What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many plays do you give a machine at home before deciding you don’t like it?

For anyone that’s interested I think I figured out what I wasn’t liking.

I originally ordered Deadpool when JP was my only machine. I’d played it a bit at Tilt and enjoyed it, watched some gameplay and read some reviews. My thinking was I’ll have JP as my hard, challenging game and DP as my simpler, easier game.

I played some more DP yesterday and then played my other games and realised, ignoring completion or score, DP was the most difficult of all my games. It was the hardest to control the ball and needed more nudging than any of my other games.

I’d had this expectation of it being an easier game for me and it wasn’t meeting that at all, I already have tough games that I enjoy but that also frustrate me, I wanted something a bit more chill. I noticed the flippers were more droopy than JP and definitely more so than turtles and Imdn. They’re all lined up with the center of the bat on the dots but I wondered if I could enjoy DP more if i adjusted them higher slightly. Searching through the pinside thread I know they are meant to be a bit droopy by design on DP so I adjusted them up slightly but kept them lower than the lane guides still.

For me it’s a massive improvement! The center spinner is no longer the most difficult shot, the snikt shot is makable, the left ramp can be backhanded, I can catch from the orbits and scoop and I have more control in multiballs. The lower d and l targets are still makable from a direct hit too. The snikt shot being makable alone makes it a lot more fun, it gives more decisions about whether to try for that or just continue progress without.

Before someone says ‘but you’re not playing it as intended!’ I don’t care! I’ve turned a game I own from one I didn’t like into something actually enjoyable. I also put JP back to 5 balls because it’s more fun for me 😝

If I was trying to improve for competition then I’m sure the right thing to do would have been to leave it as it was and try to get better but I just want to have fun.

For anyone that’s interested I think I figured out what I wasn’t liking.

I originally ordered Deadpool when JP was my only machine. I’d played it a bit at Tilt and enjoyed it, watched some gameplay and read some reviews. My thinking was I’ll have JP as my hard, challenging game and DP as my simpler, easier game.

I played some more DP yesterday and then played my other games and realised, ignoring completion or score, DP was the most difficult of all my games. It was the hardest to control the ball and needed more nudging than any of my other games.

I’d had this expectation of it being an easier game for me and it wasn’t meeting that at all, I already have tough games that I enjoy but that also frustrate me, I wanted something a bit more chill. I noticed the flippers were more droopy than JP and definitely more so than turtles and Imdn. They’re all lined up with the center of the bat on the dots but I wondered if I could enjoy DP more if i adjusted them higher slightly. Searching through the pinside thread I know they are meant to be a bit droopy by design on DP so I adjusted them up slightly but kept them lower than the lane guides still.

For me it’s a massive improvement! The center spinner is no longer the most difficult shot, the snikt shot is makable, the left ramp can be backhanded, I can catch from the orbits and scoop and I have more control in multiballs. The lower d and l targets are still makable from a direct hit too. The snikt shot being makable alone makes it a lot more fun, it gives more decisions about whether to try for that or just continue progress without.

Before someone says ‘but you’re not playing it as intended!’ I don’t care! I’ve turned a game I own from one I didn’t like into something actually enjoyable. I also put JP back to 5 balls because it’s more fun for me 😝

If I was trying to improve for competition then I’m sure the right thing to do would have been to leave it as it was and try to get better but I just want to have fun.

You paid a fortune for that game so you set it up exactly how you want.

As for the difficulty I find it quite the opposite which is one of the many reasons it's my favourite game.

Glad you're enjoying it more and if you're finding the center shot easier then the sninnkkt shot must be too which should really help to open up the scoring.

Update #2 I changed the flippers back to factory alignment 😂

I played some more DP and at first I liked the flippers higher but the more I played the more I went back to not being sure about the game and realised it wasn’t about the flippers at all, the change just made it something new for a while.

I also played some more Godzilla which has droopy flippers too and it was a lot of fun, even though for my play style it makes control more difficult, it’s part of the fun, making me play more flowy is something different and interesting, it’s just more enjoyable for me on GZ.

I dunno, maybe DP just isn’t for me and I can’t explain why. I’m going to play a bit more later today and then leave it for a while, play my other games and see if I get an urge to play DP again at some point, maybe it can still grow on me.

I dunno, maybe DP just isn’t for me and I can’t explain why. I’m going to play a bit more later today and then leave it for a while, play my other games and see if I get an urge to play DP again at some point, maybe it can still grow on me.
I feel the same about one of my pins TBH. My husband likes it, but I don’t really enjoy it somehow and, although I play it frequently, I‘ve no idea whether I’d still play it if I had more pins.

I just can’t explain *why* I’m unsure about it. The best I can come with is ‘I don‘t find the individual shots exciting enough’.

Reactions: Jib
I had TZ 20 yr and got LITZ twice! However if I was near I would pop the extra ball just to get there as it’s a fun wizard mode.
It was a keeper but I’ve now came to the conclusion nothing is a keeper especially when crazy money is getting offered.
I can usually tell 1st ball if I like a game as a good example take JP, I hated the game immediately but everyone here said I wasn’t giving it time.
6 weeks later it wasn’t getting ball time so I sold it for 5k at the start of lockdown.
The only reason I wished I’d kept is the fact I’ve seen a few including mine go for 7k! Crazy times.
You sold JP for 6k I wish it had been 5k! 😂😂

Led Zeppelin. Didnt finish 2nd ball.
ToM. Wanted one first ball.
CV. Two balls.
CC. Had one for 2 days. Hated it. Now love the remake. Tastes change.

It doesnt take me long!

Also dislike games I have to repair alot!
You didn’t finish 2nd ball on Led Zep?
I didn’t like the LZ overall package but the gameplay was pretty good TBH…

Back
Top Bottom