What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getaway HS2

Soooo.. The main ribbon cable...When seated correctly makes the display come good. But definitely some issues in there now with animations. I think its because this Pinsound needs the ribbon cable "the wrong way round" for the newer updated ribbon cable. I cant really explain it very well..

View attachment 101215

You can see the notch needs to be tuther way round in that picture.

View attachment 101214

But as you can see from the cable, it wants to be the other way...if you see what I mean.

Anyway, no bother..I'll have a check and check again. I can get the lines to go if I Jimmy the cable into the pinsound, but I lose the sound

I'll figure it out 😁 sound and display used to work before so sure it will once again 👍

Like you said above, use a dremel or something to sand/cut the notch off the connector (carefully though as if you nick the ribbon cable its game over for the weekend!!!!)

Strange that they would design PinSound to need the ribbon cable upside down to the other board connections. I don’t imagine ribbon cables like being twisted which would explain the display oddities.

Strange that they would design PinSound to need the ribbon cable upside down to the other board connections. I don’t imagine ribbon cables like being twisted which would explain the display oddities.

the ribbon is a replacement one from ph. The red line is at the other end to

As @myPinballs mentioned, pinsound designed it for the original cable, the one I have is replacement and slightly different.

Anyway, I can get no line display now with no sound and broken animations. Haha.

I might have to walk away from this machine for a few days. It's starting to get on my nerves...

Honestly mate, I had exactly the same, no sound & display messed up means it’s that cable, I had this on powering up my first ever machine. I was gutted, ordered brand new cable, very carefully fitted it using a torch to make sure 100% I was connecting it correctly and it’s been perfect since.
If god forbid you did twist the cable and get the notch to sit right in the pinsound board you would have major issues afterwards as that would be the wrong way round.
Carefully and slowly check pins on pinsound board and display board, carefully and slowly reseat cables supporting board from behind so it doesn’t bend to much. Persevere mate, you’ve learnt and taught us loads recently with this thread [emoji106]

Something bothers me about the main ribbon cable... But I don't know what. The red line is in at 34 on each board..I know the pinsound wants the red line at the top, but that's for an original cable.

So long as it's connecting the same pins on each board, it ought to be correct? No?

The red line isn’t that important as long as the orientation is right, no severe twists and it’ll be fine.
The video shows it all connected correctly (from what we can see - could still be a bent pin etc)

Last edited:
The red line isn’t that important as long as the orientation is right, no severe twists and it’ll be fine.
So as far as I can tell, that cable is doing nothing wrong, but gives no sound...

Daft thing to say, are you sure the volume is turned up inside the coin door ?

Guys - is there nobody on this group that is local and can give Rob a hand in person with this before we find him dangling off a rope ?
Haha, just went into check the volume. Volume is up 😁

I hear the pinsound boot up, it's not getting any data from the game after..

Let me video it before I pop up the shed for a hammer.. 😁

These ribbon cables seem a bit of a pita. I remember from pc mods, replacing ribbons with cool braided cables!

Couple things here now you've got me off my **** and back to the machine @Pick Holder 😁

This is a long time for the initial test.

And for my pinsound colleagues, it's checking sound files each time it loads, which is odd. As it had the files. Wonder if the usb is corrupted. I'll load a new set of sounds now..check that out

Last edited:
Has PinSound ever worked? Don’t you need to load it with stuff?

My vague understanding of PinSound, I thought it made like a sortof THX sound when it boots? Didn’t think it should say “checking sound files” every boot.

Last edited:
Yea I've had it working and even been creating my own orchestrations and stuff. It's been fine.

Loading it up again,

My pinsound has never said ‘checking sound files’?? Mine does take a bit of time to boot, starts with a series of beeps then the boot up sound.
Good news, cable has fixed the dmd and no sound issue right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you watch this video at 1.07 you'll see an animation of shift to launch ball.

My animations have gone as you can see below.

Anyway, not to worry, I think I'll just leave this for a bit now. I'm losing the will to live, even the Pinsound gives a loading error now.. Pinball hates me.

I’m no expert at all mate but off all week and I’m from Kent so happy to come and assist if I can?
If not happy to have a play [emoji106]

I’m no expert at all mate but off all week and I’m from Kent so happy to come and assist if I can?
If not happy to have a play [emoji106]

I'll take moral support a packet of biscuits and a brew ! haha

Re-instated the original sound card, and after swapping the ASIC on the CPU board, the irritating sound appears to be gone, it will need more play to fully check. Its impossible to really know what removed it if it is gone. The rogue floating GND wire is fixed now, the resistor board has been de-hacked and the DC motor replaced with the correct AC motor. Maybe that was causing voltage problems that triggered the sound. I have zero clue.. We have also set the voltage to 230v from 118v in the process and moved the DMD power to a @myPinballs power board to take some strain off the main power board,.,

Defo a problem with display graphics now tho...Even with old sound card, stuffs missing :) Will order new cables, there are 3 in there that were not new and I've been pulling them in and out a fair bit..

What happens if you do a dispaly check ? Does it report any errors after?

I would also consider re-loading the colordmd files into your display just in case something has got corrupt. It would not shock me.

What ROM is on the ColorDMD? Should be able to find out from the buttons. Missing animations is just weird.

I feel your pain with this. Frustrating as you shouldn’t have had to deal with any of this.

What happens if you do a dispaly check ? Does it report any errors after?

Checks out fine, RAM Test OK

I would also consider re-loading the colordmd files into your display just in case something has got corrupt. It would not shock me.

Reloaded 4.1 CHROMA for HS2 - All seems to check out.

It seems to be that data isnt getting correctly to DMD Board. So thats either the big cable or the CPU direct to DMD cable.. Ive reseated them 5 or 6 times, checked em and cleaned them with rubbing alcohol..

OBV sound doesnt work for Pinsound...But it did for the old soundcard.. This cable and Pinsound...Must be something there.. When it worked before, I had it twisted to fit.. But it HAS to be correct! Ive checked it so much.

What ROM is on the ColorDMD? Should be able to find out from the buttons. Missing animations is just weird.

I feel your pain with this. Frustrating as you shouldn’t have had to deal with any of this.

Well yea, but this was all stuff that was working, its only breaking now because I'm working through a process to hunt down the weird noise. It seems that "might' have gone incidentally, with the things we have done. PINSOUND makes a BIG deal about the red line being at the top of the connector, b ut it shouldnt matter, so long as they are connecting the right pins through out the boards right?

The red line doesn’t matter. It only matters that the ribbon is on the right pins consistently. Twisting it would suggest not. Twisting it may have knackered the cable and/or done damage to the PinSound.

I didn’t realise the ribbons you had bought were reversed from the OEM ones. That makes things confusing.

Hopefully @Andydn can drop in and add some moral support. If I was anywhere close to Kent I’d come over tonight :(

What does it currently do with the OEM sound board in?

Sorry to hear all of this, hunting sound issues is a pest. I feel your pain on it.

Generally, everything has come up ok. We now have Pinsound and new speakers, @myPinballs power board for mods, correct ac motor, resistor board back to factory, fliptronic board transistors fixed after I wired the flippers badly, new 230v instead of 118v (?), Rogue ground floating wire is now wired as it should be from factory, new nvram instead of battery.and new ASIC to test if it kills irritating sound.

Last thing...DMD has vertical lines now...View attachment 101212
Hi there. Watching this thread as I have both a Getaway and HS2. I seems you have had quite a job on your hands. I certainly will not be buying anything from this Backhouse chap. Why on earth did you not check it, was it working when you got it? One thing that bothers me, you mention yours was set on 118 Volts Thant cant be right can it? The UK voltage is double that so it would probably blown up every board and fuse and just would not have worked at all. I live just outside London in Surrey, so maybe we can meet up sometime and excahnge stories Good luck with your machine John

Hi there. Watching this thread as I have both a Getaway and HS2. I seems you have had quite a job on your hands. I certainly will not be buying anything from this Backhouse chap. Why on earth did you not check it, was it working when you got it? One thing that bothers me, you mention yours was set on 118 Volts Thant cant be right can it? The UK voltage is double that so it would probably blown up every board and fuse and just would not have worked at all. I live just outside London in Surrey, so maybe we can meet up sometime and excahnge stories Good luck with your machine John
Oops, typo. probably meant 218v I'll check it later in manual and adjust the typo!

Back
Top Bottom