What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dr dude flipper and mixmaster issues

bk2futr

Registered
I just got this game a couple weeks ago and was supposed to be all gone over and now that I've been playing it a bit I have a few problems with it I can't figure out.
First one is the flippers...Every time the magnet is energized the flipper stays up until the magnet releases the ball. I know the coils were changed...
As for the mixmaster ....it looks like it has dropped into the playfield ....it is down about 1/2 inch at least...I know it wasn't like that before today. I looked under the mixmaster from the bottom of the playfield but didn't see anything obvious.
Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give...

Thanks...i just got the game and noticed it since I've had it. Previous owner refurbished it. Including new coils on the flippers. I have a manual just not sure what to look for in it...all the schematics get confusing to me. I usually just take tons of pics when I do anything and make sure I put everything back the way it was

I got the Mixmaster fixed. Ended up being the adjustment nut had come loose and it worked its way backwards. A question on this though ....does anybody know you should use a little bit of grease on the gear? I know grease is usually a No-No on these and I never usually use it but it seems quite noisy. Just don't want anything to wear out prematurely. Still looking for the cause of the Flipper staying up when the magnets energized.

Why not contact the person who did the re ferb on it and see if they have any idea failing that when in the game and the flipper is stuck up turn the power off and report back what happens does it drop back down or stay up

I got the Mixmaster fixed. Ended up being the adjustment nut had come loose and it worked its way backwards. A question on this though ....does anybody know you should use a little bit of grease on the gear? I know grease is usually a No-No on these and I never usually use it but it seems quite noisy. Just don't want anything to wear out prematurely. Still looking for the cause of the Flipper staying up when the magnets energized.

Thank you ...I did contact him and he said it never did that for him. I will try the power off thing and report back. Thank you

Why not contact the person who did the re ferb on it and see if they have any idea failing that when in the game and the flipper is stuck up turn the power off and report back what happens does it drop back down or stay up

Ok. So when I power the machine off The Flipper and the ball both release

One flipper or both ?
Does the flipper go up by itself or only stay up after being used ?

One flipper or both flippers....whatever I push while magnet is on will stay up even after I am off the button. They won't go up by itself but will stay up until magnet releases the ball....

I'll look over the schematic tomorrow and see what comes to mind.

As the flippers are not being activated by the magnet in my mind it's something to do with the EOS switches. If the whole flipper circuit was being activated I would expect the flippers to fire and lock on as soon as the magnet was energised.

I'll look over the schematic tomorrow and see what comes to mind.

As the flippers are not being activated by the magnet in my mind it's something to do with the EOS switches. If the whole flipper circuit was being activated I would expect the flippers to fire and lock on as soon as the magnet was energised.
Ok thank you so much.....

What colour wires are going to the magnet coil, one should be Brown-Green ?
The only thing that seems to link the flippers to the magnet (based on the schematic) is the Interconnector Board so make sure that connectors J10 J8 and J5 are all aligned correctly and that there is nothing stuck between the connector and socket, like escaped fuse wire.

The only thing that seems to link the flippers to the magnet (based on the schematic) is the Interconnector Board so make sure that connectors J10 J8 and J5 are all aligned correctly and that there is nothing stuck between the connector and socket, like escaped fuse wire.
Yes that is the color of the wires....
I am pretty sure I checked those connectors already but will check again when I get home later today...
Is it possible that there could be something wrong with the board? Like a blob of solder between 2 pins? I had that happen before on a repaired board. I did notice that some of the connectors were replaced. maybe a mixed up wire on one of those?????
Thanks so much

Anything is a possibility, thats why these things are such a hunt and a head-scratch sometimes.

What colour is the other wire from the Magnet coil, I am still trying to find something to link the flipper coils to the magnet coil.
Both flippers and magnet run off 50v but are wired and powered separately so my initial EOS switch thought was folly. Im now thinking that somehow when the magnet is powered 50v is also going to the flippers but as the magnet coil is acting as a giant resistor there is not enough current to fire the coils only hold them up.

Check that there are no ‘operator’ fixes that have a jumper wire to power the magnet from a 50v source like the flippers. If the wrong tab was to be picked up ( they all have 50v on them ) then the hold flipper winding may be in series to the magnet circuit so energised when the magnet is grounded ( turned on )

Any pics of the flipper connections ?

Anything is a possibility, thats why these things are such a hunt and a head-scratch sometimes.

What colour is the other wire from the Magnet coil, I am still trying to find something to link the flipper coils to the magnet coil.
Both flippers and magnet run off 50v but are wired and powered separately so my initial EOS switch thought was folly. Im now thinking that somehow when the magnet is powered 50v is also going to the flippers but as the magnet coil is acting as a giant resistor there is not enough current to fire the coils only hold them up.
Other color is purple and yelliw0507181709_Film1.jpg

Check that there are no ‘operator’ fixes that have a jumper wire to power the magnet from a 50v source like the flippers. If the wrong tab was to be picked up ( they all have 50v on them ) then the hold flipper winding may be in series to the magnet circuit so energised when the magnet is grounded ( turned on )

Doesn't look like anything like that has happened

1525727661080983441153.jpg 1525727661080983441153.jpg

Attachments

• 15257277066231125021510.jpg
    15257277066231125021510.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 19

J8. J10. And j5 all look ok and aligned...

That looks to be where someone has 'tinned' the copper traces where the green coating has come off. If the board has been reworked it may be worth taking it out and checking the backside for faults.

The flippers have 50v power permanently applied at the positive side, with the switching happening through the flipper buttons on the ground or 0v side. So, in order for the flippers to stay on, once the flipper button switch is off, then there would need to be a short circuit leading back to ground.

The flippers have 50v power permanently applied at the positive side, with the switching happening through the flipper buttons on the ground or 0v side. So, in order for the flippers to stay on, once the flipper button switch is off, then there would need to be a short circuit leading back to ground.

Would the ground be coming from the magnet since it has to be energized for the problem to happen?

It is a possibility - I'd trace the ground wire from each flipper back, it will go through some connectors and the actually flipper button switch, and will then change colour (i think). Check nothing else is wired into it and that any connectors on boards arenot shorted etc.

It is a possibility - I'd trace the ground wire from each flipper back, it will go through some connectors and the actually flipper button switch, and will then change colour (i think). Check nothing else is wired into it and that any connectors on boards arenot shorted etc.

I did check the board in the backbox on the pins for the flipper connector for shorts with an ohm meter last night..is that what you mean? or should i take the boards out? I also tried unplugging the magnet (there is a plug in the backbox) and of course the magnet didn't work and the flipper didn't stay up...

I did check the board in the backbox on the pins for the flipper connector for shorts with an ohm meter last night..is that what you mean? or should i take the boards out? I also tried unplugging the magnet (there is a plug in the backbox) and of course the magnet didn't work and the flipper didn't stay up...

so looks like a short possibly in the back box or that backbox interface board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom