a ratchet screwdriver but they're not magnetic which makes getting some under pf screws in a nightmare.

Are any of the above magnetised?

I've got a cheap set I got with a ratchet screwdriver but they're not magnetic which makes getting some under pf screws in a nightmare.

Are any of the above magnetised?
You can get magnetised extension bars or adapters to use with your set.

This jogged my memory as I was looking for a set before and couldn’t make my mind up, ended up getting Facom set not the pro version but good enough and lifetime guarantee.
Metric and imperial with decent length extension bars, some of the other sets I thought the extension bars were a bit short. Ratchet feels ok.
Think I read somewhere that Facom Expert is the new Britool range.

Nice little set for £63.

Attachments

• 3EC7D442-09E2-4FF8-B308-202E5575B7DC.jpeg
    3EC7D442-09E2-4FF8-B308-202E5575B7DC.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 4
Why a socket set ?
I’ve worked on pinball machines for over 25 years and never found need to use a socket set.
Buy a good quality nut driver set , much easier to use .
Only time I have ever needed a socket rather than a nut driver is for removing a long post bolt from a playfield. The long post bolts are used for mounting wireforms and my nut drivers are not deep enough for that. So if using sockets you really need the long ones.

I've only ever used a socket set for leg bolts and some of the older backboxes - nut drivers all the way. I had the exact same set that @Sgt GrizZ mentioned above, but the yellow and grey have become worn over the last dozen years so I upgraded just those 2 specific sizes.

You don't need a full set as I only ever seem to use 3 for everything pinball related. It's then worth paying the higher price for the good quality drivers from Pinball Heaven as being magnetic, and with a long shaft cover all eventualities.

Back
Top Bottom