What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Energy prices - gone nuts.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
Okay so SMETS 2 installed and the small LCD that comes with it.

Got some qs if yo will indulge me please :)

So i am guessing i cannot use a third party app to talk direct to the meter / IHD LCD to tell me units used, i have to rely ion the app that the provider gives me or the LCD screen?
Also if it knows my cost it must be talking to the cloud at some point either getting costs and use from the cloud, or applying my tariffs to the measurements from the local unit - anyone know which?
LCD has no option to go onto my wireless network so talks direct to the meter - was there ever an option or did i misunderstand?
What do they use to talk wirelessly between meter and Display, i see no SSID - I could do some snooping but don't have time right now.
Any sites of significant info i should go see?

Cheers

JB

Just found this : https://www.smartme.co.uk/smets-2.h...ion is more advanced,first rolled out in 2018.

Last edited:
Got a date for batteries to be installed, 29th March, great timing before solar generation gets up

Will be interesting to see if 19kWh is enough of storage

And Loop were doing a bank check that was getting them a lot of stick as people thought it was a scam. I did my due diligence and felt fine with doing it, if they had charged me £5 I would have paid, this is the same but £5 cheaper.

Mine has an option in the settings menu to join to a WiFi network, could be thats not an option for yours.

I think some IHDs you can add 3party apps to to get details.

I used to have mine linked to Samsung smart things to see from my phone but it stopped working a while ago, but I linked it when it was with bulb and have moved twice since then.

Im also using the Equiwatt app to get paid for saving energy during events and for that I had to link my smart meter to it but doesnt show real time data, it only updates once a day so I can see what Ive used on previous days.

For the price per unit I think that gets updated over the air from your supplier, but I know mine hasnt updated for a while since changing supplier even thought they are taking readings.

The connection between the Meter and IHD is done on the Zigbee network, but apparently it uses a custom encryption so you cant snoop it, or access data on it using a zigbee access point.

Got a date for batteries to be installed, 29th March, great timing before solar generation gets up

Will be interesting to see if 19kWh is enough of storage
19kw is a crazy amount of storage, should be more then enough (Although I don't know what your usage avg usage is)
our 11.6k storage is now more then enough for us on a evening and works really well.

Okay so SMETS 2 installed and the small LCD that comes with it.

Got some qs if yo will indulge me please :)

So i am guessing i cannot use a third party app to talk direct to the meter / IHD LCD to tell me units used, i have to rely ion the app that the provider gives me or the LCD screen?
Also if it knows my cost it must be talking to the cloud at some point either getting costs and use from the cloud, or applying my tariffs to the measurements from the local unit - anyone know which?
LCD has no option to go onto my wireless network so talks direct to the meter - was there ever an option or did i misunderstand?
What do they use to talk wirelessly between meter and Display, i see no SSID - I could do some snooping but don't have time right now.
Any sites of significant info i should go see?

Cheers

JB

Just found this : https://www.smartme.co.uk/smets-2.html#:~:text=There are two main types,2018, known as SMETS 2.&text=This specification is more advanced,first rolled out in 2018.
Mine came with this monitor

It has the option to connect to the cloud so you can see the data via an app (again with 10sec refresh) also the app stores all the data so can plot graphs and gives you weekly/monthly reports and stuff.

19kw is a crazy amount of storage, should be more then enough (Although I don't know what your usage avg usage is)
our 11.6k storage is now more then enough for us on a evening and works really well.

We have reduced our usage recently down to approx 14,000Kwh annually from about 20K

Down from 54Kw a day to around 38Kw, hopefully storing the solar and charging will bring bills down!

I'm still looking for a solar/battery system, I was quite drawn by the Tesla tariff, seems this is drawing to an end, from the Octopus website...

Screenshot (8).png

@Calimori I believe you're on this tariff? Are you aware of what's coming next, when clicking on the find out more 'here' button, it just offers you to register your interest, no other information.

Chris.

Beer fridges and Blade coolers :) ?

Fairly big house, havent been able to track totally as we have 6 consumer boards

British Gas offering Electric Car tariff, might consider to charge the batteries

BG EC.JPG

My Smart meter has been in for a few days now. I have coms with the meter, But i only get demand, use, cost etc some times. Most of the time it states waiting for cost or waiting for data with blank entries...

Is this normal for 'initial install'? If so how long did it go on for with you?

Cheers

JB.

My Smart meter has been in for a few days now. I have coms with the meter, But i only get demand, use, cost etc some times. Most of the time it states waiting for cost or waiting for data with blank entries...

Cheers

JB.
Try placing monitor closer to the meter box.

Yea i tried that. Made no difference. Besides if i take it out of range i get a differnt error.
I did have similar thing with my gas readings took a few days for it to show the readings. Maybe give it couple days if still no luck contact installer :)

Cheers

JB.
Had my 'smart' meter and IHD for a couple of years and the IHD has never been able to connect to the meter. I'm still currently with Bulb and did try a few times to get the problem resolved but may just as well have had a conversation with one of the trees in the garden....😱

Alternative Fuel Payment.
For those of us who are only able to heat our homes with dried cow dung we should be getting a £200 payment

Back
Top Bottom