What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Games Room of the Year UK - £3k prize

The poor guy from HLD posted that ad on J+ forum and got lynched bless him. The pitch forks well and truly came out. I kinda see their point but give the guy a break

I went in for it, I think it's a nice idea. Be stupid to turn down 3k prize as well.

Why did the pitchforks come out? I know that it says 'We love to see where our products end up' but it seems to be open to everyone, not just people with HLD machines in their collection.

Personally I like my gamesroom, as I think squeezing around 85 machines into a 3 bedroom house is pretty impressive, but I guess that's not going to win me a prize.

I guess they want to see a virtual pin at one end of a long room, next to a roaring open fire place, £1000 piece of artwook on the wall, pool table at the other end of the room with 3 meters space all the way round :rofl:

I went in for it, I think it's a nice idea. Be stupid to turn down 3k prize as well.

Why did the pitchforks come out? I know that it says 'We love to see where our products end up' but it seems to be open to everyone, not just people with HLD machines in their collection.

They were saying he way over charges for what is effectively crap and they were only joining the forum to buy cheap games and sell at inflated prices.
Poor bloke was only plugging his comp

They were saying he way over charges for what is effectively crap and they were only joining the forum to buy cheap games and sell at inflated prices.
Poor bloke was only plugging his comp

Ah yeah, that comes up time and time again on places like these. It's always the same argument, they are a retailer with overheads to cover, we are not hence the price differences.

I thought we lived in a free market? He can charge what he likes. No one has to buy. Some American games rooms are unbelievable. Great idea but best shouldn't necessary be most money threw at it.

@Matt Adams for definate.... but likely only if he's bought something from them ! May be open to anybody but it's a sure bet they want to see some of their machines in there.

squeezing around 85 machines into a 3 bedroom house is pretty impressive
Impressive? Ruddy miraculous! Did you snag a Tardis? Have you really got around 85 machines? I realise games are your living and hobby but that's definitely way over the line of obsessive! Well done! ;)

I don't think it's 85 pins though? I seem to think that Luke has a fair number of arcade machines as well.

Still bloody impressive mind.

The poor guy from HLD posted that ad on J+ forum and got lynched bless him. The pitch forks well and truly came out. I kinda see their point but give the guy a break

I'm not on commission!

Which is somehow ironic because if you had one of their machines then you probably don't need the £3k prize. :rofl:

True, and you probably wouldn't hang about on here [much].

Lot's of T&C's to consider: https://www.homeleisuredirect.com/games-room-of-the-year/terms-and-conditions.html

Last edited:
I'm tempted to submit my humble 9-foot square pin shack that's stuffed to the gunwales with 3 pins, 1 cocktail cab video game, a vintage pachinko and a mountain bike hanging from the ceiling. It's also my home office with desk, has way too many tools and all the other junk that no longer fits in the house. "Cosy" doesn't quite describe the general ambience :p

Just read T&C #5. Changed my mind. Eek.
It's not that bad is it?

5. By submitting a visual to Home Leisure Direct, the Participant agrees that it assigns to Home Leisure Direct the copyright and all similar intellectual property rights throughout the world absolutely and to the fullest extent permitted by law and at no charge to Home Leisure Direct. Home Leisure Direct shall be free to use the Visual on an unrestricted basis for any purpose whatsoever. The Participant agrees that the entries are their own original work and that they own the copyright in such Visuals. The Participant further agrees to unconditionally and irrevocably waive his or her moral rights to be identified as the author of the Visual throughout the world, to the extent that such rights are capable of being waived and that Home Leisure Direct can reproduce, modify, adapt or alter the Visuals in any way it sees fit. This waiver is made for the benefit of Home Leisure Direct and shall extend to its licenses and successors in title to the copyright in the Visuals. The Participant agrees to execute all such documents and do all such acts and things as Home Leisure Direct may reasonably require in order to assign any such rights described in this paragraph to Home Leisure Direct.

Please tell me if I'm wrong, I think they're just establishing the right to use your entry for later marketing on their site, it seems to me like defensive language?

Luke does it the right way, I mean, who else can claim they have a Data East Star Wars in their kitchen :)

So you basically have to hand over ALL rights to the images and videos of your gamesroom to HLD....
So just take a new photo specifically to submit? Each new photo you take attracts copyright - you're not giving them any and all photos of your games room!

Very standard terms where there are submissions in a comp.

So just take a new photo specifically to submit? Each new photo you take attracts copyright - you're not giving them any and all photos of your games room!

Very standard terms where there are submissions in a comp.
Take photos of your stuff to promote themselves.
Mr Edwards from the Midlands will win. (fictitional character)
Meanwhile, hld have a database of your stock so they can buy them off you to sell on at a higher price.
They need stock, think about it.

Take photos of your stuff to promote themselves.
Mr Edwards from the Midlands will win. (fictitional character)
Meanwhile, hld have a database of your stock so they can buy them off you to sell on at a higher price.
They need stock, think about it.
I find this a bit cynical. When a client asks me for terms for a competition this is exactly as per I would draft - it allows for PR etc unhindered. You could faff about with licences, but it just adds another layer of confusion.

If someone really wanted to build a database, just look at most forum users signatures that say what games are owned!!!

No one is forcing anyone to sell to HLD

I find this a bit cynical. When a client asks me for terms for a competition this is exactly as per I would draft - it allows for PR etc unhindered. You could faff about with licences, but it just adds another layer of confusion.

If someone really wanted to build a database, just look at most forum users signatures that say what games are owned!!!

No one is forcing anyone to sell to HLD
Where do they buy their stock from?

Back
Top Bottom