What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Energy prices - gone nuts.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
Poor old Shell 🥳🥳🥳🥳💩
We really need a massive retrospective windfall tax on these oil giants, along with ongoing tax increases until things stabilise. Hopefully this issue becomes so politically unpalatable that the Daily-Mail-headline style arguments being offered up are exposed for the nonsense they are, and the government are forced into it.

Solar installed?
Yeah on the 3rd, weather been pretty good so touched grid once so far and was my gf fault for turning on dish washer too early in morning and bat was not charged fully and panels not producing much, but with bat fully charged it is working very well :)

Is 4.8kw panels with 5.8kw battery

Just waiting for cert so can sign up to octopus export tariff.

CF1698A7-366D-45E6-80EE-9C4B5E82A0DC.jpeg

Yeah on the 3rd, weather been pretty good so touched grid once so far and was my gf fault for turning on dish washer too early in morning and bat was not charged fully and panels not producing much, but with bat fully charged it is working very well :)

Is 4.8kw panels with 5.8kw battery

Just waiting for cert so can sign up to octopus export tariff.

View attachment 169182
Nice!

How much did the battery set you back?

Scott

Mine has gone from about £300 to £200 a month compared to last year, done some tweaking and even using eco mode on ovens which I didn’t think of using before.
The indoor washing line in the garden room is saving us quite a bit (good air flow), the towels now have the added bonus of exfoliating our skin😂
Pretty amazing result really considering it went up so much.

Mine has gone from about £300 to £200 a month compared to last year, done some tweaking and even using eco mode on ovens which I didn’t think of using before.
The indoor washing line in the garden room is saving us quite a bit (good air flow), the towels now have the added bonus of exfoliating our skin😂
Pretty amazing result really considering it went up so much.
That’s amazing bet you wished you had started sooner :D

bloody Hell. EDF are really keen to move me onto a smart meter. I’m getting 2-3 texts a week about it. I’m guessing surge pricing is firmly on the horizon.

Poor old Shell 🥳🥳🥳🥳💩

We really need a massive retrospective windfall tax on these oil giants, along with ongoing tax increases until things stabilise. Hopefully this issue becomes so politically unpalatable that the Daily-Mail-headline style arguments being offered up are exposed for the nonsense they are, and the government are forced into it.

The other point that often gets conveniently overlooked in the news headlines is that as pump prices increase and the fuel companies see increasing profits, so does the government see increasing funds to the public purse.

Although fuel duty is currently fixed at 57.95p per litre on both petrol and diesel, there is still VAT charged at 20% on the total amount, so you pay 20% VAT on the 57.95p fuel duty as well as on the variable part of the fuel cost.

The chancellor is also seeing increased VAT income on pretty much everything that is going up in price, although VAT on (cold) food is 0% and home energy is 5%, so not so much on gas and electricity, although VAT on energy bills for most businesses is still rated at 20%).

That's a lot of extra tax being collected as the public are being hit by increased prices across the board.

BP made £4.9bn in Q1, but that was before the £21bn they wrote off their investment in Rosneft, so reported LOSSES (that have not been reported by the press) were £16bn.

In 2021 BP reported £12bn profit and in 2020 a £20bn loss.

Contrast these amounts to the £800bn per annum government revenue and £900bn per annum government spend; BP's profits are peanuts in comparison.
Of this £800bn, government revenues from fuel duty are around £28bn per year plus another £12bn VAT on fuel (which has recently increased to £15bn due to fuel price rises but Rishi gave most of the increase back in the 5p per litre price cut).

Back in February Starmer et.al. were proposing a £1.2bn windfall tax which works out at £40 per UK household. That's not going to solve much.

And there are much easier ways that raising an extra £1.2bn than a windfall tax which could risk attractiveness of UK stock market to investors. Like the recent NI increase that raised an extra £12bn a year or taking back the 5p per litre fuel duty cut which would get back £3bn a year.

To me the windfall tax is just a political/press football that has little financial consequence on overall government finance or solving energy cost issues and just makes others pay for the rising costs of the fuel, And many of the "others" will be those will be Joe public with small pension pots and tracker fund ISAs who should but will not complain as their losses will not be immediately apparent to them. And for the relatively small amount of tax revenue it will generate it probably isn't worth the risk trashing BPs share price and making UK stock market less attractive for companies to list on or investors to invest in.

So, it's just something for the politicians to keep themselves busy arguing over and the press to fill their time/column inches.

Was looking like another gridless day until i tested the new solar immersion diverter which decided it would just turn on when I was NOT exporting (as charging battery) lol
Not sure what happened there will need to read manual again :D

1651853762762.png

They gave billions away to their friends during the pandemic. Gotta get it back somehow....
If we were pulling that kinda scam we'd be locked up til doomsday. Politics, more crooked than Deeprot.

I had clamp cable wrong direction doh! Working well now though, have turned boiler off for now.
8DD96619-667C-4318-9A95-809C552BFEA8.jpeg

Starting to get the hang of using high energy devices at the right time… Quite happy with the system so far but weather is quite nice at the moment will be interesting how well it does when it’s cloudy for days on end.

Also have heating turned completely off with the solar diverter heating our hot water which is working very well really happy with that. Again probably useless over winter but nice for summer :)

It’s a 4.8kw system but have seen it making 5.3kw so I guess they can hit there spec and more.

Here are some nerd graphs :D

58FCBB8C-8839-4010-95C0-C7360587489B.jpeg6DBEC7D9-5342-4D1F-9A42-8B1CB924C14A.jpeg4373E358-5E3A-4B4F-A1CF-47B26DF03802.png

Are you filling the battery up fully on any days?
Does yield mean the same as generated?

If the monitor uses only a CT clamp, then it will be slightly inaccurate as they measure amps and the voltage can fluctuate, so it will change the kW’s.

Yesterday was the first day that Octopus and Tesla took control of my battery and used my storage.
F9C8FF2D-4054-45EE-8170-AC9DB2F98689.jpeg

I need to change again how I use the data to track my generation and productions. But I really do think this method of local generation and sharing needs to be part of a national strategy.

Are you filling the battery up fully on any days?
Does yield mean the same as generated?

If the monitor uses only a CT clamp, then it will be slightly inaccurate as they measure amps and the voltage can fluctuate, so it will change the kW’s.

Yesterday was the first day that Octopus and Tesla took control of my battery and used my storage.
View attachment 170342

I need to change again how I use the data to track my generation and productions. But I really do think this method of local generation and sharing needs to be part of a national strategy.

Yeah so depending on the weather the batt usually fully charged by midday then it heats the hot water up then starts feeding back into the grid, so the yellow is excess and going back into the grid, the green is what I use my self (not including charging battery) but the total height is what the panels have generated that day, Not had a day yet where the battery was not fully charged, need some gloomy days to test how well it charges in those conditions hehe :)

We can quite easily run off the battery the whole evening / over night and usually left with 40% in the morning, if we have a late meal or roast it can use quite a chunk of the battery and its almost dead in the morning. Iv pretty much avoided the grid so far apart from a couple mistakes, Over summer I think it will be super efficient and save us a good chunk of change. No idea about winter yet but will learn as that comes around. I'm sure it will still cover out background usage but will hit the grid a bit for high energy devices.

Iv signed up with octopus energy export tariff now just waiting for it to be setup, at the moment all the excess is getting given away for free! :D

Yeah so depending on the weather the batt usually fully charged by midday then it heats the hot water up then starts feeding back into the grid, so the yellow is excess and going back into the grid, the green is what I use my self (not including charging battery) but the total height is what the panels have generated that day, Not had a day yet where the battery was not fully charged, need some gloomy days to test how well it charges in those conditions hehe :)

We can quite easily run off the battery the whole evening / over night and usually left with 40% in the morning, if we have a late meal or roast it can use quite a chunk of the battery and its almost dead in the morning. Iv pretty much avoided the grid so far apart from a couple mistakes, Over summer I think it will be super efficient and save us a good chunk of change. No idea about winter yet but will learn as that comes around. I'm sure it will still cover out background usage but will hit the grid a bit for high energy devices.

Iv signed up with octopus energy export tariff now just waiting for it to be setup, at the moment all the excess is getting given away for free! :D
What battery are you running @russdx1 ?

Thanks
Chris

Back
Top Bottom