What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Homepin NEW licenced theme & new staff

Great review. Might as well add "it comes with 4 legs and glass on top"!
I did not get that much time on it, Pinfest was LOUD, hard to hear anything
Mike does not like me, I wanted to play this (which I never even got to play TAG, despite paying in advance), at least once

I did not get that much time on it, Pinfest was LOUD, hard to hear anything
Mike does not like me, I wanted to play this (which I never even got to play TAG, despite paying in advance), at least once
What a shame, to launch a game with such a cool theme as Spinal Tap and the only video we've seen shows 2 clean shots not make it up the ramp. The ball is soooo floaty it's not steep enough and even with it flat the ramp shot can't be made. I'd be really embarrassed if I was Mike but maybe that's karma. Real wasted opportunity, Stern messed up their launch but its generated so much interest its worked for them, some might even conclude it was planned that way, but this sh1t show is unforgivable!

Weird thing is the ramps don’t look steep? Must of been some flipper issues maybe over heating due to constant play?

Being completely honest - HomePin have built a business out of copying existing PCB boards. Saying that the AFM strobe board is a pile of junk (Homepin tell me I have 'dirty data' on the output from the WPC power board, funny how on an oscilloscope it is perfect.... anyway different story).....
The mechs in his games are copies. Data east pop bumpers. I can not remember if the flippers looked like Bally/Williams but that stuff works fine so you do no re-invent the wheel. He has hopefully done that right.

But this could be the only Spinal Tap around, it may be held together underneath with gaffa tape.

I so wanted them to prove me wrong after thunderbirds. F knows why there is a DMD and screen!

I also wonder if updates will happen. Unlike Thunderbirds.

Think the UK has dodged a bullet.

I actually quite like the DMD plus screen. I dislike modern games for the LCD as info is hard to follow and scores are often small.
But to have a classic dmd and a LCD displaying movie scenes is clever, probably overkill to have the LCD as it must increase the cost but I doubt people would like it if it just had a DMD which must look like old tech.

The thing with Pinfest was there was a room set aside for the manufactures, Haggis on one side, then Homepin, and then 6 Stern machines
Haggis's Fathom really only appeals to the true fan, no ramps. And the color scheme of Fathom does not really stand out
There were crowds of people around the Stern games, you had to wait to play them
People were looking at the Spinal Taps, maybe have a game, and then move on. Really, the days of photoshopping playfield art is over

My view is the game looks pretty fun and it would do well on location here, as theme is king. Who cares if the layout, or depth of the game isnt the most imaginary thing ever. I'd put a couple of quid in it to play it as would anyone who knows the theme to.

I hope some do find their way here :) As somebody once told me (personally), 'making pinball is hard'!!

My view is the game looks pretty fun and it would do well on location here, as theme is king. Who cares if the layout, or depth of the game isnt the most imaginary thing ever. I'd put a couple of quid in it to play it as would anyone who knows the theme to.

I hope some do find their way here :) As somebody once told me (personally), 'making pinball is hard'!!
Maybe you should import a few Jim?

not the best reviews locally and then the price is rumoured at $14k in Aus and 9.5k USD in the States, a Stern Premium is still cheaper - think it will be a rare game

not the best reviews locally and then the price is rumoured at $14k in Aus and 9.5k USD in the States, a Stern Premium is still cheaper - think it will be a rare game
? So the price for a TAG was $7000 AU$ (?) and this new game is double the price?

? So the price for a TAG was $7000 AU$ (?) and this new game is double the price?
tag was several years ago, inflation plus higher bom -lcd screen and bigger dev costs (2 experienced pinball designers on board).

No small manufacturer will be able to beat sterns production costs. - they have market size and have honed it over the years.

i wouldn’t risk £10k on this mind you.

Def a market
Look at all the peeps falling over themselves to buy Raza left overs. Effectively just a bunch of parts.
Not putting Spinal Tap in same bracket but there is always someone wanting to buy a pin if it’s considered rare - ish - good or bad.

Def a market
Look at all the peeps falling over themselves to buy Raza left overs. Effectively just a bunch of parts.
Not putting Spinal Tap in same bracket but there is always someone wanting to buy a pin if it’s considered rare - ish - good or bad.
Yes but do you just want to sell a handful or hundreds?

tag was several years ago, inflation plus higher bom -lcd screen and bigger dev costs (2 experienced pinball designers on board).

No small manufacturer will be able to beat sterns production costs. - they have market size and have honed it over the years.

i wouldn’t risk £10k on this mind you.
The 2 experienced designers must have been asleep on the job...

apparently the design is a repurposed chinese zombies from a while back with a few minor changes
Thanks for your input Jady but you are completely incorrect as you are with most assumptions you make about Homepin, me and my products.
Notice how I NEVER butt into your threads about the parts you make and hang s-h-i-t on them! You might try that sometime, it might keep you out of trouble!

The layout is nothing like China Zombies despite what some have attempted to say. There are plenty of negative nellies who seem to get their exercise by jumping to conclusions! Most have never even seen the machine but suddenly they are 'experts'.

A few clarifications for the keyboard warriors out there. "Porsche Taycan" was a contract job we did for the Porsche Motor Company. They supplied the brief and outline of the design. If it 'looks' like Firepower that's possibly because the Porsche agency (that handled this order) most likely looked online and decided that Firepower was the design for them. That wasn't my decision, they were the customer and we built what they wanted. They are not for sale to the public.

The two sample Spinal Tap Pinball machines that were assembled and shipped in a hurry so they would arrive in Newcastle in time for the show had many small things we knew still needed attention. I was making many of these changes the Friday night before the event after a two day trip to get there from Taiwan. I didn't get all the changes done in time but it is what it is.

Thanks to the numerous people that played our two sample machines at Pinfest and provided us with CONSTRUCTIVE feedback. It has enabled us to tweak dozens of things and improve the machine overall.

We are in the process of having a professional video made but things like this are quite difficult to organise here in Taiwan. Some amateur videos posted on YouTube etc are deliberately modified to make our machine "look bad" - it's just sad how sick some people are.

Lastly, I have said this so many times, Homepin is not in the business of mass building of machines. We are a small, boutique family business. If we ship 20 machines a month that would suit us just fine. All production of TAP is sold past March next year so we are very pleased with things how they are.

To ‘PickHolder’ who said:
Saying that the AFM strobe board is a pile of junk (Homepin tell me I have 'dirty data' on the output from the WPC power board, funny how on an oscilloscope it is perfect.... anyway different story)..... “

That is news to me, I have never said anything of the sort. Homepin is the ONLY company making this replacement board and we just have never had any complaints about them, not even from you. I have indeed said that there are dirty signals on the feed to the Data East magnet driver board, that is well known. Perhaps you are confused?

We offer a lifetime warranty on all boards we make so if you do indeed have a problem with an AFM strobe board please contact me and we will resolve it but please stop spreading random BS that is clearly untrue!

I don’t post much anywhere these days because there is just too much negativity around and plain lies posted as the AFM story above. Seems like many want to see companies giving things a go, fail? Beats me what sort of mindset you need to follow that path? No matter what I post there are those that will pick it to pieces for reasons only known to themselves? Yes Jady, you included!

Back
Top Bottom