What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Games that make you a better player

Whatā€™s wrong with poor JackBot? :eek: Itā€™s like PinBot with a DMD and more rules šŸ˜ƒ

I'll derail the thread is I go off on a tangent explaining why I dislike that game but I'm aware others like it.

Suffice to say the games I enjoy make me play more pinball, Jackbot makes me switch it off and play less pinball.

I'll derail the thread is I go off on a tangent explaining why I dislike that game but I'm aware others like it.

Suffice to say the games I enjoy make me play more pinball, Jackbot makes me switch it off and play less pinball.
I donā€™t think it would be as much of a derail as you think :) Iā€™ve learned a lot about how to play TWD better, just by being on a thread about playing better where people are talking about the merits/flaws of (various shots on) TWD.

I tend to approach machines Iā€™m unfamiliar with by trying tactics that work on other pins, such as shooting lit spinners on 80s pins and shooting bash toys on pins that are post-AFM/MM. So, yes, before I read the thread discussion, my focus on TWD was shooting the prison (not barn!) doors and the well walker - because theyā€™re obvious targets that look like they should start something (e.g. a multiball). After reading the discussion, I realise this approach is fatal - theyā€™re difficult shots with limited payoff, and Iā€™m not a sufficiently good player to be able to coast along making shots that are harder than they need to be.

I donā€™t think it would be as much of a derail as you think :) Iā€™ve learned a lot about how to play TWD better, just by being on a thread about playing better where people are talking about the merits/flaws of (various shots on) TWD.

I tend to approach machines Iā€™m unfamiliar with by trying tactics that work on other pins, such as shooting lit spinners on 80s pins and shooting bash toys on pins that are post-AFM/MM. So, yes, before I read the thread discussion, my focus on TWD was shooting the prison (not barn!) doors and the well walker - because theyā€™re obvious targets that look like they should start something (e.g. a multiball). After reading the discussion, I realise this approach is fatal - theyā€™re difficult shots with limited payoff, and Iā€™m not a sufficiently good player to be able to coast along making shots that are harder than they need to be.

I'm only continuing to play it because I'm stubborn Vee. I've had some great tips yesterday which I'll implement and hopefully get to Horde, but once that's done I doubt I'll play it again.

It's just too harsh and unforgiving for me. TWD drains from both ramps, the Well Walker feed, the drop targets, the posts AND the magnet throw's it down the middle.

By comparison, Batman's magnet does a similar thing and the penguin crane an be brutal as are the slings. But it also has a balance of kinder shots too.

I'd actually argue that Dolly was more brutal but at least the rules were intuitive and the end of the game felt achievable. Most importantly it's fun.

Walking Dead is a machine for either very good players or those who are determined to improve their techniques and learn the rules. Most of the people who come to my house are just friends and family who are not into pinball but enjoy a quick game and bite to eat. They tend not to play TWD again after trying it and move to another machine. Champion Pub, Deadpool, World Cup Soccer, Attack From Mars & Dolly have really been the standout games that people return to.

I'm only continuing to play it because I'm stubborn Vee. I've had some great tips yesterday which I'll implement and hopefully get to Horde, but once that's done I doubt I'll play it again.

It's just too harsh and unforgiving for me. TWD drains from both ramps, the Well Walker feed, the drop targets, the posts AND the magnet throw's it down the middle.

By comparison, Batman's magnet does a similar thing and the penguin crane an be brutal as are the slings. But it also has a balance of kinder shots too.

I'd actually argue that Dolly was more brutal but at least the rules were intuitive and the end of the game felt achievable. Most importantly it's fun.

Walking Dead is a machine for either very good players or those who are determined to improve their techniques and learn the rules. Most of the people who come to my house are just friends and family who are not into pinball but enjoy a quick game and bite to eat. They tend not to play TWD again after trying it and move to another machine. Champion Pub, Deadpool, World Cup Soccer, Attack From Mars & Dolly have really been the standout games that people return to.
Don't get rid until I get a chance to come down and have a crack at getting Last man Standing on film :D

Oh yeah, I totally get it :) We have a bunch of stuff in our house that kills casual players within the space of a ball save. Weā€™ve had a couple of neighbourā€™s kids around, and people visiting whoā€™ve played, and they are shocked when they find out - for example - there are pins that have loads of toys, recognisable themes, and where the average ball time isnā€™t measured in milliseconds.

The pin that used to get played most (among people who recognised the theme) was Lord of the Rings because it had good music, the Balrog was fun to hit, and you could often start a mode/multiball without too much focused effort. We got rid of that one because I found it boring - so, weā€™re back to (largely) inaccessible pins without a lot of spectacle to them.

This is why I keep recommending you *donā€™t* get a TNA :) Itā€™s the ultimate ā€˜not remotely fun for casual playersā€™ pinball machine. No theme (worth mentioning), no toys, and you need good ball control just to keep the ball in play. I mean, as a training pin, itā€™s great, but itā€™s not especially appealing if youā€™re not into pinball (unlike, for example, Addamā€™s or Monster Bash).

I'd actually argue that Dolly was more brutal but at least the rules were intuitive and the end of the game felt achievable

I think you've nailed it. I was thinking similar yesterday. We keep returning to games not only because they're fun but because we can see our next goal. "Next game I'll get that jackpot"
So we try again.
I like the classics because there's no Wizard mode or end, it's just points and the ways you get them are easy to understand and the goals feel smaller and achievable.

There's more feedback too. Watching your TWD videos I have no clue what's going on, the game doesn't seem to tell you in intuitive ways. I don't know if it's different with the stock audio?

No, it has a tendency to drain SDTM when it travels past the Well Walker from the pops.

It's okay though it's only here for another month anyway and hopefully that's enough time to sample Horde once.

I appreciate the advice though and I'm sure you're absolutely correct regarding the playing improvement. I'm just not sure that I have it in me to spend ages fighting a machine so as I can get a bit better . . . . . it's just more fun to switch on Batman or Deadpool.

Yep, they all do that occasionally - check it is level at the back if it is happening a lot.

The STDM from pops, you can recognise when it comes down 'odd' and hit the side, that's a common skill you need on a lot of machines (more commonly to keep the ball away from the slings on an orbit return). Once it has made it through, you should always be ready to slap save the STDM.

As for not enjoying it, I can totally understand, but if you 'get good' at TWD then that will improve your game on any machine.

This thread asked about games that help you improve, for all these reasons I think TWD is one of the best for that. It may not be fun to play casually and if you just want a few fun games with mates it is absolutely not the machine to play.

But as a tool to make you a better player, there are few better.

Keith Elwn did all you need to see on this game and talks about nudging and strategic choices - he has a few fantastic Walking Dead videos on his YouTube.

PAPA also did a bunch of tutorials (theyā€™ve stopped now, unfortunately)

ā€I tend to have difficulty with this gameā€ Bowen Kerins. ā€œGoing for those drop targets is necessary and, unfortunately, very difficultā€. @Gonzo hope that makes you feel better :)

Last edited:
Legend. Get him to do some more tutorials and explain the basics a bit more as he seems to just be playing them lately as opposed to when he did them years ago.

Hope it's going well

Back
Top Bottom