What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F I V E days of Pinball, including the UK Open

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
Nope, sorry. But book early and the hotels are cheap.

@Neil McRae totally understand that but there is no law against sharing suggestions or ideas. The more classic games you have in the tournament the better! Why limit the games? The only limit you is the total number of classic games at the club!

Ben, thanks but we know how to run an event.

Neil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We will shortly be sending out the full time table to all those who registered.

I’m sure the coffee shop will be open selling what they usually sell but food is limited.

Neil.

We will shortly be sending out the full time table to all those who registered.

I’m sure the coffee shop will be open selling what they usually sell but food is limited.

Neil.

Thanks @Neil McRae does one have to turn up at 6pm? Or can we turn up from say 7pm to allow time to get something to eat?

I’ll also need a similar break in between playing the qualifying rounds for the classics on the Saturday and my 6pm slot for the open!

I also need to be able to start winning games against people otherwise I’ll be at risk being stuck on the same game at chief coffee until I record a win! Good practice for the open I guess!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wednesday night all players must be signed in by 19:00, the shop opens at 08:00am! Recommend you are there by 18:30 latest.

Neil.

yup, flip frenzy format... matt will explain fully on the day.

@Neil McRae, Has ben got that right? Loser stays on the machine until they win, they they join the queue again?

Seems like it...... unless @Matt Vince or @Neil McRae tells us any different. TBH that puts me off flip frenzy as want to play as many games on different machines throughout the evening. The risk of getting stuck on one game due to not winning a game.

Any guidance would be helpful thanks

cool. Slightly different to flip frenzy I've played before.

Previously Player 2 becomes Player 1, Player 1 joins queue. irrespective of the result.

New player becomes player 2 and is on there for two games (one as player 2, then one as player 1 - against a new player from the queue) before joining the queue again.

yup, flip frenzy format... matt will explain fully on the day.

Just seen this - ok then..... perhaps there should be a limit imposed on the number of times one can clock a loss in succession?

I’m keen to hear more on the night.

yeah I think Matt may run the format you mention Dan given the numbers...

Neil.

Sounds much better which means the losing player is on for no more than two games then moves to the next machine

Welcome to the World Famous UK Open - If you are registered for this - it’s the best pin-balling decision you made all year! There is no bigger IFPA Ranking event in the UK - this is the real deal. Hosted at the UK biggest and best Pinball venue the world famous Flip Out London.

This is a family event thus no swearing will be tolerated.
No machine abuse will be tolerated.
Everyone is expected to have showered in the morning of each day of the open.

UK Open Schedule:

Please pay attention to the check in times - if you do not check-in on time you are disqualified - nobody can check you in but you! We will be actively managing the qualification process to ensure we get through the games in a timely manner! Qualification is head to head.

Friday:
Doors 18:00
Check in Game test / Practise 18:30
TD Intro: 19:00
Qualification Group 1 19:00
Qualification for Group 1 closes 23:30
Classics - Best Game Format
Classics Qualification Session 1 Starts 18:30
Classics Qualification closes 23:30

Saturday
Doors 08:30
Classics - Best Game Format
Game test / practise 9:00
Classics Qualification Starts 9:30
Classics Qualification session 2 ends at 13:30
Volunteers special qualification time starts 13:30
Classics qualification session 3 starts at 14:30
Classics Qualification Ends 22:30

Saturday Open
Check in / Game Test / Practise 09:30
TD Intro 10:00
Qualification for group 2 starts 10:00
Qualification for group 2 ends 13:30

Check in 13:30
TD Intro 14:00
Qualification for group 3 starts 14:00
Qualification for group 3 ends 17:30

Check in 17:30
TD Intro 18:00
Qualification for group 4 starts 18:00
Qualification for group 4 ends 21:30

Sunday
Classics finals check in / Game test / Practise
Classics finals 09:00

Open Finals

The opens final consists of a double elimination bracket - there is no check in time but there will be an estimated game time, if you are not present at this time you will automatically forfeit your place, we will be tightly managing this, yes folks tightly! game times will be advertised on Saturday post qualifying and you should aim to be ready 30 minutes ahead of your final!

Everybody qualifies for the finals and qualification sets your bye. Qualify well and get some extra sleep. Qualify badly and your up with the crows! Each round is a head to head best of three games.
Winners proceed and losers are moved to the elimination bracket. It is possible to win the UK open via the elimination bracket. (We are using Chicago Pinball Expo Flipout format). Between rounds there will be no play permitted on competition games but there will be a free play area.

Doors 8:00
Game test / Practise 08:30
Finals begin 09:00
Finals end (approximately 22:00)

We will be live streaming the event.

There will also be a Sunday Best score tournament aimed at those eliminated early in the day.

Machine list will be finalised closer to to the event.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers @Neil McRae for all this detailed information I have a couple of questions/observations.

What is defined as a bad qualifying for the UK open and classics? Will this work how the TIMSAT tournament ran where the “losers” play off each other in a separate division.

For the classics qualifying rounds how will the crowds be managed? Remember a good 60 of us have signed up for this.

What tips can people share please do give those of us who are not top players every chance of qualification. Yes practise makes perfect and understanding the rules help too I’ve heard all that. It would be useful to know how the tournament games will be set up. The list should be kept secret until qualification starts to allow for fair play. If it is deemed useful to know the games in advance so be it.

Machine abuse is mentioned. Dare I add forcibly dragging a machine around to keep the ball in play! The correct method is gently nudging the machine don’t drag it!

If I think of anything else will let you know

@Benleigh250... Could you send all you comments and observations privately to the needed person so its stops clogging up the thread and other threads...

Then if the organisers can implement any suggestions they can update their posts

This will avoid people missing important info without having to trawl through!

Cheers

Last edited:
Cheers @Neil McRae for all this detailed information I have a couple of questions/observations.

What is defined as a bad qualifying for the UK open and classics? Will this work how the TIMSAT tournament ran where the “losers” play off each other in a separate division.

For the classics qualifying rounds how will the crowds be managed? Remember a good 60 of us have signed up for this.

What tips can people share please do give those of us who are not top players every chance of qualification. Yes practise makes perfect and understanding the rules help too I’ve heard all that. It would be useful to know how the tournament games will be set up. The list should be kept secret until qualification starts to allow for fair play. If it is deemed useful to know the games in advance so be it.

Machine abuse is mentioned. Dare I add forcibly dragging a machine around to keep the ball in play! The correct method is gently nudging the machine don’t drag it!

If I think of anything else will let you know

Best advice I can give you.

Chill and enjoy the uncertainty of it all, and do the best you can:cool:

That's it!

Looks like it is going to be a superb tournament :)

If anyone can donate to Flip Out club that would be great as we think we may need to hire some full time staff to deal with Ben's questions.

Ha ha very funny! To be fair I think these are valid questions that others would be interested in knowing the answers too!

I have every faith in @Neil McRae that everything will run smoothly and it will be a great event!

So is there practice available for the 14:00 session on Saturday - the only time listed for practice is 09:30?

No the only time for practise is first thing in the morning - and its really not a practise session, more of a machine testing session!

Cheers,
Neil

The Flip Frenzy AFAIK will be the same as the previous ones at David Dodds' and Flip Out. We play the drawn game twice then rejoin the queue after which we draw another random game.

Not sure where this idea came from that we will play on one machine over and over.

Not sure where this idea came from that we will play on one machine over and over.
It was written in the published rules that the loser stays on the machine and the winner goes back to the queue, which is a bit different to the flip frenzy we have played before.

Ben was concerned that if he never won a game he would stay on there all day.

The Flippin Frenzy rules as per @Wayne J for the event last summer hosted by @DRD were as follows

First round
Players will be randomly allocated either as
Player 1,
Player 2, or
Queue.

Players play their head to head match on the machine allocated.

After the match player 1 becomes Player 2
Player 2 joins the back of the queue
Player at front of queue becomes Player 1 on next available machine

Back
Top Bottom