What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gottlieb Appreciation Thread

I have Sinbad , Black Hole , Devils Dare and Spirit(not in my possession yet).
Sinbad is one of those " I need to have another game" games - simple rules but really hard to have anything but a short game.
Devils Dare - great art and quite a few things to do - great widebody game.
The others speak for themselves

the thing i like about the 80's gott's is the different layouts and gameplay they tried- each game was so unusual. (maybe stern could get some inspiration here??) Haunted spirit and black hole, monte carlo, gold wings and rock all have a big thumbs up from me. own one (haunted) but used to have operation thunder which was fun if you had it set to lose the ball if you ran out of fuel. I also think SF2 deserves mopre credit than it gets, i wouldnt want one but there are a couple of innovations there and it did its job in the day it took money and was much more reliable on site than some of those mid late 90's williams. they completely lost it later on though their late games are awful except stargate IMO. e/m gotts are the best though like kings and queens and those woodrails, and lets remember if it wasnt for gottliebs innovation of 1947 i wonder what kind of possibly flipperless games we would be playing now...

Had it shipped over. It was reasonably cheap so was prepared to take a gamble. But I had spoken to the seller on the phone and done a bit of background research to convince myself the sale was legit.

Rocky is great, looks cool and a real collectors item, but most of all it plays brilliant with a good rule set.
I want someone out there to do a real nice refurb on mine, although its in decent condition now.

Also got a Big Brave which can take some stick for a 45 year old game. Parts still available too.

Last edited:
I've removed the (Don't laugh) part from the thread title as it appears there's a lot of love for Gottlieb after all! I might try and bring over a TX from France in the new year. Can't have only 4 in the UK that's no where near enough!

Thought I would dig up this old relic of a thread having set up my recent addition of a TX Sector last night. Got home from work earlier than usual today so thought I'd settle in with a few beers and a few games..... I've probably put 40 games on it tonight (Couldn't help myself) and I'm loving the simple but challenging ruleset. The risk/reward with building up your mega levels and either going for multi ball or hitting down the interlink target then quickly trying to teleport for a x9 megalevel bonus is such a thrill. Really love this game so far and it's absolutely kicking my butt!

Last edited:
I didn't realise you picked one up mate. Did you post about it elsewhere? Was it one from the UK?
I bet you have been saying "Tx, Tx, Tx, Tx" to yourself all night 😂

I didn't realise you picked one up mate. Did you post about it elsewhere? Was it one from the UK?
I bet you have been saying "Tx, Tx, Tx, Tx" to yourself all night 😂
@stumblor gets the credit for finding it but it came from Tobin, absolutely amazing guy! I left it on earlier and forgot about it and it screamed "TX TX Tx tx...." During the attract mode and I've never jumped so much in my life. 😂

The only machine I've regretted selling is Cue Ball Wizard. The Gottlieb's have pretty crappy flipper feel but there is something addictive about the gameplay. That loose cue ball can make for some brilliant shots. Must stop thinking. Temptation setting in.

The only machine I've regretted selling is Cue Ball Wizard. The Gottlieb's have pretty crappy flipper feel but there is something addictive about the gameplay. That loose cue ball can make for some brilliant shots. Must stop thinking. Temptation setting in.
I've never played cue ball wizard but always loved the look of that game... I'd definately like to have one some day. And I know what you mean about the flippers, especially the really pointy design they went with for the system 3 games. Makes me wonder if people would like them more if they had Williams flippers fitted instead.

I've never played cue ball wizard but always loved the look of that game... I'd definately like to have one some day. And I know what you mean about the flippers, especially the really pointy design they went with for the system 3 games. Makes me wonder if people would like them more if they had Williams flippers fitted instead.

I remember playing it at Coral Island in Blackpool in the 90's. It was the first pinball machine I bought. Would have been amazing with WMS flippers! One day. One day....

Back
Top Bottom