What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great British Pinball Podcast

s000m

Site Supporter
Alias
Scott
Hey All,

Myself and Neil have decided to pilot the idea of producing our own podcast. We welcome you to have a listen and provide feedback on our very first show!

GBPP.jpeg

Hopefully you find our own take on Pinball content entertaining.

Cheers,

Scott

Had a little listen, did a lot of skipping.

If you want my honest opinion - keep it down to 30mins per episode. Work out a list of things you want to talk about each episode. I could not listen to any podcast for 2hours. The only way I could is stick it on in the background, and then of course you do not really listen - unless something pricks up you ears!

Also consider getting better microphones/sound module. Neil's end sounded better than your end Scott.

Good luck with it.

Had a little listen, did a lot of skipping.

If you want my honest opinion - keep it down to 30mins per episode. Work out a list of things you want to talk about each episode. I could not listen to any podcast for 2hours. The only way I could is stick it on in the background, and then of course you do not really listen - unless something pricks up you ears!

Also consider getting better microphones/sound module. Neil's end sounded better than your end Scott.

Good luck with it.
Thanks for the feed back Phil. Yeah even though I'm using a Beyerdynamic Headset for some reason the Mic levels are not loud enough even though I have a dedicated AMP.

Agree on the length we'll definitely make shorter pod casts. Its all a learning experience!

Here's the AI generated summary if anyone interested:

(0:00:34) - Conversations About Pinball and Niche Hobbies (25 Minutes)

I discuss the impact of working from home on my hobbies, from playing pinball to running into people that share the same passion. I also talk about the reactions I get from people when I tell them I play pinball, and how the hobby often sparks conversations about the nostalgia of pinball machines. Finally, I share how I've had colleagues come down to play pinball and how they're surprised by how challenging it can be.

(0:25:20) - Discussing Pinball Community and New Machines (11 Minutes)

We explore the social aspect of pinball and the diverse collection of people that come together through it. I discuss the connections I have made through pinball and how the internet has played a role in its growth. I also talk about pinball distributors, the latest news in pinball, and the pricing of new machines.

(0:36:00) - Sound in Pinball Games (5 Minutes)

I discuss how important sound and music are in a pinball game and how it can make or break the experience. I share my experience with retheming Iron Maiden and discuss the flipper mechs of Stern and JJP. We also touch on the Marvel character Venom and the impact that movies have had on his popularity.

(0:41:26) - Avengers Mania and Online Pinball (8 Minutes)

We explore the anticipation and release of the new pinball game, Venom, and how the postponement of Bond has shifted the timeline for the launch. I share my thoughts on the game, from its visuals to its code, and how the RPG element of the game is an exciting new addition to the pinball world. We consider the idea of having an online play option for the game, and how this could bring people together in an innovative way. Finally, we discuss the importance of sound and music in creating an immersive pinball experience.

(0:49:54) - Discussion on He-Man Pinball Theme (6 Minutes)

We discuss the potential of a He-Man pinball game and what we hope to see from it, from the assets to the physical changes to the experience. We compare it to other pinball games and point out the unique comedy hidden in the original He-Man cartoon, as well as its iconic intro. We also explore the rumor of Stern or American Pinball developing the game and how much was paid for the license. Finally, we compare the game to Led Zeppelin and the rumored John Elton Rocketman game.

(0:56:06) - Pinball Machines and Licensing Constraints (11 Minutes)

We discuss the appeal of pinball machines with licensed themes, such as Slash, Rush, and Elton John. We explore the success of Elvira's pinball game and the potential of a game based on the horror classic, Creature from the Black Lagoon. We consider the effect of licensees on game designs and the ceiling of pricing for pinball games.

(1:06:55) - Pinball Mods and Favorite Machines (4 Minutes)

We look at how modding can add new life to pinball games, from adding LEDs and changing artwork to manipulating switches and more. I mention some of the great mods that have come out, such as the Grogu mod, and why I love pinball machines that are open to modding. We discuss how modding can bridge the gap between what players want and what is available, and I share my experience helping out a friend at the Chicago Expo. Finally, we look forward to our Favorite Pinball segment, where we will have guests come on to talk about their favorite pinball machines.

(1:10:34) - Discussion on Pinball Games (10 Minutes)

I talk about my experience with buying and restoring a Monster Bash pinball machine. I explain the features that make this game so appealing, including its easy gameplay, great light show, funny callouts, and innovative features. I also share my excitement about the potential for a He-Man pinball game and how I believe it could be a great success. Finally, I talk about how modding can give new life to pinball machines and transform them into something truly unique.

(1:20:38) - Tech Presentation and Pinball Restorations (10 Minutes)

We discuss the restoration process of Scott's Theatre of Magic pinball machine. We talk about the difficulty of replacing parts and the modernizing of the game. We also touch on the popularity of the game and why it has remained in demand. We pay tribute to the genius of the game's designer, Lyman Sheats, and his incredible coding. Lastly, we explore the appeal of other classic pinball machines such as Circus Voltaire, Fear of Magic, World Cup Soccer, and Totan.

(1:30:57) - Restoring Pinball Machines, Balancing Passion (9 Minutes)

We discuss the challenges of having inadequate space for a pinball restoration workshop and the balance between turning a hobby into a job. I explain my experience with the heat and the noise of the restoration process and admire Scott's progress in his restoration of Theatre of Magic. We also talk about the potential of miniaturizing pinball machines and the difficulty of fitting games in a limited space. I share my plans to build a dedicated workspace in my garden with the help of a friend.

(1:39:57) - Stern's 60th Edition and Future Events (11 Minutes)

We examine the controversy surrounding the release of the 60th edition of the Pro Premium LE pinball game and why it was a must-have license for many pinball fans. We explore the modern day version of classic stern pinball games with the release of Keith L wins 60th and why some players may have given it a bad review. We discuss the benefits of restoring older pinball machines and the tricks of the trade for ensuring the clear coat is done right. Lastly, we look at upcoming events such as UK Pinfest and UK Open, and the anticipation of the new Theater Magic pinball game.

(1:50:59) - Upcoming Guest (1 Minutes)

Scott and I discussed the challenges of setting up a new podcast and the importance of getting feedback from listeners. We also touched on the importance of encouraging others to listen and share the podcast if they enjoyed it. It was a pleasure to talk with Scott and we look forward to having him on again for the next show.

Thanks @Wizcat for the transcript. Got to love Chat GPT (assuming that's what you used). Its seriously impressive how its extracted all that information. If the podcast takes off I'll invest in a new mic.

Cheers,

Scott

Listened to this whilst working and really enjoyed the chat and stories.

I agree with making it a bit shorter and I would also shorten the intro music a bit, as I skipped that and missed the start.

Looking forward to more though and if you need someone on to talk Big Buck Hunter or Stern Star Wars, you know where I am 🤔

Listened to this whilst working and really enjoyed the chat and stories.

I agree with making it a bit shorter and I would also shorten the intro music a bit, as I skipped that and missed the start.

Looking forward to more though and if you need someone on to talk Big Buck Hunter or Stern Star Wars, you know where I am 🤔
Thanks for listening!

Agree we'll look to shorten the podcast. We're thinking 45 minutes. The intro is a work in progress, we'll keep it to a short period.

Guests are always welcome! I'll send you a PM once we know our schedule etc.

I haven't listened yet but I'm used to podcasts 1hr-2hrs. Length isn't an issue at all, but the content has to be there.

I haven't listened yet but I'm used to podcasts 1hr-2hrs. Length isn't an issue at all, but the content has to be there.
I agree, I listen to plenty of podcasts that long or even longer. The pause button was invented years ago. Enjoyed the podcast and great to have a uk focused one at last.

Really enjoyed this, makes a pleasant change from endless audio books.

On a completely selfish note, 45mins is a perfect time as it covers my commute 😉

Just wanted to say thanks for all the positive comments and feedback. Its been a great learning experience for both of us and we'll do our best to make the next podcast even better!

Look forward to seeing most of you at Pinfest.

Cheers!

Scott

still not showing up in my podcast catcher/player (overcast)

I know there is an audio file above but i listen to podcasts when driving between customer sites, cant be assed downloading another cast player just for one podcast, i guess ill just wait till its available on Overcast (don't know ins and outs of cast players, just know overcast seems to suit my needs) happy to be convinced otherwise also

still not showing up in my podcast catcher/player (overcast)

I know there is an audio file above but i listen to podcasts when driving between customer sites, cant be assed downloading another cast player just for one podcast, i guess ill just wait till its available on Overcast (don't know ins and outs of cast players, just know overcast seems to suit my needs) happy to be convinced otherwise also
I found it in mine by going to add a new Podcast, but rather than using the search I chose RSS, then pasted in https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/1285919.rss

Great podcast! Really enjoyed the first episode, most of the pinball podcasts i listen too are from over the pond, so is nice to hear something from a UK perspective. Keep up the great work! Im also quite new to the hobby, and its great to see so much great content on the subject!

Finally finished it, like others have said I don't think the length is the issue. I often listen to TPN, Triple Drain and LoserKid and they often run 1-2 hours but the content has to be there to keep you listening.

Both of you having a list of conversation points will help keep things trimmed down and focused, I know Joel often says he does it this way on Triple Drain to try and keep them on track. More UK content is always a good thing especially if its promoting everything UK pinball, from shows, events, modders, players and maybe the slow decline of NIB thanks to the electrocoin monopoly tax ;)

Last edited:
New Podcast on Monday!

Our next podcast will be recorded on Monday and released on Wednesday for those travelling to UKPInfest and cover the things you should do at the show (like help convince Phil that doing Stall ball on Twilight Zone is crazy talk).
We will talk about Stern's Jaws Pinball, starting with the models. Yes, pinballers of the world, Jaws will feature a Super Limited Edition (I've got my name down for one), and yes, ladies and gentlemen, we may need a bigger boat for this one, GET ON THE HYPE TRAIN!!!! Venom Delays? and some news from Windsor, in England, or more precisely, old Windsor - could it be Rocketman!? Or are we leading you up a yellow brick road again!?
But as if that wasn't enough, We will share details of another fantastic game you will want to play that will blow your mind!
Join Scott Rundle and me, Neil McRae, next week for the Great British Podcast - so British, it comes with Tea and Crumpets.

Errrr all you have to do is call me or drop me a message or even start a thread on here about stall ball machines. Doing it in a podcast released the day before the show isn’t going to convince me or anyone else and is completely the wrong way of going about it.

It’s all a bit of fun and if things don’t go to plan or we get the odd hiccup, it all adds to the event.

I have been to EJ’s house in Windsor in the good old days😂😉
Or could it be my accountants😂 (COGS)

Errrr all you have to do is call me or drop me a message or even start a thread on here about stall ball machines. Doing it in a podcast released the day before the show isn’t going to convince me or anyone else and is completely the wrong way of going about it.

It’s all a bit of fun and if things don’t go to plan or we get the odd hiccup, it all adds to the event.
FYI that's a comment from Neil there Phil, not from me. Hence the quote. I don't think he means anything by it. Its Neil humour after all.

Back
Top Bottom