What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite Multiball modes ?

Sgt GrizZ

Registered
Ex PinballInfo Admin . MIA Brighton Hove beach
Alias
Ive
Everyone loves some multiball action ... but some multiball modes are def more fun or interesting than others. Anyone got a current fave ?

I've been battering The Rolling Stones recently and love 'Rock Star' multiball

Once you have qualified and started Rock Star multiball first task is to nail the 3 Orange 'Star' standup targets for Rock Star Jackpots. See below.

During this Mick will position himself stationary somewhere in front of the Rock Star / Keith target .......now this isn't just because he is jealous of Keith being cooler and doesn't want you looking at him ...... it's because if you can hit the Rock Star / Keith target it will ADD A BALL into play, up to a max of 4 balls :D If you batter Mick you can nudge him out of the way.

rock star 1.1.JPG

Now once you have collected the 3 regular Jackpots, the 6 Red Arrowed shots are lit for Double Rock Star Jackpots. Each can be collected once. And you get insane 'Rock Star' callouts :cool: Mick prances like a t*t during this bit.

rock star 2.JPG

Once you have nailed all 6 Double Rock Star Jackpots, the 'Rock Star / Keith' target flashes like crazy as its lit for Super Rock Star Jackpot shot. To make it tricky though Mick does a little shimmy dance back in forth in front of it ....like the prima donna he is !

Rock star 3.JPG

If you nail the Super Jackpot then the sequence starts over with increased points. Though I don't think you can Add A Ball 2nd time thru ?? I could be wrong on that, I cant remember now.

It's a great multiball mode. Even better points wise if you have any of the shot multipliers (the green drums) qualified on any shots, or if you have something like Licks mode stacked with it.

i love shot multipliers. i discovered them when i was researching the rules on BTDK, i think they may have started back on Spiderman but they didn't bother to put any lights on the playfield so hard to track. have since found them on Avatar and now here.

nice write up Grizz. i will give it some thought and contribute to this thread in a day ot two

i love shot multipliers. i discovered them when i was researching the rules on BTDK, i think they may have started back on Spiderman but they didn't bother to put any lights on the playfield so hard to track. have since found them on Avatar and now here.

nice write up Grizz. i will give it some thought and contribute to this thread in a day ot two

Yeah multipliers are ace, add another level of strategy in. Another thing to bear in mind during this multiball is that when you Add a Ball that also activates the ball save for a short time, so timing can be critical to maximise the safe period ie dont add 2 balls in quick succession.

I always like wwfrr with its add a ball. Every 30 seconds I think it is, it throws in another ball in just like the royal rumble itself. Man I miss that game.

Personal highlights:

Powerball mania - TZ
Two Towers - LOTR
Hypnobeam - RFM
Blood Bath stacked with any other multiball - TWD
Battle Royale - SM
Total Annhialation - AFM

The multiball in Fathom is pretty awesome :) You lock a ball in both saucers and that raises the in line drop targets in front of each saucer. The ideal is then to knock down 2 of the 3 drops in front of one saucer, hit the right stand up target to light the spinner and then knock down the third to start a 2 ball multi ball and 2x playfield. You then hammer the doubled lit spinner for as much as possible whilst also getting down 2 of the 3 drops in front of the other saucer. Then when you drain back to single ball play you're just one shot away from starting another 2 ball multi ball. If you can keep this rolling then massive scores can be had :thumbs:

The other strategy is to light the spinner and knock down all of the drops in front of both saucers for a 3 ball mutlball and 3x playfield but keeping 3 balls alive for very long is really hard :)

Anything where the balls lock visibly on the playfield. BoP immediately comes to mind or a modded JD. Love sttng's multiball too - hitting the borg ship for a super jackpot is pretty immense.

I liked the 'Demolition Time' mode on Demo Man (after completing the Crane awards). Simple - hitting all the yellow targets adds another ball and increases the shot value, creating the dual aims of staying in multi-ball play and increasing/collecting the dividend.

Conversely, what I found least enjoyable was the full 5-ball routine on Strange Science. I recall wondering if there was time to get a drink while it went on (and on) about "5 Balls in Atom Smasher", but remember nothing about the objectives or tactics.

And continuing on the sub-topic of starting multi-ball, does the musical chicken on Class of 1812 get 'stale'?

Yeah, moving on to best multiball starts/ locks. It's Gotta be a physical lock for me. Non of this virtual rubbish a la MM, RFM etc..

Congo has a great multiball lock and start sequence with the volcano. Also liked the JM matrix locks. Very cool. Depending where you lock them depends which ramp they spew in to.

Feeling left out :(

PARAGON and GOLD BALL are both single ball games, and although VECTOR has multiball it's the simplest multiball ever: lock 3 balls in the ENERGY CONTAINMENT UNIT (3 saucers). On locking the 3rd ball they all get released to start multiball. I don't think there's anything special to do from this point. Try not to drain, get bigger score.

The MB start on F14 is still quite cool. Centaur is still my favourite game as its design allows the balls to keep coming. Even on Apollo 13 you get left with one ball after around 30 seconds.

Lost in the Zone had a pretty cool start-up. Also like Strobe Multi-Ball when the lights are off and the games has mirror blades fitted, but there's naff all to really do once you're in it (aside from epilepsy). Another vote for Battle Royale too.

BS Dracula must be one of the best with the stacking feature and all three mulltiballs are belters.

On Sopranos its possible to stack Bing multiball with Stugotts multiball and have a mode and frenzy running at the and time which is quite cool.

Oh and if the fish is lit, he gives you an add a ball off the saucer.

Whilst all that's going on your can complete the safe for double values on safe/ramps/pops/meadowlands depending how far along the ranks you are.

Yeah, moving on to best multiball starts/ locks. It's Gotta be a physical lock for me. Non of this virtual rubbish a la MM, RFM etc..

Congo has a great multiball lock and start sequence with the volcano. Also liked the JM matrix locks. Very cool. Depending where you lock them depends which ramp they spew in to.

I thought Medieval Madness does have a physical lock - a tunnel entering the castle area.

On Johnny Moronic the placement of the locked balls on that grid also selects which areas of the playfield reward the most during multiball. I think there's also something to be gained by placing them in a straight line.

I may be wrong Jay. I thought the ball was fed straight back to the trough or ejected back out as opposed to being physically locked in the castle.

Feeling left out :(

PARAGON and GOLD BALL are both single ball games, and although VECTOR has multiball it's the simplest multiball ever: lock 3 balls in the ENERGY CONTAINMENT UNIT (3 saucers). On locking the 3rd ball they all get released to start multiball. I don't think there's anything special to do from this point. Try not to drain, get bigger score.

Perhaps the most impressive m/ball start sequence among the early games is Flight 2000, but then the 'Apollo Lane' apparatus takes up enough space that you'd expect a good show. AFAIR, neither of the Special awards (outlanes or static target in tunnel between d/targets '3' & '4') can be obtained without achieving a 'Blast Off'.

MM's ball locks are all virtual locks.

I reckon that the best multiballs are on LOTR, especially The Fellowship multi ball.

If you complete it, Gandalf roars "YOU SHALL NOT PASS" !!!

I think the castle in MM just has a single kickout, balls arent stored there except when you start multiball the first ball is kicked out from there into the left orbit, the other balls are launched from the trough.

Getting the timing right on WH20 to get 5x Playfield just before starting multiball. Then getting all three balls straight up the jackpot shot. BIG points and immensely satisfying.

re above. one of the biggest fluff ups in pinball I ever did was locking the 3rd ball straight after lighting five times the board then missing the insanity falls ramp shop. oh the shame

Getting the lock on MM is still great when the ball goes through the wall.

Animation on AFM at the start of multiball is great

TAF multiball rocks

Any game that allows you to stack multiballs is also onto a winner for me. Godzilla has 5(?) that you can stack

Kiss Army mini wizard multiball 4 balls in play, shoot a shot (which then goes out until Super JP collect), then Demon and repeat until only Demon is left for Super Jackpot which is a massive payoff (circa 50m) it's a really well thought out multiball

Back
Top Bottom