What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How printing screens are made

RudeDogg1

Site Supporter
Some of you may remember us talking about screens for the back box text last year and I said I make them as part of my job. Well I thought some of you may find the process of actually developing the screen interesting.

This is how they come in even tho they look clean you have to degrease them. It has to be thoroughly rinsed else the smallest residue left can ******** up the next stage. Frames can be reused indefinitely or until the silk perished. The olde emulsion is washed off using something called dissolve paste. Which has some chem in that flares my dermatitis up infact every chem I use for screens does lol so must be a few nasties in it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400617441.488947.jpg

The next stage is to coat it with uv sensitive emulsion. Which you use a special trough to apply. Takes about 12 hours to dry before you can use it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400617928.872348.jpg

When I make them for work I'm not this OCD but with my backbox one I bought a frame the same width as a bw backbox but a little shorter. I then positioned the artwork (kindly borrowed from Daz) in exactly the right position as the original printing so that it I position the frame at the bottom corner it will print dead on in the right place. Anyway you tape the artwork back to front on the smith side (not the recessed side).
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400618389.988443.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400618426.555171.jpg

Then into the vacuum table to hold it securely
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400618484.838510.jpg

Then you flip the table so it faces a big uv light which has a special timer which I've tweaked over the years so the screens come out just right every time. Basically how it works is wherever there is artwork that blocks the uv from activating the emulsion.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400618652.455084.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400618692.921771.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400618722.523884.jpg

Then you take the frame out, remove the artwork and wash with warm water and all that's not been activated washes off leaving clear silk.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400618851.355410.jpg

And dried ready to use. When we use them for marking cut work I put hinges on them and mount them on boards which are marked so you line up the piece on the board, close the board and dust with chalk then they have all their positions and stich marks.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400619013.421912.jpg

I'm bloody sick of frames lately had to do 3 sets for cbn suits 15 frames each set and bloody huge ones got another 4 sets of them to do grr. Anyway I hope it enlightened a few of you

I remember the discussion. Were you making just the one, or taking orders - if so i'll put my hand up now... :)

Really interesting tho Rudi - Cheers :)

Was just the one tho I could prob make another if I was supplied the frame and u spoke nicely to Daz for the artwork

Rude, are you interested on some Ali frames all meshed up and great condition, a single self stretching frame and some emulsion on a roll ? I have them from my screen printing days ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aww rats - i thought you still had it there.... ;)

Frame - Thats just a few bits of wood together... not like it's dovetails etc :D

Hahaha it's a frame with rollers all round that you tighten / stretch manually after you glue the screen to it, perfect for single colours and fast swap outs. And that's made of Ali too not wood... That warps lol

The wood ones do have proper joints they have to due to the tension of the silk when they put it on wood ones tend to warp we generally buy aluminium ones very little price difference

So "All" i have to do is prise it out of @replicas hands..... then get it to you... and then frame it, and get it back to Daz.... Hmm... Thats a lot of work (Even if i am currently around 20 miles down the road from him!!) ;)

Rude, are you interested on some Ali frames all meshed up and great condition, a single self stretching frame and some emulsion on a roll ? I have them from my screen printing days ....

Not particularly it's just part of my job not something I do out of choice unless I need one my self. Thanks for the offer tho

I miss read it to thought it was 1m 6" prob on the small side it's big ones wer struggling for at the mo today they just ordered a whack. Got hundreds in Romania and Lithuania we need back

I would be interested in a smaller one for the Patten numbers, need to do a small screen for those.
Let me know tomorrow what sizes you have.

Back
Top Bottom