What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guns N Roses Help

Fintan Stack

Registered
10 Years
Hi Gang

I need help! But aside from that I also need some assistance with my GnR please.

I've had a few issues with this and managed to solve a couple but the major outstanding issue is that I have no CPU controlled lamps. And I am stumped. All GI is working but no controlled lamps at all. The rest of the machine seems to be functioning fine. You can play through a game and everything seems to function correctly except the lights. (Well...... you could but now the start button seems to have stopped working too! :eek: ) Fuse F2 keeps blowing.

Anyway.... Any ideas chaps? Remember I'm not the best at this sort of thing so any help may have to be idiot proof! But I would really appreciate some advice. I have the required tools but may not have the required knowledge to use them correctly!!

Some info:

The machine had been transported prior to the issue surfacing.
The 2 bridge rectifiers next to fuse F2 both test fine.
I was thinking it was a short somewhere but I have eyeballed the machine for hours now and I cannot see anything obvious. Is there a better way to spot a potential short?

Cheers guys. Huge amounts of Pinball Kudos points available to anyone who can help me get this thing working.

Seconded!! Please help as it was working perfectly when it left here!

It is fitted with a RottenDog MPU, however all other boards are original.

Just a thought Mr FS - have you checked connectors for the GI ???

Seconded!! Please help as it was working perfectly when it left here!

It is fitted with a RottenDog MPU, however all other boards are original.

Just a thought Mr FS - have you checked connectors for the GI ???

Hi Mr Paul.

Yes mate, I have checked all connectors and also reseated them all. I did not find anything obviously suspect. I will have another look at the GI ones though when I get home though. What are you thinking? Do tell. All ideas gratefully received!

Hi mate,

Just to confirm that it's fuse F2 on the power supply board (not on the PPB board) that keeps blowing? Are you able to disconnect things from the power supply board, swap the fuse and then see if it blows with nothing connected (playfield, backbox etc). If that's ok then start connecting things up one at a time, powering on each time to see what happens. This should help track down where the issue is.

If the fuse blows when nothing is connected to the power board then that would suggest a board issue. If it blows when hooked up to something (playfield for example) then you know the issue is somewhere there.

Oh no reason - Was just thinking that if the GI wasnt working, and F2 was blowing, the first place i would look,check would be the connector - Disconnect the GI connector and see if the fuse still blows - so the issue may be proved to either one of the boards or the cabling in the machine...

Hi mate,

Just to confirm that it's fuse F2 on the power supply board (not on the PPB board) that keeps blowing? Are you able to disconnect things from the power supply board, swap the fuse and then see if it blows with nothing connected (playfield, backbox etc). If that's ok then start connecting things up one at a time, powering on each time to see what happens. This should help track down where the issue is.

If the fuse blows when nothing is connected to the power board then that would suggest a board issue. If it blows when hooked up to something (playfield for example) then you know the issue is somewhere there.

Exactly What he said! :)

Oh no reason - Was just thinking that if the GI wasnt working, and F2 was blowing, the first place i would look,check would be the connector - Disconnect the GI connector and see if the fuse still blows - so the issue may be proved to either one of the boards or the cabling in the machine...

GI is working though mate. It's the non-GI that is not.

Hi mate,

It's this one Dude:

backbox2.jpg

Damn crazy Data East config.

**I should note that this is an image I swagged from the net and not my machine.**

Damn crazy Data East config.

Your not kidding!! Just looking at the manual on IPDB and there are 4 F2 fuses :D From your pic it's the F2 that's not on any of the boards, it's separate for the lamps (8A Slow Blo 18vDC Lamps).

It looks like CN6 and CN7 on the CPU board go to all of the controlled lamps. Disconnect them, put in a new F2 fuse and see what happens?

Your not kidding!! Just looking at the manual on IPDB and there are 4 F2 fuses :D From your pic it's the F2 that's not on any of the boards, it's separate for the lamps (8A Slow Blo 18vDC Lamps).

It looks like CN6 and CN7 on the CPU board go to all of the controlled lamps. Disconnect them, put in a new F2 fuse and see what happens?

You are quite right on all counts! I can't remember if I have tried disconnecting CN7 and CN6 and then booting so I will do it anyway when I get home and report back. I've spent days working on this on and off and it's all become a bit of a blur. :eek:

:-oI'm having similar problems with my WWFRR but it's GI not CPU lamps.

It's been like it for months now. Think I'm just gonna tear out the boards and send em to Andy :mad:

You could put a multimeter on the relevant lines CN6 & CN7 and see if there is continunity or a short...

You could put a multimeter on the relevant lines CN6 & CN7 and see if there is continunity or a short...

How exactly should I go about doing this correctly please? Sorry, but I am a total noob when it comes to stuff like this. I am learning though! Slowly but surely.

Reactions: JT.
OK! So fuse F2 still blows when CN6 and CN7 are unplugged. But it does not blow when CN4 is unplugged.

I had a problem on "that" frankestein pin of mine, that kept blowing a fuse because of a faulty flasher bulb in the backbox.

I had a problem on "that" frankestein pin of mine, that kept blowing a fuse because of a faulty flasher bulb in the backbox.

Interesting. I have read this somewhere else too. That was a Sega too. How did you find it?

I removed all bulbs and put them back one by one :)

In fact - taking all the bulbs out should enable to you prove thats the issue... so if it was me i'd take am all out, check the sockets are empty, and replace one by one...

EDIT - Arv beat me to it!

Back
Top Bottom