What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Foo Fighters Announced

Bloody typical update the code and the plastic on the left ramp snaps...

So @Colywobbles to the rescue :)

I won't play it now until ramp is sorted, a games no fun when shots brick constantly

I really like the ability to pick from all the songs and the new ones being included.

Still struggling to set a "good" score, but I rarely get to play at the moment with work. Although every time I do get half an hour to play my score gets a little higher. Really enjoying this game right now.

The cherry on top would be getting some Dave Grohl callouts on the next code update! Unlikely, I know.

I like that balls aren't auto plunged after locking a ball now, meaning more skill shot opportunities. Area 51 multiball starts with no GI for a while, it's a cool effect.

There was another code release yesterday adding the Final Battle Challenge mode. Downloading now.

V0.98.0 - October 12, 2023
================================

== FEATURE CHANGES ==

THE FINAL BATTLE CHALLENGE
- The Final Battle Challenge can be started from the GAME PLAY MENU.
Before starting the game, you can access the GAME PLAY MENU by holding
in both flippers; select "CHALLENGE MODE: FINAL BATTLE CHALLENGE" to start
the Final Battle Challenge.

- Added feature adjustment:
"ALLOW CHALLENGE MODE" - YES/NO (Default is YES)

- Added achievements:
"Space Race Victory" - Win The Final Battle Challenge Mode with a time of
under 5 minutes
"Totally Epic Win!" - Win The Final Battle Challenge Mode with a score of
1,000,000,000 or higher

THE FINAL BATTLE
- Disable Lightning Kicker rules during Final Battle (unless Lightning Mode was already running before starting)
- Added achievements:
"Free the Foos" - Complete Phase 1 of The Final Battle
"Epic Rock Battle" - Complete Phase 2 of the Final Battle
"Rescued" - Win the Final Battle

DC
- Only one super jackpot can be lit at a time.
- If you light a super jackpot while one is already lit, it will move to the new one.
- Changed the 250k jackpot increase every time you get a super to 25k to match the
increase from normal jackpots
- The van mod lights near the drop targets will now only become lit when you collect
the associated super to help keep track easier

OVERLORD
- Raise scoring for Overlord advance, and show scoring on the display effect.
- Improve UFO Button logic with Overlord advance shots to help advance
Overlord multiball if nothing else is going on.
- Improve logic with van mod skill shot after locking a ball in Overlord while a mode is running
(instantly add time, boost score, or spot shot)
- Enable super skillshot after locking a ball in Overlord
- Reset drop targets after locking a ball in Overlord for skill shot attempt,
unless all 3 of them are down.
- Add ball save after locking a ball in Overlord, with adjustment
"BALL SAVE AFTER LOCK TIME", default 5 seconds.
- Change text on the Overlord lock behavior adjustment to indicate
normal behavior vs. intentionally changed

BALL SAVE
- Add ball save for completing any skill shot, with adjustments, all
default +5 seconds ball save time added:
- "ROCK-O-METER SKILLSHOT BALL SAVE"
- "MODULATOR SKILLSHOT BALL SAVE"
- "RADIO SKILLSHOT BALL SAVE"
- "OVERDRIVE SKILLSHOT BALL SAVE"
- "PIGEON SKILLSHOT BALL SAVE"
- Add ball save for each time you complete a shot in the Hi-Five super skillshot
sequence with adjustment:
- "HI-FIVE SKILLSHOT BALL SAVE", default +3 seconds
- Overdrive is now disabled during skill shot sequence, since there is an associated ball save now.
Note: the Overdrive skill shot will always return your ball; the adjustment is for how much
ball save is in play after the ball is returned.
- Change playfield validation logic so a ball that is auto-launched into the side ramp target and
down the right outlane will give you the ball back.
- Limit max difficulty setting of Left Outlane Save Difficulty to MEDIUM (2 target set completions)

SPEECH
- Added background speech to Chicago, Los Angeles, New Orleans, New York, and Seattle.
- Added jackpot callouts to Austin and DC.
- Added speech for Insider Connected log in and achievements.

HI SCORE
- Allow flipper blowoff to speed through High Score awards

== BUG FIXES ==
- Fix van mode select behavior which in some cases could lead to the ball being stuck and unable to start van modes
- Fix an issue during Final Battle where the side ramp sometimes wouldn't relight after a plunge
- Fix an issue that sometimes prevented the Final Battle totals screen from showing

== SYSTEM 3.50 ==
- Updated to nodeboard firmware/protocol v1.12.0
- Conagent v1.0.14
- If Home Team menu is present, a popup window will make you confirm a
game start when no user was selected.
- Various behind the scenes improvements for correctness and performance.

How’s everyone liking their FF now they’ve had them a while? Honeymoon phase has worn off a bit for me, really enjoyed the bath paths and uniqueness of it at first but I just find I need to nudge more than any other game to keep control.

Maybe I’ve just been playing too much Elvira since it arrived and now everything else seems harder 😆

Anyway, are other people still enjoying theirs?

I still love mine too but as a casual player I am finding it tough. If it wasn't for it being my dream theme I think I would be considering something like Scooby Doo or getting on CCR list which according to reviews would better suit my skill level. I decided in the end to alter the playfield angle slightly, go 5 ball and mash the settings down to EASY. It's much more enjoyable now I'm progressing further and I don't care about keeping it factory as I'm not into competition play or anything.

I really like it, in fact I prefer it to Godzilla because the depth is just right for me.

It shoots really well and the rules are not too complex.

If anyone fancies a game, I'll be dropping mine to the Medway Pinball club when Tony gets back from Chicago.

I haven’t watched any videos or dug into the rules properly yet - can anyone give me a rough overview of the rules or point me to a good location that describes it? I like the shots and can have the odd decent game but don’t feel I have a grasp of what I’m trying to achieve (beyond the basics of getting a round the cities).

I haven’t watched any videos or dug into the rules properly yet - can anyone give me a rough overview of the rules or point me to a good location that describes it? I like the shots and can have the odd decent game but don’t feel I have a grasp of what I’m trying to achieve (beyond the basics of getting a round the cities).

Hello mate.

Build-up the three drop targets a bit before starting a mode. They either make the mode score more points, require less shots for completion and give more time to complete the mode.

Hit the captive ball to give yourself some free shots on the action button.

New Orleans is the best mode to start with, don't worry about looking at the screen, just follow the inserts.

Hello mate.

Build-up the three drop targets a bit before starting a mode. They either make the mode score more points, require less shots for completion and give more time to complete the mode.

Hit the captive ball to give yourself some free shots on the action button.

New Orleans is the best mode to start with, don't worry about looking at the screen, just follow the inserts.
Nice - thanks mate...gives me a starting point. I need to watch Jack explain 'the story' a bit so I understand the reasoning behind everything I think. I find games easier when I get the 'journey' aspect in mind. At the moment I'm just enjoying the music whilst winging the ball about a bit!!

I really like it, in fact I prefer it to Godzilla because the depth is just right for me.

It shoots really well and the rules are not too complex.

If anyone fancies a game, I'll be dropping mine to the Medway Pinball club when Tony gets back from Chicago.
Told you to stick it out

One thing to be aware of is that Van upgrades only really affect scoring and the risk/reward makes it a tough thing to go for if you're looking for progress or in competition (if the machine is setup hard). This is mainly because the upgrade doesn't carry over, so if you spend time upgrading the van, at significant risk, and then you start the mode and drain after one shot, all of that progress is totally lost with pretty much no payoff. If fully upgraded then you can complete modes in two shots, but that in itself is hard to achieve.

The multi balls aren't worth huge points on their own, so you really need to stack with a mode _OR_ use the MB to work on the van, which then gives you the potential payoff when you do start the mode.

One thing to be aware of is that Van upgrades only really affect scoring and the risk/reward makes it a tough thing to go for if you're looking for progress or in competition (if the machine is setup hard). This is mainly because the upgrade doesn't carry over, so if you spend time upgrading the van, at significant risk, and then you start the mode and drain after one shot, all of that progress is totally lost with pretty much no payoff. If fully upgraded then you can complete modes in two shots, but that in itself is hard to achieve.

The multi balls aren't worth huge points on their own, so you really need to stack with a mode _OR_ use the MB to work on the van, which then gives you the potential payoff when you do start the mode.

I'm always going for completion rather than score so I go for the bomb van upgrade and the UFO captive ball shot for booms. That way you can boom button, hopefully to completion if you're draining so all those van upgrades aren't wasted. Unless I have to, I don't use the yellow boom as it takes more shots to qualify yellow than green or red, I always try and build the boom back up whenever it's not red.

I never actively go for the captive ball, my inaccuracy takes care of that 😅. I find myself going for the sonic radio mystery targets very often compared to any other machines mystery collect, to relight overdrive, 3 X UFO, add-a-ball during multiball, etc. Pounding the overlord to have multiball ready when I start my first van mode ( new Orleans ). First few weeks I was always going for the drops but it's risky and don't shoot for them that often anymore unless there's only 1 left or they're all down. Skillshot I always soft plunge for the multiplier then try to chase the turquoise arrow combo.

Last edited:
Has anyone had the insert on the upper loop sometimes be a different colour when it’s meant to be white for van collect shots? It still goes out when that shot is hit.

Just wondering if it’s a code bug or if I’ve got a hardware issue

Has anyone had the insert on the upper loop sometimes be a different colour when it’s meant to be white for van collect shots? It still goes out when that shot is hit.

Just wondering if it’s a code bug or if I’ve got a hardware issue
I've experienced miss-behaving insert leds on Foo, GOTG and DP and each time it's been down to a dodgy connection at node board 8 or 9. The light boards are daisy chained off 2 connectors on one end of node 8 or 9. Re-seating those connectors usually fixes such issues at least for a little while but I've also had to re-crimp some pins to sort the problem. The connectors are CN2 and CN3 and are the opposite end of the board to the RJ45 socket. If that doesn't fix it move on to the connectors on the light boards themselves. Hope that helps.

Reactions: Jib
I've experienced miss-behaving insert leds on Foo, GOTG and DP and each time it's been down to a dodgy connection at node board 8 or 9. The light boards are daisy chained off 2 connectors on one end of node 8 or 9. Re-seating those connectors usually fixes such issues at least for a little while but I've also had to re-crimp some pins to sort the problem. The connectors are CN2 and CN3 and are the opposite end of the board to the RJ45 socket. If that doesn't fix it move on to the connectors on the light boards themselves. Hope that helps.
Thanks, it does help. I’m having a playing day today but I’ll look into it during the week

Back
Top Bottom