What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Energy prices - gone nuts.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
Who of my fellow solar nerds are looking forward to the upcoming heat wave :D

The crazy things is they are actually supposed to be less efficient when they get hot.

There is someone on youtube showing some water cooled panels where they were going to use the heated water to heat their pool water, while also making their panels more efficient.

The crazy things is they are actually supposed to be less efficient when they get hot.

There is someone on youtube showing some water cooled panels where they were going to use the heated water to heat their pool water, while also making their panels more efficient.
Yup I see higher peaks in partially cloudy days due to the cloud reflection. But can’t beat a bit of solid sun :D

Finally got export setup, I thought it was a fixed 7.5p kw but it’s dynamic seams to jump between 18p to 35p depending on time of day (pay more for peak hours etc..)

03D85617-56D0-437F-A991-7193564E5C88.jpeg

I heard about this Octopus tariff, Outgoing Octopus Agile.
It sounds like a good way to motivate people generate. Why should you buy it at a far lower price than you can sell it for.

I heard about this Octopus tariff, Outgoing Octopus Agile.
It sounds like a good way to motivate people generate. Why should you buy it at a far lower price than you can sell it for.
This is what I am now on

We need to look at the long term, like yearly. Build up your saving during the good months and spend it in the winter.
It does pretty well in cloudy days as well so even in winter I think it will cover my background load, but won’t be expecting it to cover a roast dinner or heat my hot water hehe. Be interesting if it gets a chance to charge the battery though :)

Kept some of my power today for aircon!!! Lol

Attachments

• 7FDE5472-D672-4849-8D8C-062161BAAC1B.jpeg
    7FDE5472-D672-4849-8D8C-062161BAAC1B.jpeg
    50.6 KB · Views: 12
You appear to still be in the stage where you obsess over graphs ;).
How much did you generate in this heat?

You appear to still be in the stage where you obsess over graphs ;).
How much did you generate in this heat?
Mine did 18Kw yesterday

They've been up 10 years so still doing pretty good. Roof is SW facing so misses out a bit on maximum generation.

I did have to spend the whole of last Sunday afternoon cleaning off the lichen / bird 5hit / dust which had accumulated and I think that has helped

Battery storage now being installed in late August, been a long wait but at least it's happening

What do they do on a good spring day?
I have a 20% drop on the max output due to the intense heat. Yesterday was perfect for sun but the heat meant I got 20kW which is lower than my bets in May which was 22kW.

These are from the inverter. The upstream is 5% lower. So 19kW on the Tesla Gateway which is accurate to the meter.

Finally had my tariff adjusted for Octopus. It’s just gone up by £1800 a year. Not unexpected but still going to take a bit of an adjustment to get used to.

Glad I managed to fix for a year at about 34% increase on unit rate with same standing charge, only use about 0.2KWh average per day at the moment due to solar and battery so figured it was worth the risk of paying a couple of extra quid before October to potentially save a lot over winter. Also no exit fee so if the price went down (doubt it) I can get out of it easily.

I was watching something with Martin Lewis speculating that the whole system is likely to go tits up if people start finding it socially acceptable to simply not pay. Similar to how they never managed to get X percentage of the population to pay the poll tax arrears.

His line was pretty much that people aren’t going to be cut off even if they don’t pay so somewhere along the line there has to be a fudged solution.

How anyone on a fixed income is going to find 2k or so more to pay their bills is the stuff of nightmares. Combine this with predicted interest rate rises and continued food/fuel inflation and there will be a whole lot of pain. Kind of glad I’m not younger with a mortgage.

Scaffolders come tomorrow Solar guys on thursday and I join the revolution.
Looking forward to my 5.6kw Panels and 11.2kw battery with zappy to charge car via solar panels only. My endeavour is to put zero into the grid diverting everything to daytime use with Bertha and the house Battery.
Roll on my 1st weekend of use.

Looking forward to my 5.6kw Panels and 11.2kw battery with zappy to charge car via solar panels only. My endeavour is to put zero into the grid diverting everything to daytime use with Bertha and the house Battery.
Wow sounds like a decent sized system there :)

Will be interested to hear how this pans out and what you expect the payback time to be.

Will be interested to hear how this pans out and what you expect the payback time to be.
I went into this with my eyes wide open after chatting to my mate Simon at length who had a 4kw/4kw system fitted in 2019 for around 10k hence me choosing the very same company for mine.
Both he and the wife are out all day and due to the battery being 4kw it fills fairly quick then everything else harvested spills onto the grid at about 12p per KW now and he has sent 1000’s of KW to the grid over 3 yrs.
When he first had them fitted he was getting around 40p per KW but due to energy company’s folding and being swallowed up by the bigger fish that figure is around 7p for new installations.
This it the reason to try and use everything generated to get the most out of them, so for those out at work all day it may not be the best use of your money.
So back to your question Alan, will I get payback?
Maybe! But I love the idea of trying to go off grid and at 61 if I outlive my battery’s I don’t care 😂
If I don’t god forbid at least it helps Wend and Gabe with there finances a little and I’ll nickname my Two battery’s Colin and David so my love of tech lives on after me 😂
Simon intends to retire in 2yrs but that maybe sooner rather than later as he has recently had a stroke and is currently recovering at home.
One thing of note is his 4kw battery which he says gives him at least 2hrs of evening use when he returns home from work. This fuels making T, the lights, TV and an odd cuppa or two so he intends doubling up on the batteries rather than what he generates spilling onto the grid for a pittance.
Octopus Energy have a tariff to buy electric for about 7p per KW overnight. So if you are out all day, an option worth looking into could be a large battery and if like me have a pure electric car cheap fuel too so win win.
Finally what did it cost me? Well a lot, 17.2k in fact but it was funded by the sale of two of my pins namely Mando LE and TSPP and I had almost 2k left over which I put towards my next EUC as a treat to myself so again Win Win 😉
I could have done it myself with the help of a mate as he has just installed his own panels and battery at a third of the cost albeit a 3.2/4.2 system. He doesn’t get any income but it has made his Holiday Cottage self sufficient and excess electric heats the water for his guests when the battery is full.
Before I bit the bullet I must give another shout out to @Calimori who I spoke to at length many times so big thanks is due to him.
I will chart my experience over the years and keep you’s all informed of how it goes.

I went into this with my eyes wide open after chatting to my mate Simon at length who had a 4kw/4kw system fitted in 2019 for around 10k hence me choosing the very same company for mine.
Both he and the wife are out all day and due to the battery being 4kw it fills fairly quick then everything else harvested spills onto the grid at about 12p per KW now and he has sent 1000’s of KW to the grid over 3 yrs.
When he first had them fitted he was getting around 40p per KW but due to energy company’s folding and being swallowed up by the bigger fish that figure is around 7p for new installations.
This it the reason to try and use everything generated to get the most out of them, so for those out at work all day it may not be the best use of your money.
So back to your question Alan, will I get payback?
Maybe! But I love the idea of trying to go off grid and at 61 if I outlive my battery’s I don’t care 😂
If I don’t god forbid at least it helps Wend and Gabe with there finances a little and I’ll nickname my Two battery’s Colin and David so my love of tech lives on after me 😂
Simon intends to retire in 2yrs but that maybe sooner rather than later as he has recently had a stroke and is currently recovering at home.
One thing of note is his 4kw battery which he says gives him at least 2hrs of evening use when he returns home from work. This fuels making T, the lights, TV and an odd cuppa or two so he intends doubling up on the batteries rather than what he generates spilling onto the grid for a pittance.
Octopus Energy have a tariff to buy electric for about 7p per KW overnight. So if you are out all day, an option worth looking into could be a large battery and if like me have a pure electric car cheap fuel too so win win.
Finally what did it cost me? Well a lot, 17.2k in fact but it was funded by the sale of two of my pins namely Mando LE and TSPP and I had almost 2k left over which I put towards my next EUC as a treat to myself so again Win Win 😉
I could have done it myself with the help of a mate as he has just installed his own panels and battery at a third of the cost albeit a 3.2/4.2 system. He doesn’t get any income but it has made his Holiday Cottage self sufficient and excess electric heats the water for his guests when the battery is full.
Before I bit the bullet I must give another shout out to @Calimori who I spoke to at length many times so big thanks is due to him.
I will chart my experience over the years and keep you’s all informed of how it goes.
Look into Agile Octopus Tarif, it pays way more then 7p usually on avg is around 20p but can go as high as 60p if you export at the right time of day.

Look into Agile Octopus Tarif, it pays way more then 7p usually on avg is around 20p but can go as high as 60p if you export at the right time of day.
Oooooh thanks for that. My mate has rigged up a Raspi using some wizardry by the community so it auto imports/exports to the grid and I think it uses that tariff. 👍

Careful with agile, my mate's on it and it flat-topped at 58p import.

Better off doing nothing and wait to see what happens in Oct

Back
Top Bottom