What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dr dude flipper and mixmaster issues

I know exactly what you mean about the OCD as I am exactly the same however, you will have to learn to control it as with this hobby you are buying 20-30 year old machines that WILL break from time to time. Even the newer machines require regular maintenance.

If you can't accept that then it's probably not the right hobby for you (at least for owning your own machines anyway) perhaps just stick to playing the games in local arcades.

I'm certain there will be a local repairer in your area that can have it fixed for you just google it. You might want to try the pinside forums as this forum is heavily UK collectors

I know exactly what you mean about the OCD as I am exactly the same however, you will have to learn to control it as with this hobby you are buying 20-30 year old machines that WILL break from time to time. Even the newer machines require regular maintenance.

If you can't accept that then it's probably not the right hobby for you (at least for owning your own machines anyway) perhaps just stick to playing the games in local arcades.

I'm certain there will be a local repairer in your area that can have it fixed for you just google it. You might want to try the pinside forums as this forum is heavily UK collectors

Well I own several other machines for over (28 years in the hobby.)..bought my first game in 1990...including the Twilight Zone Addams Family Funhouse Back to the Future and Revenge from Mars. Completely disassembled all of them to clean and rebuild and still i have never had an issue like this. I've already asked several different forums with this issue and been on different help me sites and I've already tried so many things that I really don't think the people close to me would be of much help and I'm not excited about having to pay per hour for somebody to grasp at straws like I'm doing. Don't get me wrong I'm very appreciative about all the help I've gotten so far it's just really frustrating when nothing seems to work. I still have not taken the capacitors off to look for the issue with the magnet not working mainly because I figured I probably could not figure that out anyhow. I've already looked so long at this game for any kind of wires out of place or solder joints bad or so much things that I just don't think I could find anything so at least this way the magnet can work as it's supposed to and I just try not to push the flipper button in too long so it does not stay up...
I may find some time eventually to look again or maybe find someone local that knows something about it but I do not know when that will be. I would like to figure this out

New issues pop up all the time and can stump the best of us. Just because you have stripped down a machine and rebuilt it doesn’t mean you have good working knowledge on electronics and how these things work in depth. There’s going to be times you run into things that you can’t diagnose that require someone else’s help, you have obviously been extremely lucky so far.
As already mentioned (and I have read your response) however, if you are truly stuck and frustrated with this then there are good people out there that do this day in and day out for a living who would sort this issue out for you but if you are not willing to pay for those services you will be limited to finding someone local on Pinside that is willing to help for free. I know if it were my machine and I felt I’d honestly tried everything I’d just pay the money to get it sorted as I accept these things cost us money sometimes whether that be in parts or servicing. You admit you haven’t tried everything yet as you haven’t took off the capacitors and continued to dig deeper, you say because you ‘probably can’t figure that out anyway’ which would imply that your knowledge isn’t good enough for diagnosing this. If you love the game and want to enjoy it, take the hit and pay the money. Some people operate a no fix no fee policy anyway. I hope you get it sorted. I own this game so if need me to photo any part of my machine or if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Yes you are right as diagnosing electrical issues and board issues are my weakest point on these...and I have paid people to come help with another game I have and as I was watching him solder to a board I was thinking the whole time that I know I would be doing a cleaner/neater job than he was doing.... and he took a long time to not do a great job..... then when he was done the board still gave me problems and when I looked closely at it I found he had too much solder on the pins and had them shorted out. So I had to repair his repair...And I have done board work too but usually it was swapping parts known to go bad or parts that I was told probably were bad..
If you could take a picture of the flipper button switch wiring and that capacitor that would be great.
Thanks

Last edited:
I know it's been a long time but I had a chance to check this game again. I actually had new capacitors ordered that are the right size that are supposed to be on the flippers and I installed them today and it actually works now! So I am very happy to say that it is figured out finally. Someone must have installed those other ones for whatever reason and it was causing all the issues. Thank you all for so much help!!81075

Back
Top Bottom