What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getaway HS2

If you don’t know any different, and your only experience is playing - not maintaining - pinball machines, then it’s easy to get duped.

In the OP’s case the seller of the pin he bought came on here looking for help to solve a problem he was experiencing. It seems he localised the problem, but then punted the machine on to the OP without fixing it, or telling him that it was there. OP rocks up, seller tells him an odd noise is “part of the game”, or something, and the OP doesn’t know any different and trusts the guy at his word. OP found this forum from searching for help for the same problem.

Condition is very subjective, and something described as “mint” might be nowhere close to an actual fully restored minty pin. Again, if you don’t have a frame of reference you will probably end up trusting what you’re told, especially if it’s your first pin.

I consider myself very lucky that my mate bought a lemon Funhouse (not from here), because it primed me to do a lot more research, find this place, and be in a position to second guess condition etc before I bought my first one.

People generally aren't expecting to treat a pinball purchase like purchasing a second-hand car, but I honestly believe that's a very fair and close comparison.

Oops, typo. probably meant 218v I'll check it later in manual and adjust the typo!
Makes sense. UK volts can vary between about 225 to 245 so 218 would not have caused any real problems but would put a little extra strain on the power board and regulators. I used to collect mostly EM games and was an ex-Operator It was an old trick of using the lower voltage tap and the transformer to increase the power to the slingshots and flippers but in my view was pointless as the play plastics would wear out and get damaged more quickly. Pretty pointless doing in a Solid State machines as the flippers are regulated DC, very odd

Last edited:
People generally aren't expecting to treat a pinball purchase like purchasing a second-hand car, but I honestly believe that's a very fair and close comparison.
Sadly in the world we live in today I treat everyone with suspicion, question virtually everything I am told and check everything as much as possible. Scammers are getting very clever. I try to use eBay / Amazon as much as possible as they have returns policies that help protect the buyer What a sad world this is becoming.

SOOOO...

Got all new ribbons.. Replaced them one by one and tested. No difference.. UNTIL...

Main ribbon, replaced exactly as I had previous one... Sounds back, animations are back. Needs another couple hours of testing I think ;)

I cant tell you if its the new cable or just that this time, it seated better (I have done it at least 6 or 7 times, super carefully!)

But it's working. So I thought I'l rip it apart and change a load of other stuff now....Not...Will give it a few days of actual play! :)

What IS good, is that I tested with the old sound card, and I didn't hear the irritating sound, so it feels like the ASIC change fixed that. But I am only 50/50 on that. When I'm next feeling suicidal, I'll swap the old board back in and do some testing..

But we have NVRAM on the CPU board now instead of the battery and all new ribbons, instead of the old (as far as I can tell, working) cables...

So everyone who said "Classic ribbon cable issues there Roberto...." you get a biscuit! 🍪

Thank you all for continued help with this machine 👍

....I’ll be round at 18:30, no more tinkering, I want to play it! Oh and save me a biscuit [emoji514]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funky ribbons will cause all kinds of problems. Issues with the main ribbon will cause a multitude of unpredictable problems, as it connects all of the boards.

I'm a bit surprised there isn't a bulletproof solution for them, but I don't suppose there is sufficient demand, particularly as newer pins all use more modern connections - RJ45, USB, etc.

Anyone worried that Rob was going to hang himself soon fear not!
Visited Rob today under the guise of helping him but luckily help was not needed so we just had a session on his Getaway HS2 - he’s done great work on it along with help from forum members and it’s a shining example of how perseverance and help from the good people on here can turn a ****ty situation round [emoji106]
Great game, plays extremely well and Robs a sound bloke, very knowledgable and capable to be fair
Cheers Rob [emoji3060]

Anyone worried that Rob was going to hang himself soon fear not!
Visited Rob today under the guise of helping him but luckily help was not needed so we just had a session on his Getaway HS2 - he’s done great work on it along with help from forum members and it’s a shining example of how perseverance and help from the good people on here can turn a ****ty situation round [emoji106]
Great game, plays extremely well and Robs a sound bloke, very knowledgable and capable to be fair
Cheers Rob [emoji3060]

Haha. Great to meet you Andy, you're welcome anytime!

Congrats on coaster #1 🙂

So the asic change cured it with the original sound board in, so we’ve sorted this a few ways nows 👍
Certainly seems to have fixed it, I'd like to have it running with old sound plus current set up for a few hours.. see what happens... :)

Back
Top Bottom