What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress DR Who restore

ronnie63

Site Supporter
Well this has been sat since late last year! At last had time and space to dig it out and make a start! Here is how she looked when I picked her up.

pin2.jpg pin1.jpg pin3.jpg pin6.jpg pin12.jpg

Terrible fade to the cab as per! so first job is to strip the old decals off and clean up any dings, also fill the lock bar holes. While I'm doing that I will get all the bits, legs, coin door hinges powder coated, Already have the new decals, here is today's progress.

DSC04903.JPG
DSC04904.JPG DSC04905.JPG DSC04906.JPG DSC04907.JPG DSC04908.JPG DSC04909.JPG DSC04910.JPG

Here are the new decals

DSC04632.JPG DSC04633.JPG

More to follow, plenty to do..........

Thanks Ronnie

The cab is all stripped of decals now, just need to sand and fill. pic below metal parts before I dropped them off at the powder coat place. I did think about doing the bits a matching colour but going to stick with original black

DSC04911.JPG DSC04912.JPG

The new decals should make s huge improvement, they look fabulous compared to the original ones.

The new decals should make s huge improvement, they look fabulous compared to the original ones.

Thanks, I have been looking forward to getting this one started, hoping to make progress fairly quickly!

Also wanted to point out the backbox and playfield are still all connected! they are under the blanket you see behind the cab! I can tip the cab either way and stand it on it's back which will save me loads of time but won't compromise the quality of the cab refurb. I will do the backbox last once the playfield is back in and the cab is siting on it's base.

Just a small update! well removing the decals was the easy bit, the glue left behind is a nightmare! And what looks like a straight solid cab does need some filling and smoothing, spent hours sanding and filling the dings and splintered bits at the corners.

DSC04913.JPG DSC04914.JPG DSC04915.JPG
As you can see the back at the bottom needed some filling so have had to paint the back of the cab, while I was at it I painted the top piece that the backbox sits on and the insides of the sides.

DSC04913.JPG DSC04914.JPG DSC04915.JPG DSC04917.JPG DSC04919.JPG

Below showing the back painted, I'm now at the stage where I can start fitting the decals!

DSC04913.JPG DSC04914.JPG DSC04915.JPG DSC04917.JPG DSC04919.JPG DSC04920.JPG DSC04921.JPG

Hope to make a start on the decals tomorrow

Thanks Ronnie

Are you going to use the stern hidden leg protectors to stop the new decals wrinkling ?

Are you going to use the stern hidden leg protectors to stop the new decals wrinkling ?

I was thinking about leg protectors but not sure what way to go? I guess the stern one's are sunk into the wood? advice welcome.

I think stern is the way to go. They rest on top of the cabinet, they are not sunk into the wood. You must trim the decal so it stops a few mm short of the protector, this will be hidden behind the leg. These mean that the pinball legs stand proud of the cabinet, just make sure that the legs are not damaged, or they may not sit flat on the leg protectors.

image.jpg

http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/new-decals-warning.33929/#post-171058

Last edited:
I think stern is the way to go. They rest on top of the cabinet, they are not sunk into the wood. You must trim the decal so it stops a few mm short of the protector, this will be hidden behind the leg. These mean that the pinball legs stand proud of the cabinet, just make sure that the legs are not damaged, or they may not sit flat on the leg protectors.

View attachment 34676

http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/new-decals-warning.33929/#post-171058

Thanks for that, have seen them but not sure how they fitted on. I guess they would be best but I think I will keep it original for now and maybe cut some felt and see how they go, I guess if needs be the stern one's could be fitted later. Will give the decal plenty time to adhere before bolting legs on

Thanks Ronnie

@ronnie63 if you're going to the effort of re-decalling the cab then definitely fit the Stern metal protectors. In this case, keeping it original is not the best choice :thumbs: They do a similar job to felt but are just loads better and are standard on all NIB pins (although Stern now do plastic ones to cut costs).

@ronnie63 if you're going to the effort of re-decalling the cab then definitely fit the Stern metal protectors. In this case, keeping it original is not the best choice :thumbs: They do a similar job to felt but are just loads better and are standard on all NIB pins (although Stern now do plastic ones to cut costs).

Thanks, will give it some thought, I could easily cut the decals after I have fitted them. in fact have already fitted the front decal.

Cheers Ronnie

That's the cabinet decals fitted, went well, the hardest part for me was trimming the edges! I was a nervous wreck! Some pics showing just fitted to trimmed.

DSC04922.JPG DSC04923.JPG DSC04924.JPG DSC04925.JPG DSC04926.JPG DSC04927.JPG

Next job is to collect the metal parts from powder coat tomorrow, refit the playfield put side rails back, fit coin door etc then cover all that over then start on the back box!

Thanks Ronnie

Well the metal parts were not ready today! So I fitted the side rails buttons etc the put the playfield back along with the glass, covered that over and got started on the back box. Again a few dings to deal with but should be easier than the bottom!

DSC04928.JPG DSC04929.JPG

Some of the bolts are silver rather than black? well the one's that hold the inner lamp board are, pondering on doing them all black? or leave them as they were? what to do? any opinions?

Thanks Ronnie

I leave them silver, keeping it original.

But once you decal a game, originality has left the building.

So whatever floats your boat.

I leave them silver, keeping it original.

But once you decal a game, originality has left the building.

So whatever floats your boat.

Yes that's true, they are not rusty or anything guess I will leave them as they are:thumbs:

cheers Ronnie

Just out of curiosity (and I can't see any problem in the photos) but did you black the edges of the cabinet before fitting the decals? I've seen others do this so that when the edge is cut it's black underneath instead of pale wood.

Looks damn though! CARRY ON... !!!

Just out of curiosity (and I can't see any problem in the photos) but did you black the edges of the cabinet before fitting the decals? I've seen others do this so that when the edge is cut it's black underneath instead of pale wood.

Looks damn though! CARRY ON... !!!

I watched others doing the edges black but there was no sign of it being done under the old decals so I never bothered, think I got away with it. the bottom edge is tapered slightly so when it's on it legs it won't really be in view.

Not much to report, not had much time, just a bit of filling and sanding! ho hum! did get metal parts back from powder coat though

Before

DSC04912.JPG

And after

DSC04931.JPG

DSC04930.JPG

Cost me £30 but there was also another coin door and speaker panel done. Money well spent, the bits look better than the pics

Love looking at these restorations that people do, they're a great inspiration to newbies itching to give it a try. :thumbs:

Well done btw, looking great, keep posting a few progress pics.

John

Love looking at these restorations that people do, they're a great inspiration to newbies itching to give it a try. :thumbs:

Well done btw, looking great, keep posting a few progress pics.

John

Thanks John, appreciate the encouragement, I will keep adding pics and details all the way, will also post the parts list with prices etc.

Cheers Ronnie

where do you get your powder coating done Ronnie, looking for somewhere to do some stuff

In Carnoustie where I live Mike, it's just along the road from me, he has done loads for me and price is always decent, might be a bit far from you but if you can get stuff to me happy to take/collect it to and from the place

Made a fair bit of progress but still lots to do, some pics of the head as I went, painting the black area after filling and sanding
DSC04932.JPG DSC04933.JPG DSC04935.JPG DSC04936.JPG

Then with the decals fitted

DSC04937.JPG DSC04938.JPG

All went well and looking good, took longer than I thought! Then on to building the cab back together, note the stern leg protectors fitted

DSC04940.JPG

Paint the skid rails on the back

DSC04943.JPG

Them it goes in position for the playfield to be stripped and cleaned, Cab is now finished, some pics showing the coin door fitted etc

DSC04947.JPG DSC04946.JPG DSC04945.JPG DSC04948.JPG

Now on to strip the dirty dull playfield

DSC04950.JPG DSC04949.JPG

Time to get it clean and polish it

DSC04951.JPG DSC04952.JPG DSC04953.JPG DSC04954.JPG

This is where I'm at now, time expander motor gearbox needs attention, from what I have read one of the cogs comes adrift so will need to look at that, probably rebuild the flippers, still to strip the mini playfield and service check all that, still lots to do.....

Thanks Ronnie

Today I have been stripping the expander and doing other bits and bobs, the gearbox was slipping so I stripped it cleaned all the gears of treacle like grease! Also had to solder the big cog to stop it slipping. The whole slider was junked up with solid grease so I guess that put a strain on the gearbox. Also ordered new opto's as I might as well replace those while it's apart, some of the soldering looks dodgy from previous repairs. Never took many pics today, kept forgetting!

DSC04959.JPG

I have a 3 piece cliffy set for the expander and entrance to it, although I'm not sure which piece goes on first on the expander? top or bottom bit? but have fitted the one to the entrance already, wear was not too bad as you can see below

DSC04957.JPG

But looks much better with the cliffy

DSC04958.JPG

Still need to order flipper rebuild kit but holding back to see if I need anything else. Was also thinking of fitting coloured post rubbers rather than black was thinking either red or blue? open to suggestions? and last pic is just of the bits waiting to be cleaned. All the metal bits are in the tumbler. Great things but I hate picking all the bits out of the holes and screw heads afterwards! Also thinking about a few toys, was looking for one of those usb hub tardis but nothing cheap to be had on the bay, will also get a k-9 and dalek to replace the daft switch covers I think. Well one is missing anyway!

DSC04960.JPG

Also had to solder the big cog to stop it slipping.

Unfortunately in this case solder is not up to the job, you either need to weld it or buy a new gearbox. In case you're wondering... I've been there, done that and got the tee-shirt. Best to tell you now before you refit the expander... :oops:

Enjoying this thread - fond memories of playing this in the pub. Cliffy looks great. Great work on the cab too. Blue post rubbers surely ?
Good work. Always great to see a machine being brought back [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom