What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress F-14 Tomcat shop log

Few more pics came in today. Backbox decals looking good so far...

image2 (Small).jpeg

image (Small).jpeg

Attachments

• image9 (Small).jpeg
    image9 (Small).jpeg
    42.8 KB · Views: 2
  • image10 (Small).jpeg
    image10 (Small).jpeg
    19.3 KB · Views: 2
Let's try it :)

You click on Buy It Now, and we'll see if I get any commission (or maybe my F14 cab will arrive on your doorstep in the Manny-Van :p)

Cool though. Nice before/after pics if anyone is looking for the "bling thing"

Anyone know what Manny uses to stop the transformer from rusting after it's been polished to a mirror shine? I did mine like that but 3 months later is has a film of actual rust (other parts such as the stainless steel brackets are still as shiny as the day I polished them).

Is it just a simple case of spraying with auto clear?

I used a company called Performance Powdercoating in Canterbury. They really used my parts as a learning experience (they learned that they don't want to do candy work ever again), so the price I paid isn't really a good indication. If you're just looking at 4 legs, in a "standard" colour (so not candy or metallic), I reckon you'd be looking at £60 or so, but that's just a guess....

I contacted 3 local powder coating companies today asking for a quote to shot blast and gloss black powder coat 8 pinball legs (2 sets for my Bally Paragon and Vector tables).

I've had one reply so far from aurorapowdercoating.co.uk who said they'd do it for £40! Seems very reasonable to me. £5 a leg.

Anyone know what Manny uses to stop the transformer from rusting after it's been polished to a mirror shine? I did mine like that but 3 months later is has a film of actual rust (other parts such as the stainless steel brackets are still as shiny as the day I polished them).

Is it just a simple case of spraying with auto clear?
No idea, but I'll ask him when I go and collect it.

Looking nice. It's going to be ready to collect just after we go away for Easter, so I have to wait a couple of weeks before I can collect :(

The coin door was just for the photo, I've got the original 3 slot door at home waiting for it (pics earlier in this thread somewhere).. The blue in the custom cab decals is a replacement for the yellow in the standard design. The blue is a colour match for the blue on all the playfield plastics so should tie in nicely once the playfield is back in...

image30 (Small).jpeg

image31 (Small).jpeg

Looking nice. It's going to be ready to collect just after we go away for Easter, so I have to wait a couple of weeks before I can collect :(

The coin door was just for the photo, I've got the original 3 slot door at home waiting for it (pics earlier in this thread somewhere).. The blue in the custom cab decals is a replacement for the yellow in the standard design. The blue is a colour match for the blue on all the playfield plastics so should tie in nicely once the playfield is back in...

View attachment 6496

View attachment 6497
Looks absolutely gorgeous, can,t wait to see it. Finished

The backbox lightboard was tatty, the GI lighting "wiring" was all blue/green corroded. For an extra £60 the board has been repainted, metalwork polished and all the wiring replaced with new and resoldered/stapled. Looks like new :)

image60 (Small).jpeg

image61 (Small).jpeg

Look good, shame it won't be seen.
Yeah, I know. Same goes for everything inside the cab too, but I'll know it's been sorted. Given how the rest of the cab looks now, having crusty blue/green corrosion on the light board would have been a shame.

It's worth doing, especially repainting it white, which helps to reflect/diffuse/spread the GI lighting behind the backglass. The 35-year old lightboard in my Paragon was more a dull matt grey than white! And for me it's a good opportunity to clean and fix the notoriously dodgy Bally lamp holders too.

Just heard from Manny that it's actually a new lightboard he made using the old as a template, as the original wasn't worth sorting out. Nice :)

Just heard from Manny that it's actually a new lightboard he made using the old as a template, as the original wasn't worth sorting out. Nice :)
Wow! Super nice! I thought it looked really good. I did wonder because it looks as though it made from MDF and the edges are cut so clean and smooth. My lightboard looks like it was hacked it out a knackered sheet of plywood with a blunt axe and the holes punched out with a shotgun!

Would you please stop posting nice looking interior pics of the pinball cab?

It's really making my OCD play up and I can feel a project coming on with my R&B. As the nice weather approaches i'm really tempted to strip it down and give it a good clean out inside. It needs a new ground braid doing anyway so I might as well go the whole hog eh? ;)

Looks stunning this one. Really nice to see Pins in such great shape.

So, a round trip to Worthing and now my baby is home again! I need to tidy my room up, since taking pictures without capturing the bomb site around it is hard. Here's one though, although it hasn't come out very well. The cab looks just amazing, I don't think I'll ever have another machine that's going to be a "keeper" like this one (especially as I can only get 3 machines in with a squeeze), but if I do I'll want it to look like this!
DSCN4221 crop.jpg

Once the room gets a tidy up over the next few days I'll do some more pictures. Then that'll be it for a while until the new playfields come out, soon(ish) I think.

-Mark

Looks lovely!

However, I'd put something under the legs to protect the tiles! It'll probably be reet, but a cracked tile would be a mare to fix.

Looks like tiles, but it's laminate!
I've got some wooden pinfeet jobbies from Manny to put on too, with felt underneath.

Back
Top Bottom