Gold Plating

robertlucas1970

Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2016
Shrewsbury
Can somebody please point me in the direction where to get this done, would like to get a few ramps done if it's not crazy money.
Many Thanks

OP
robertlucas1970

robertlucas1970

Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2016
Shrewsbury
Thanks for all the Info, I am getting all the outside metalwork powdercoated in metalic gold.
Not sure if this would work on the flat ramps or would it chip off ? so thought I would look at getting them plated.
I know we have powder coated wire ramps in many games, but never seen any flat rumps done like this.
Many Thanks

Attachments

MajesticPinball

Beta Tester
Jan 11, 2018
Essex
Facebook.com
Alias
James Reed
I went to a platers a while back to get a load of ramps gold plated and they told me that was a crazy idea and would cost quite a lot for what it is, so they recommended getting them brass plated instead and they turned out great, and a lot cheaper

Reactions: Hullshark

Andypc

Site Supporter
Oct 24, 2015
London, UK
Are you talking ramps or wire frames? Wire frame as still reasonable to get gold plated as the don't need much gold.

OP
robertlucas1970

robertlucas1970

Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2016
Shrewsbury
Are you set on actual gold plating? I have had a number of parts plated in a gold coloured metal and it has been very reasonably priced. @bartron may be able to give you an account of how they came out as his IJ, TOTAN and Shadow have all had this done.
Thanks for the info, can I ask where you sent them to be done ? I have so many new parts to go in the Elvis which I have been collecting, so just need to tidy the ramps up.
I would be happy if they just come out like the original.
Many Thanks

Kman

Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2019
Haslemere, Surrey
I've used Silvabronz in Hants (www.beckworth.net) for gold plating wire ramps. Long story short from my research (though others here who do this more often may know different) is that you need the items 'hard gold' plated which still uses 24c gold which itself is soft but actually put over a nickel coat. As the rails are steel it's therefore copper coat + nickel coat + gold coat (of appropriate microns thickness).

bartron

Site Supporter
Aug 19, 2011
Hornchurch, Essex.
I have had a lot of stuff plated over the years. Never any issues. This is not the 24 carat stuff ( that costs Fortune)but it's plenty good enough for a pinball.
Thanks for the info, can I ask where you sent them to be done ? I have so many new parts to go in the Elvis which I have been collecting, so just need to tidy the ramps up.
I would be happy if they just come out like the original.
Many Thanks

price depends what the plater wants
on the day but it is reasonable. For instance the 5 shadow ramps and the gun being played it cost less than 130 quid for the lot.
It's the same plater where Manny used to get his done.FB_IMG_1595774962066.jpgFB_IMG_1595774993248.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: robertlucas1970
OP
robertlucas1970

robertlucas1970

Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2016
Shrewsbury
Has anybody plated all the other bits ? legs, door, lockbar, side rails ?
I was only going to get the ramps done as all the other bits I wanted powder coated in metallic gold and I picked the bits up today and I am so unhappy with them.
Wasted £200 and the company is saying its the way the sample looks over the phone, they look orange, so now I need to find another powder coaters or get the lot plated if this is possible ?
If anybody has had these bits plated can I see some pics please, not the real gold as thats just too expensive, but the Inclux- Gold & Nickel mix

116432101_321721338958731_6765167808026082070_n.pngIMG_20200805_191532585.jpg

CHRIS B PINBALLS

Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2019
bingley
I don’t think you will be able to metal plate them now you have powder coated them the problem is you have to blast the old powder coat off this leaves it pitted to hell so you would have to polish them up to get them plated
If you gold plated all the armour it would be close to 1k a coin door 24 carat gold plated cost me about £350 inc vat
I haven’t ever found a nice gold powder coating as yet

Reactions: robertlucas1970
OP
robertlucas1970

robertlucas1970

Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2016
Shrewsbury
I don’t think you will be able to metal plate them now you have powder coated them the problem is you have to blast the old powder coat off this leaves it pitted to hell so you would have to polish them up to get them plated
If you gold plated all the armour it would be close to 1k a coin door 24 carat gold plated cost me about £350 inc vat
I haven’t ever found a nice gold powder coating as yet
I was going to go for the Inclux- Gold & Nickel mix which looks real nice at a fraction of the cost, the pictures above of the Shadow parts look real nice and very cheap to have done.
My Sopranos used to have a black gloss powdercoat which I think the last owner did, when I had that done in red they put all the bits in a acid bath, is that not possible now before plating do you think ?

Kman

Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2019
Haslemere, Surrey
I'd be as disappointed as you based on the pics. Colour matching is difficult to get 100% right even with RAL colour cards in your hand......before routing the images through cameras/screens. Best approach imho for this sort of thing is to visit a plater with your samples and get a pukka quote plus look at their work. Chances are there's an Incalux plater within reasonable travel distance of you that looks like being ok for the job.

Neil McRae

Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
Surrey
playpinball.uk
Alias
Neil McRae
OP
robertlucas1970

robertlucas1970

Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2016
Shrewsbury
Thanks for the links, I will have a good look when I get home, I can't see all the parts available for Stern, I expect the quality of these is very nice.
I don't mind spending the cash, it will to be a keeper now as I'm already 4k into the pin.
Many Thanks