What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F I V E days of Pinball, including the UK Open

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
The Flippin Frenzy rules as per @Wayne J for the event last summer hosted by @DRD were as follows

First round
Players will be randomly allocated either as
Player 1,
Player 2, or
Queue.

Players play their head to head match on the machine allocated.

After the match player 1 becomes Player 2
Player 2 joins the back of the queue
Player at front of queue becomes Player 1 on next available machine
This is the format which works best in my opinion. It's less confusing for everyone and has only 3 rules:
when you leave the queue you will become player 1 for the next game
when you finish your game as player 1 you will be player 2 on the same machine for the next game
when you finish your game as player 2 you will then join the back of the queue.

It also has the benefit of not being able to start the next game until the player has joined from the queue (as they are player 1). Stopping the remaining player from starting to play as soon as the previous game has ended (possibly open to abuse and restarting if they drain straight away).

I'd also recommend:
Setting the queue size to at least 4 people to start with (it can always be reduced by 2 by adding another machine after the break when people are familiar with the format).​
If the player at the front of the queue isn't ready/present when it is their turn to play, their card is moved to the back of the queue - this will help keep the comp moving and mean you don't have to go chasing players (another reason to have at least 4 players in the queue).​
Having a break of half an hour to reorder the players and allow everyone a quick breather. (Those who have played the least games become player 1 after the break, those with the most games start in the queue after the break)​

The reordering is also essential to break a possible loop of playing the same players on the same games, which has happened in all 3 of these types of comps I've ran/played in.

It's a fun format which maxes out TGP quickly, and I'm sure everyone will pick up the rules very quickly.

A small note: IFPA have changed the calculations of TGP calculations for this format. Most comps are calculated on the 'number of meaningful games played by the winner'. This is now calculated by the average number of games played by everyone. (Which shouldn't differ by more than a couple of games if no one drops out midway through the comp)

@Wayne J very useful! Thanks for sharing. I agree with a half hour break mid way as it can get exhausting playing pinball non stop for an extended period of time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The break is mainly to reorder the players, playing nonstop for an hour or 2 is absolutely nothing!

Also agree there too! I can also play for long periods too! But I’m sure you know one has to look after and be aware of their own well being too!!

Are there plans for additional machines to be setup? There are only 10 machines at Chief according to their website. So with 40 players the queue will be 20 people. That's a too big of a queue for the format to work properly.

People could be waiting for an hour + between games. The person at the back of the queue to start with will be waiting a particularly long time for their first game.

Hi - 10 games divided by 40 people = 4 players to a machine so which means it’s 2 people on and 2 people waiting at any one time. Have I got this correct?

nope. that not how the format works.

first 20 would be playing (10 x 2 player games) other 20 in the queue.

After the 1st game finishes, player 2 joins the back of the queue and the person at the front of the queue joins the game that player 2 came from.

With good players on modern machines. Each game will last half hour + easily, so there will be a lot more waiting in the queue than you normally get at flip frenzy.

Wayne recommended a 4 player queue, but that would need a further 8 machines to be set up. I've not been to Chief, so don't know if there is space to do that or if there are even any plans for any other machines at all?

The games will need to be adjusted in my view. Chief has beautiful games but they are set to play long so, make it tilt Papa style, jack the legs up, apply wax, pull the rubbers out, set the rules to hard... otherwise you'll need to bring a good book :D

The queuing though won't be that different to a 4 player matchplay setup just will be in different bursts.

I will be bringing additional games to chief for the event. That said, there will be a queue of 12 players. The plan is to set the games up very tough to keep the queue moving. @Wayne J thanks for the advice, this will be my first flip frenzy (although i may do a test event first) so any harsh lessons that can be avoided would be great!

Have done just the single flip frenzy but the beauty of it was having a short wait between games. The machines were setup tough to keep times down and I don’t think anyone had to wait more than 10 minutes at the most. A really fun format if done right

I will be bringing additional games to chief for the event. That said, there will be a queue of 12 players. The plan is to set the games up very tough to keep the queue moving. @Wayne J thanks for the advice, this will be my first flip frenzy (although i may do a test event first) so any harsh lessons that can be avoided would be great!
How tough is very tough? Will balls move at lightning speed? Will the difficulty level be the same as uk regional league or at PAPA standard which I think is the hardest setting?

How tough is very tough? Will balls move at lightning speed? Will the difficulty level be the same as uk regional league or at PAPA standard which I think is the hardest setting?
Extremely tough and fast!
Yes, definitely harder than regular league and as near to PAPA difficulty as possible.
No ball saves, no outlane rubbers, very tight tilts etc

As an example at the Northern flip frenzy, the Spiderman there had flightning flippers, no center post, widest outlanes possible and hard software settings. Play it well and it was still possible to put in a good score but you obviously had to work for it and not miss your shots. Put good players on Spiderman and it can go on a long, long time.

Extremely tough and fast!
Yes, definitely harder than regular league and as near to PAPA difficulty as possible.
No ball saves, no outlane rubbers, very tight tilts etc

Thanks this is useful!

See you on Sunday?

Played taxi yesterday and F14 classics those two are tough games!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No still places

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just signed up :) - 10:00 on the Saturday - guessing I will be part of Tournament 5 too LOL

High level view of our double elimination bracket... hope you like pinball!

Master UK Open Double Elim.jpg

Crikey, is this for the main or classics? If it's for the main I'm figuring that it's best of three for each round with 14 rounds...??? :eek: minimum 28 games to be played on Sunday...???

Crikey, is this for the main or classics? If it's for the main I'm figuring that it's best of three for each round with 14 rounds...??? :eek: minimum 28 games to be played on Sunday...???

the main and hell yes :D but be in the top qualifiers and your day _starts_ at 16:00

Be the bottom qualifier and your day starts at 09:00 and you have to bring me a bacon roll.

Neil.

Back
Top Bottom