What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I think I'm done buying used

some people put home games on pay to play to use as savings device
Yes I guess that could have been it. Also, the other way round, some pins on site are free to play, pay to enter instead, so the lifetime paid credits doesn't tell you a lot.

Only 1 extra ball in over 500 games? !
I have no idea how you get extra balls on Godzilla :oops: It’s possible there’s no default and we haven’t set it up yet to offer them.

We get loads of extra balls on Lord of the Rings because we’ve got the replays and specials set to award balls instead of extra credits. Obviously, because it’s on Free Play.

I have no idea how you get extra balls on Godzilla :oops: It’s possible there’s no default and we haven’t set it up yet to offer them.

Extra Balls:​

• Destroy 3 Saucers
  • Destroy 10 Jet Fighters in cumulative Jet Fighter Attack modes
  • After collecting 5 City Combos (by default)
  • After 12 shots in Monster Rampage (by default)
  • After leaving your 2nd City
You shouldn't have to change anything from factory to get extra balls. You'd actually have to go in to settings to turn them off.
One interesting thing (IMHO) is that there isn't an extra ball 'shot' or light extra ball award, you simply get the extra ball awarded to you.

Most common extra ball I get is from 10 Jet Fighters (targeted), then saucers (incidental), then 2nd City (targeted). I haven't paid much attention to City Combos yet, but should probably focus on that next. I hate the Rampage mode as it locks you out of 'real' progress in everything else.

and specials set to award balls instead of extra credits. Obviously, because it’s on Free Play.
I wouldn't say obvious at all.
The machines I've had Special is either left as a credit (worthless) , or more usually points (as I want some reward for achieving it). If there's a game I particularly struggle with I may set special to extra ball, but can only think of IMdn when I've done that.
I also never set replays to extra ball (I usually turn replays off altogether), my thinking being that you need a decent game to get a replay, therefore you don't need an extra ball if you're having a good game plus replay values usually change dependant on previous game scores so it's not consistent anyway.

But, obviously, it's your machine and you can set it up however you prefer it.

They go to the bank, draw out £100 in pounds coins, use it in their Pin then when it's full they take it to the bank.

I can't think where I use coins anymore apart from unlocking a shopping trolley.
Col makes trolley coins just saying 🤣

I no longer carry coins either. Got caught out trying to get a trolley and it was pointed out that I could use my front door 🔑, back to front. I even noticed a few other people using the same solution.
I never knew that either . Thanks ! Begs the question though what is the point of the system in the first place . Like 'I really want to steal this trolley but I won't as it costs a quid'!
I remember when this first came in and where I lived in south London it seemed like everyone thought they'd now 'bought ' their own trolley for a quid so they started taking them home and leaving them in their front yard.

I never knew that either . Thanks ! Begs the question though what is the point of the system in the first place . Like 'I really want to steal this trolley but I won't as it costs a quid'!
I remember when this first came in and where I lived in south London it seemed like everyone thought they'd now 'bought ' their own trolley for a quid so they started taking them home and leaving them in their front yard.
I think the reason is it makes people take them back to a designated area rather than leaving them lying around the car park.

There's a special place in hell for people who lock a large trolley backwards to a small trolley or vice versa meaning no more trolleys can be stacked 😤

I think the reason is it makes people take them back to a designated area rather than leaving them lying around the car park.

There's a special place in hell for people who lock a large trolley backwards to a small trolley or vice versa meaning no more trolleys can be stacked 😤
Technically they can still be stacked if there are 3 rows of different trolleys. Put yours in the wrong row, but leaving the row of big trolleys free, use that £1 to move the big trolley to the right spot, then get your original trolley back to put in place. Still, you are probably right that there is still a special place in hell! :D

When I was younger I managed to reverse my is200 into an Asda shopping cart bay, was about 2inch clearance each side :D

The good old days :D

You know the crime in that story is admitting you had a Lexus!

I drove a 12 year old Lexus across America in 2019. It did 5100 miles in 11 days across old abandoned highways and dirt tracks along Route 66 including temperatures of 120F in the mountains.

The thing didn’t miss a beat the whole way. The exhaust snapped half way when we bottomed out in Monument Valley but it kept on going, albeit slightly more noisily!

My last 4 Toyota’s (same engine as some Lexus models) did 1,000,000 miles, had catastrophic failure on one, the AC compressor clutch became noisy at only 220k miles. Regardless was regularly mocked by a couple of my BMW driving mates as Toyotas are so beige (they are). But they remained happy to replace engines after catastrophic failures, there’s weren’t quite so minor, each one was either cam drive failure of big end/main failure post cam drive failures.

They now say themselves ‘ there a crap car with a perceived quality badge’ only perceived quality mind!

One of the BMW boys clarified what the acronym stood for… Big Massive W@nker, how apt! 😂

Wow...
I like how many mention a few £K here and there as if its now't.....
I'd love to buy an old machine in semi working order to fix up but finding that machine is like Alice down the rabbit hole for me...
Budget and family first they say, but I still want a pin!!!
Been waitng years to do this, guessing a few more to wait.....

Wow...
I like how many mention a few £K here and there as if its now't.....
I'd love to buy an old machine in semi working order to fix up but finding that machine is like Alice down the rabbit hole for me...
Budget and family first they say, but I still want a pin!!!
Been waitng years to do this, guessing a few more to wait.....
It’s Willy waving, you see it in all hobbies
For some, the ego must be fed

Pinball is a strange hobby. It’s got very high initial barriers to entry. You’ve got to have x amount spare to buy a game. So it’s increasingly looking like an expensive thing to do. Being honest I struggled to justify £500 for my first game let alone contemplating 5 grand plus nowadays.

However, get past that and it’s actually a surprisingly cheap hobby. You can own a game for years, trade them etc and really you are then just looking at £100 for transport costs.
What to get out of the hobby? Sell up and unless you were totally bent over when you bought you’ll probably recoup your initial cash (or at the moment, more). There are very few other hobbies that you don’t generally suffer depreciation on.

Pinball meets have to be the cheapest day out ever. £2.50 to get in and you’ll probably get food/drink.

I spend far more on gigs etc a month than I do on pinball. My son is currently massively into RPGs, the cost of the books etc mounts up really quickly.

The real Willy waving amounts are probably connected more to the cost of finding space to keep the bloody things in.

Pinball is a strange hobby. It’s got very high initial barriers to entry. You’ve got to have x amount spare to buy a game. So it’s increasingly looking like an expensive thing to do. Being honest I struggled to justify £500 for my first game let alone contemplating 5 grand plus nowadays.

However, get past that and it’s actually a surprisingly cheap hobby. You can own a game for years, trade them etc and really you are then just looking at £100 for transport costs.
What to get out of the hobby? Sell up and unless you were totally bent over when you bought you’ll probably recoup your initial cash (or at the moment, more). There are very few other hobbies that you don’t generally suffer depreciation on.

Pinball meets have to be the cheapest day out ever. £2.50 to get in and you’ll probably get food/drink.

I spend far more on gigs etc a month than I do on pinball. My son is currently massively into RPGs, the cost of the books etc mounts up really quickly.

The real Willy waving amounts are probably connected more to the cost of finding space to keep the bloody things in.
Pin shack Willy waving lol

Back
Top Bottom