What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flipper Help please

Mrbroadside

Registered
Alias
Adi Evans
Evening all

I have a flipper issue on The Shadow, the upper right flipper. I've done the rebuild kit and coil As it broke so I replaced it all. Now I've replaced everything I've still no flipper at all?? I've checked fuse on main board 7amp one all is ok. I've checked ohms on the coil even though it's new and it's reading ok.
Now...I did try and fix this before ordering new coil ECT and think I may (probably) wired it wrong as when I tested the flipper in test mode it shutdown the machine and restarted. At this point I realised what I done rewired it correctly and ordered new parts. But after replacing it today still nothing. Any ideas guys on whats blown or what I'm missing??

Also if anyone is in the West Yorkshire area or surrounding areas who can to fix this I will obviously pay, or recommend someone who's mobile that fixes machines

Cheers

Having checked the fuses... With the power off, use a multimeter to check for continuity between the fuse on the flipper board ,thru to the coil, when the switch is depressed. That way you can isolate dodgy wiring or something on the flipper board. Have you got a diode installed on the coil? If so, and it wasn’t on there when you bought it, is it the right way round?

You should be able to compare the wiring colour coding with the other flipper coil to make sure it matches.

Last edited:
Hello, Adi,

A game with solid-state 'Fliptronic' flippers has diagnostic tests for the solenoids and switches. Go into the Test routines, and firstly select 'Switch Edges'. The flipper buttons and end-of-stoke switches should show as 'F' switches (with two separate ones for each button)

There's also a 'Flipper Test', where the Cpu operates each winding of each flipper coil in turn. Step through to the upper flipper, with a winding being pulsed (or trying to), pressing the Start button brings up help information such as fuse, connecting pins, wire colours and drive transistor number

Re. diodes - except for Addams Family, Williams/Bally games with Fliptronic don't have to have diodes on the flipper coils. There are 'tie-back' diodes on the Fliptronic II circuit board

Well I've replaced the Fuses, 7amp 240v quick blow, they not same looking with thread inside but rated same voltage so presume should be okay??
I've currently gone from only one flipper not working...to none working can't move the ramps, balls won't load at all... sm

Have you got the coin door open ?
There is an interlock switch that cuts the high power when the door is open. Locate the switch in the cab, near the door hinge and gently pull on the plunger. It should pop out a little. CAUTION : The high voltage will now be active.

Hey all, we're at Adi's to try and help but we're hitting a wall with the fuses. Is there anyone in or around the West Yorkshire area that has any spare 3A 250V SB fuses that they'd be willing to sell and part with ASAP?

It's a big birthday for him tomorrow and will family visiting for that and Christmas around the corner, he'd really like the machine playable and it's not working right now.

No solenoids at all seem to be working, I've checked fuses F101 to F105 which all look correct and haven't blown but fuses F901 to F904 are all the wrong sort - some are showing as 500V but should be 250V etc and some look like FB rather than SB (are they FB if they have a thin wire inside) uploading some pics separately now

Last edited:
Yeah not of them seem to be working. The top right flipper arm had snapped off so did a rebuild on that but the coil went on the wrong way so when matching up to a photo taken before hand, the wires were reversed and it stopped working.

@Mrbroadside has since done a full proper flipper rebuild with new coil etc and it all feels fine to move manually but since everything else isn't working now. Lamps and start button are fine, and the battlefield paddle thing moves when the machine first turns on but no balls releasing, no flippers, not possible to change the dagger ramp lanes etc. Did a solenoid test but nothing seems to be working

Ignore the voltage ratings on the fuses. Its irrelevant. The fuse value will be etched on the end cap. A fast blow fuse will have an F before the rating. A slow blow usually a T or MDL. EG T3A

That's the fuse it kept blowing...I don't have a slow blow left...I've a 7amp in it but it's not a slow blow.

The solenoid fuse needs to be 7a slow blow. A normal fuse won’t last. If you’ve damaged the fliptronics board it may blow due to that. The fuse f112 supplies voltage to the power board for the solenoids but it also fuses the supply to the fliptronics board. If you pull the connector directly above the fuses you’ll Isolate the supply to the fliptronics. Replace the fuse. If it doesn’t blow then the power board is ok and the solenoids will work. If you reconnect that power connector and it blows then you have a bad fliptronics board which will need repair.

Hey all, we're at Adi's to try and help but we're hitting a wall with the fuses. Is there anyone in or around the West Yorkshire area that has any spare 3A 250V SB fuses that they'd be willing to sell and part with ASAP?

It's a big birthday for him tomorrow and will family visiting for that and Christmas around the corner, he'd really like the machine playable and it's not working right now.

No solenoids at all seem to be working, I've checked fuses F101 to F105 which all look correct and haven't blown but fuses F901 to F904 are all the wrong sort - some are showing as 500V but should be 250V etc and some look like FB rather than SB (are they FB if they have a thin wire inside) uploading some pics separately now
I have fuses. I am in Leeds but I will be out most of tomorrow. If you wanted to collect some tonight or first thing tomorrow you are welcome to.

I have fuses. I am in Leeds but I will be out most of tomorrow. If you wanted to collect some tonight or first thing tomorrow you are welcome to.
Thanks! Do you happen to have 7A 250V short blow ones? Sounds like that's the problem fuse, I know Adi tried some shops earlier but couldn't quite get the exact ones and against the clock for ordering online now. Thanks so much to everyone for their help so far.

Thanks! Do you happen to have 7A 250V short blow ones? Sounds like that's the problem fuse, I know Adi tried some shops earlier but couldn't quite get the exact ones and against the clock for ordering online now. Thanks so much to everyone for their help so far.
I have 7A standard. Not fast blow but will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom