What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress DR Who restore

Unfortunately in this case solder is not up to the job, you either need to weld it or buy a new gearbox. In case you're wondering... I've been there, done that and got the tee-shirt. Best to tell you now before you refit the expander... :oops:

Thanks for the advice, it was a give it a go thing! It's soldered well and should be easier to move once serviced but it's in my budget should I need to buy new, or I guess I could get it braised as it's brass.

Enjoying this thread - fond memories of playing this in the pub. Cliffy looks great. Great work on the cab too. Blue post rubbers surely ?
Good work. Always great to see a machine being brought back [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Jon, glad your enjoying it, blue was my first thought might be the way to go

Started to rebuild the playfield, can't go much further as need new posts, got plenty black one's but want to change to light blue.

DSC04961.JPG DSC04962.JPG

Started to look at the underside to see what needs doing, noticed 3 different types of flipper coil! orange,blue and red! they all meant to be orange FL-15411, not sure how that will be with the fliptronics? I could change them all to blue? anyone know what's best or is it ok as is?

DSC04963.JPG

Ronnie - i would stick them as they are in the manual.... Sometimes one will need a change, however most of the time it;s about right :)

Ronnie - i would stick them as they are in the manual.... Sometimes one will need a change, however most of the time it;s about right :)

Cheers Paul, I have one orange but would need to test it, but I have 2 new blue one's, I suppose sticking to what should be fitted is the way to go. Another problem waiting to be dealt with is resets! never bothered with it as had no intention of playing it until it had been shopped but it tended to happen when a flipper was pressed! I wonder if it's related?

Cheers Ronnie

Probably will be solved by reseating the ribbons and connectors between the driver board and cpu board....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Probably will be solved by reseating the ribbons and connectors between the driver board and cpu board....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes could be, when it comes time will try the easy stuff first, even seen the transformer plug cause resets!

Just got some parts I needed today so time to crack on! most bits are back on the playfield

DSC04965.JPG DSC04966.JPG DSC04964.JPG

Still to rebuild the flippers and fit the apron. Busy fitting new opto's to the time expander, once that's done I can get that put back together and fit it back in the game.

Cheers Chris, me too, dying to have a game on it! Also brand new slingshots fitted now

Ronnie seeing how people like you can do up pins like this really show us newbies what we should be aiming for if we decide to get into the renovation side of pinball.

Thanks again Chris, I hope it does help others, but it is a lot of work, but well worth the time and effort.

Cheers Ronnie

Finished the mini playfield today and re fitted it! It took way longer than I thought to work through it, but I made sure the opto's etc were all working before I put it in, the good news is I have not had to remove it again as yet as it all worked properly. I may need to raise the left side slightly as it has a bit of a dip which could hold the ball! I will just fit a small washer to the bracket at that side. I like the cliffy's they just set it off nicely, jusy hope they don't cause any issues with the ball!DSC04968.JPG DSC04969.JPG DSC04970.JPG

Still a fair bit to do but getting there!

Reactions: DRD
Ronnie, when you finished can you come and finish off the pins I have started but can't seem to find the time to finish.

Well my enthusiasm comes in fits and starts! and these restores seem to be much harder than they were 10+years ago! But if you have lost the love for anything sell it to me:thumbs:

Few bits done today, mainly rebuilt the flippers and fitter red super bands, other jobs inc removing the right ramp to fit a part I forgot!. Level the mini pf at one side, re fit the under ramp, replace a dud outlane switch, also tested all the switches in test. I might be at the point where I can play a game tomorrow! Oh wait maybe not still might have a reset issue!

Things still to do-

Replace the dmd as it has some ghosting lines on the left side
Make some kind of topper to go in the empty dome, I have a Dalek toy thing that I have dissected, more about that later.
Lastly hopefully have some fun playing it for a while!

DSC04971.JPG DSC04972.JPG

Have some fun playing for a while!

Sounds like it's not a keeper?

That's a lot of work to sell it on.

No plans to sell it Chris, unless I hate it after playing it lol, never played one.

I mentioned earlier - I've played this. It reminds me of the great days when lots of pubs had pinball machines. The early nineties for me were the heyday of quality machines. Midway/Williams - Party Zone, CFTBL, TZ, BSD, TAF, STTNG, Fishtales, Whitewater, Indiana Jones and Dr Who were all in my local pubs at some point.
1992 to 1995 was a high point. I have almost certainly missed out machines worthy of a mention and maybe the turkeys too. My brother would say that Dr Who was a turkey, but he knows bugger all about pinball ;-)

It looks fantastic - would look great in my house ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: DRD
Happy to report I have had a few games without any reset problems or other issues at all. Have to say without playing it in any depth as yet I found it fun to play so far!

Otherwise I have still been busy doing bits and bobs on the pin. Today I tackled the topper! I bought this remote control Dalek on fleebay last year, I had to dissect it severely for my purpose!

$_57.JPG

Seemed a shame but I have no use for such a toy! I had planned to rig something up so the head would move like the real thing but it proved too difficult to do anything as I had nothing to drive a motor to interact with the game, so settled to have it lit instead. Again big thanks to Keith for providing the dome. I think it looks good, pictures really don't do it justice but see what you think?

DSC04977.JPG DSC04976.JPG DSC04975.JPG DSC04974.JPG DSC04973.JPG

What I did was crack the thing open took it's guts out, cut it's head off and fitted 2 super bright led's to the 2 lights on the top, the scope thing on the front already had a blue led so hooked that up to the other 2. I also fitted a strip of white smd led's along the front of the dalek to uplight it like on the real deal. Well I think it's better than no topper at all? maybe something better will come along but for now I'm happy.

Ronnie

Back
Top Bottom