What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hobbit small LCD not working

IOXLEY

Site Supporter
Hi guys
I have a hobbit Smaug and the small lcd was flashing on and off intermittently but now it’s gone off pure black the whole time.
Anyone come across this or have any theories/advice ?
Thanks
Ian

Attachments

• 66A6C144-61A9-4DAD-B14E-478C07A11CD6.jpeg
    66A6C144-61A9-4DAD-B14E-478C07A11CD6.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 9DC4E3AC-8C4F-4CFC-A568-0D253B69AC3F.jpeg
    9DC4E3AC-8C4F-4CFC-A568-0D253B69AC3F.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 30
I assume you have checked both connectors (in and out)?

I think it’s HDMI if memory serves.

JJP run off the internal video card, and they also have an external card in a PCI slot. If I was you take off the cover to expose the PC and reseat the card.
Check all your connections.

POWER OFF FIRST!

If it doesnt come back on - then use a VGA / DVI or HDMI cable into a computer monitor to check the signal.

Also the screen is fed with 12v power. Be worth checking that.

Ok excellent guys
Thank you i will
It’s VGA and undid and re did the cable but made no difference. Will now check the rest of the things

You will need a multi-meter and check you have 12v coming out.

Do you have a PC Monitor with a VGA in?

Does the screen power up? If it’s not the cable or PC. JJP use a cheap rubbish screen that has a AV selection option - like on your TV - VGA, HDMI 1, HDMI 2 etc etc. sadly though the bit of hardware that you need to do the selection doesn’t come with the pin - so if you figure out it’s that ping me and I can loan you the device that lets you do the selection.

Keep us posted. I have a VGA Monitor I can run over, you are only 5 minutes from me.

Pinside says theres a replaceable board behind the screen that sometimes fails.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200106-190411_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200106-190411_Chrome.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 24
Hi guys
Well cable checked this morning and can confirm it’s not the cable.
So either power issue or screen/board.
What should I do next?

Hi guys
So I plugged in a new vga and the screen worked.
so i guess now it’s either the screen itself or no power.
Chris b can you help ?
Thanks
Ian

I would test the power to the book LCD first Ian to eliminate it, I have found on my Hobbit (with use) connectors can work loose, I had issues with the door buttons and start lamp all related to a simple push connector. Your intermittent description matches my faults, working one minute then completely dead.

It looks like you could maybe get a reading at the connector itself to the screen, just be careful with meter probes or you’ll accidentally short things out and likely pop fuses.

As mentioned above be careful with the lid off, perhaps check related connections first using the manuals (J14 for example is the external connector see pic) with power off just to ensure all are seated properly.

Attachments

• B920870C-70ED-4008-9C7E-DD78A65C6F82.jpeg
    B920870C-70ED-4008-9C7E-DD78A65C6F82.jpeg
    39.5 KB · Views: 20
Ok I’ve ordered a multi meter from amazon and will be coming tomorrow. Was £20, I take it anyone will work. Doesn’t need special adapters to do this does it?

Ok I’ve ordered a multi meter from amazon and will be coming tomorrow. Was £20, I take it anyone will work. Doesn’t need special adapters to do this does it?

Yeah, that should do it.

I am on in Wickford if you need anything.

Let us know how you get on.

Hi guys so I can confirm it’s the screen that’s gone.
Does anyone have one I can buy?
Thanks
Ian
If they are dirt cheap and you intend to keep the game I would recommend buying more than one.

Back
Top Bottom