What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Earthshaker project

90% of cabinet braided now, will mount some more hardware tonight then take some photos :)

Getting close to putting that pf back in! :)

Regards
Russell

Got alot done last night :)

20190914_201954.jpg20190916_125503.jpg20190916_125508.jpg20190916_125512.jpg20190916_125520.jpg20190916_125535.jpg20190916_125553.jpg20190916_133944.jpg

And it looks like a pinball machine again!!!

Next is sort the side rails / transformer out then
- finish coin door
- add cabinet speaker
- clean pcb's / install them
- wire up flipper coils
- install pf apron
- clean / reinstall backbox speaker bracket + alphanumeric display
- test everything!!!!

20190916_211137.jpg20190916_211151.jpg20190916_211157.jpg20190916_211203.jpg20190916_211210.jpg20190916_211219.jpg

Regards
Russell

Attachments

• 20190916_211130.jpg
    20190916_211130.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 8
had to drop this a while as been a bit busy but I am now back! (it's almost finished)

Transformer cleaned up / spray painted black
20191020_212529.jpg

coin door finished (need the 10p insert card, any idea where to get / print?)
20191020_211056.jpg

pcbs installed / wired up (booted first try!!)
20191020_215424.jpg
20191020_215445.jpg
new stick courtesy of @stumblor love them!
20191020_215430.jpg
20191020_215434.jpg

couple photos of it up and running :)
20191020_215452.jpg
20191020_215456.jpg
20191020_215500.jpg
20191020_215511.jpg
20191020_215522.jpg

Issues
- left flippers dead (blown fuse)
- all coils went really weak after few games (Main 50v fuse had loose cap so replaced)
- wired 2 targets up wrong DOH (all other switches was ok)
- few blown bulbs
- really weird issue with pop lamps, they work in the all lamps test but not in attract/game play??? must of wired wrong some how but wiring looks ok.

Last one which is not fixed yet is the fault trip seams very erratic ie when it opens / closes it just does it like 4 times and ends up in wrong state. So needs a bit if adjustment i think. Also when the ball travels over it in the closed direction it does not follow the channel correctly and just falls off to the right. But think i can fix all this witj adjustments. Left coil feels a bit weak. Pretty sure I replaced with brand new coil as well so will check connectors/fuses etc... apart from that it appears to function ok (full / hold etc..)

Next is the backbox lamp door and stick on all the various little stickers iv got from Marco/stumbor/dude in USA :)

Regards
Russell

tracked the weak left flipper down to issue with left upper coil as again F7 blew when using the upper flipper. So have disconnected it and had no issues since! Must be bad coil or something so have ordered a new one.

Also noticed the eject hole always takes 2 attempts to get the ball out so need to look into that. And the right loop does not register the ball going round in play but appears to pass the switch test which is weird :/

And still need to adjust the fault to work correctly. But almost there! Was at least able to play some fun games! just minus upper left flipper lol.

Regards
Russell

Had quire a few games on it last night (without upper flipper, but still fun)

Current issues
- no upper flipper
- wired up blue/red pop lamps wrong way round (still don't work in attract but do in lamp test)
- right loop left switch playing up so game does not detect this shot correctly
- fault line still needs adjusting
- eject hole still has trouble getting ball out

Apart from that appears to play great.
Will get back box lamp board installed soon and the back glass on!

At the moment got 4mm glass installed but feels thin so not sure if 6mm will fit? or any one no where i can order proper pinball glass from?

Regards
Russell

Just noticed playing pinball arcade that the pops dont flash in attract mode! so guess that's not an issue :) Just need to swap red/blue.

- Pop lamp fixed (bad solder joint)
- left upper flipper fixed (new green coil)

Now onto fault line / kickout hole (think mech just needs twisting a few mm)

Regards
Russell

- fault line adjusted correctly now
- right loop fixed

just the eject hole now and fit the lamp board to go! and stickers!

Regards
Russell

A minor point that would niggle me about the playfield (it's taken me this long to notice); why eliminate only two of the four circles showing where anti-return wires under the flippers would've been fitted? The two outer ones have gone, but the inner ones are still there, albeit filled in with the red/white banding.

Gonna try warm white frosted leds for GI.

Also noticed whist playing got loads of tiny little white flakes all over pf which i originally thought was the white rubbers but it's not!! It's the CPR plastics literally disintegrating in the machine!!!! The digital ink DOES NOT stick to the plastic and is just chipping off left right and centre. Really not happy with this digital stuff. You can also see the printer lines and its all grainy. Am on the hunt for some proper silk screen plastics.

Regards
Russell

100% agree - the CPR diner ones I got weren't great either.

Another solution might be to ask @Colywobbles wheyher he could make you a set of protectors for them.

Last edited:
Yeah that is one idea, I would really like a proper set of silk screened plastics :) must be out there some where :)

I have the big cpr topper as well but with it just sat on my shelf for 9 months big chunks are flaking off as well so that's worthless now as well grrr.

Any way its pretty much done now.

Just need to find some thicker glass though as the 4mm rattles to much will try 6mm hopefully it just about slides in! Oh and install more stickers!

Will take some nice photos / video with gf iPhone soon (far better cam then my ****ty s7 lol)

20191027_204043.jpg
IMG-20191028-WA0000.jpg

It is now fully playable and great fun! my 5 year old is addicted to it! (does all my QA)

Will deffo restore another one day maybe a dinner or something but not until the kids are much older and I have more spare time and it does not drag out 9 months.... lol

Regards
Russell

To be honest mate I would get in touch with CPR about the topper. Chances are they have had other reports about it so you could be up for a replace, refund, or discount at the very least, especially if you can show that it hasn't even been installed. CPR are pretty good about these things in my experience. I speak to Kevin, I'll PM you his email.

Yeah the topper does not really bother me, I'm not really a topper person so had no intention of actually installing it (it just came with the plastics kit) be nice if it was not flaking though :D The rest of the kit is annoying though as its not even lasting a few games and i really wanted the silk ones. I appreciate what they do for the hobby so not fussy about a refund or any thing just really want a proper silk screen set which they now don't offer so will have to do some hunting of my own!

Says sold-out... but he made me one for mine a few years back.
Really super mod - code is in the ROM, but they pulled it for the final version.
Make yours an "LE"... it deserves it!

index.html

Great work - nice to see.

CM

Iv seen that sinking mod, is very very cool :)

Yeah or can is a good idea, I'm try and track down a local glass cutter who can do 5mm glass for now :)

Regards
Russell

Been finished for months now, will take a video soon :)

One thing not to happy about is the cpr plastics literally disintegrating and leaving white flakes of ink everywhere, nightmare to keep pf clean! And all the edges of the plastics is all missing artwork!!!!

Regards
Russell

Been finished for months now, will take a video soon :)

One thing not to happy about is the cpr plastics literally disintegrating and leaving white flakes of ink everywhere, nightmare to keep pf clean! And all the edges of the plastics is all missing artwork!!!!

Regards
Russell

This news does not bode well for my CPR diner plastics 😬

Might be worth spraying the backs with clearcoat?

For anyone ready this - DO NOT SPRAY THE BACKS WITH CLEAR!!

I tried this on some repro plastics this afternoon for a bit of extra protection, and it's reacted badly with the ink - Crazing everywhere.

Of course I did the whole lot rather than testing first 🤦🏻‍♂️

If anyone's got any ideas about how to rectify...?

Last edited:
LOL, they r all ****ed any way so need to be replaced :( luckily they are all in sort of easy to replace positions. Will only put in proper silk screen set though!

Back
Top Bottom