What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Data east 'Hook'

deathrow

Registered
Here is my very grubby and rusted data east hook.

This was stored in a garage in London. Unfortunately the garage door didn't shut past half mast and this machine was left open to the elements for 4 -5 years.
The machine was owned by Martin kemp for several years before being given to the person I got it from by his daughter. I have checked the history, made contact and its come back as fact so I am happy to continue with this thread. (This doesn't add value to the machine, I'm just sharing this quirk with you).

If you wish to know more history on this pin then please pm me as I wish for this to be a shop log thread about the machine more than its past :thumbs:

Ok so here is the garage where it sat..

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr__57_11_zps79afbe85.jpg

This was an ebay picture and doesn't show the near foot deep of leaves and other foliage thats blown in and the holes in the roof!

The roof holes were above the machine meaning that its been rained on for some time...

At home and she's filthy!

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2379_zpsd35f5d17.jpg
i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2376_zpse29edbfd.jpg
i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2391_zpsbcd99b6e.jpg

The locks were rusted shut. I have tried to show how rusty the rails and doors are but they seem nice in the pictures? The paint is all bubbled and flaking off...

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2377_zpsc05f2f32.jpg
i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2382_zps0f955d83.jpg

The cabinet has most water damage to the front, luckily the rest seems ok. I guess this is where the water has run down from the playfield.

You can see its swollen and split.

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2378_zpsb6eca5ed.jpg

Time to get started on her...

I attacked the key and lock with penetrating oil but she was stuck fast. I started tapping the end with a small hammer and pretty much ended whacking it until it freed up :thumbs:
Once I got the lock freed and the front door open I found the keys to the top lock.. Result! :)

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2383_zps6b5ba53b.jpg

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2385_zpsc6d5da65.jpg

I put some 3-1 oil on the key for the top lock and worked it in and out until she opened up.
I was expecting a right mess of mice nests and chewed wires etc but I was in for a shock..

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2386_zpsda948ce2.jpg

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2387_zps62b85fe4.jpg

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2390_zps1e064b54.jpg

Pretty clean really, Pleasantly surprised. :clap:

The PF looks ok-ish too and doesn't seem to have too much wear around the centre hole under the skull.
The lock down bar release is seized right now but I will get some better PF pics soon...

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2392_zps0babbab7.jpg

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2393_zpsf9f8918b.jpg

The artwork was black! Sorry I forgot to take some before pics but heres after some vinegar and soap solution wash.

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2395_zps88fbedc3.jpg

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2394_zps603003f1.jpg

Going to follow this shop log with great interest! Well done taking on such a basket case with the intention of bringing it back to life. Gets my vote :clap:

No need to spill the beans in public (unless you're ok with that) but did you pick it up for a bargain price? That would be the icing on the cake :)

GOOD LUCK, CAPTAIN!

Going to follow this shop log with great interest! Well done taking on such a basket case with the intention of bringing it back to life. Gets my vote :clap:

No need to spill the beans in public (unless you're ok with that) but did you pick it up for a bargain price? That would be the icing on the cake :)

GOOD LUCK, CAPTAIN!

Unfortunately I did pay over the odds for it, I'd rather not say on here the actual amount but I did pay more for this then my working bally vector :oops:
Was cheaper then a working hook though so Ive not gone completely insane :cuckoo: lol

Goin to pull the power board later. Will post up some pics :thumbs:

It's all about circumstances I guess. I moaned like hell about that TFTC that was local to me but the truth was that if i'd have had the cash in my pocket when I viewed then i'd probably have taken it off his hands. There's something really nice about taking a non-working machine or one which has been really badly battered and getting it back into a nice state.

That one actually doesn't look so bad. At least under playfield it looks relatively tidy and even the side art and armour is in relatively good condition. Playfield also looks fairly tidy which is probably the most important thing; but even if it had some damage it's not beyond the realms of being repaired.

Be really interested in reading this one as you progress. I have to say that a year spent on here learning means i'd be much more willing to take on a bigger challenge the next time around.

I'd rather have a working but grubby machine, my LW3 drove me mad but I got there in the end.

Also the girlfriend wasn't best pleased about all the time it took up.

Unfortunately I did pay over the odds for it, I'd rather not say on here the actual amount but I did pay more for this then my working bally vector :oops:
Was cheaper then a working hook though so Ive not gone completely insane :cuckoo: lol

Goin to pull the power board later. Will post up some pics :thumbs:
It's all personal choice, eh? Like @Wiredworm said, some of us just enjoy the challenge of resurrecting the dead. The buzz I got the first time I powered up PARAGON was spine-tingling after spending weeks fixing the PSU and MPU! Quite a thrill to know I'd rescued something from the breakers. You say you paid over-the-odds but you were willing to pay it so therefore you must be comfortable with that. Hopefully the purchase price plus spares'n'repairs won't be any more than a worker, but you'll have the satisfaction of a job well done and knowing exactly what condition it's in.

You must have been well chuffed when you popped open the cabinet and saw the insides! Looks pretty clean to me. I bet you were expecting corrosion, hacks, rust, missing boards plus assorted wildlife! The insides didn't look too bad through the coin door either. All looks very mendable.

Thread watched... waiting for updates... :D

lol, I actually like the Vector. Think for the age it has great play and rules.
I think I can get it to a reasonable standard within its upper estimate hopefully. Just like you have said I too enjoy saving a machine if possible and the reward when they boot up and play or at least half play a first game is priceless.

I was chuffed to say the least when I got the backbox open. All in all its actually looking much healthier then I first though. Sitting in the garage it just looked so far gone!

Now I'm no expert but I think this board has warmed up a little?

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2400_zpsf67a5bce.jpg

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2399_zps64d011dc.jpg

Plugs and sockets needed...

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2401_zpscf13f423.jpg

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2402_zps28d125f5.jpg

Under the board:

Yup deff got warm...

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2405_zps17fff09a.jpg

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2407_zps84761e11.jpg

i1263.photobucket.com_albums_ii631_deathrowr_DSCF2408_zps8bd68b87.jpg

Hot , hot, hot.
Being turned on all day from its past life didn't help matters.

Never mind all that deathrow - get the fuses out and amuse us by how many are over-rated. ;-)

Bonus points for doing a Luke Wells style video.....

It's certainly got a tad warm but hopefully it's repairable. If not there are thankfully some spares floating around on eBay or you could get a modern day replacement (although I appreciate those ain't cheap).

The replacement boards certainly iron out a multitude of problems and with being new will be trouble free for years to come.
Just win case you can't or don't feel like fixing the fire damage.

Never mind all that deathrow - get the fuses out and amuse us by how many are over-rated. ;-)

Bonus points for doing a Luke Wells style video.....

It's certainly got a tad warm but hopefully it's repairable. If not there are thankfully some spares floating around on eBay or you could get a modern day replacement (although I appreciate those ain't cheap).

Surprisingly what I've noticed lately (dunno about data east games) but a lot of the new improved boards are a darn sight cheaper than nos ones

I have looked at the rotten dog board. £75 by the time its with me. Not sure if thats the direction I want to go or not yet but they do look very snazzy!

Fuses are all the correct rating, Although one 5A is a household fuse. Sorry I'm far to 'Narfulk Boiy' to make a speaking video :rolleyes:

As its already hacked up and burnt I am going to have a play with it. Nothing to lose.
Pinball mania is going to sell me some lovely new connectors too :thumbs:

Noticed one of the transistors is mounted back to front :hmm: the back should be to the heat plate? Pic soon...

I have looked at the rotten dog board. £75 by the time its with me. Not sure if thats the direction I want to go or not yet but they do look very snazzy!

Fuses are all the correct rating, Although one 5A is a household fuse. Sorry I'm far to 'Narfulk Boiy' to make a speaking video :rolleyes:

As its already hacked up and burnt I am going to have a play with it. Nothing to lose.
Pinball mania is going to sell me some lovely new connectors too :thumbs:

Noticed one of the transistors is mounted back to front :hmm: the back should be to the heat plate? Pic soon...

Do you talk like Alan "ah ha" partridge then?

I bought a rottendog replacement PPB for my Phantom. After having loads of problems with the old original one.
Only good things to say about it., literally plug and play after having one problem after another with the old board.
And at £75 for a new board. Bargain.
Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

I
I bought a rottendog replacement PPB for my Phantom. After having loads of problems with the old original one.
Only good things to say about it., literally plug and play after having one problem after another with the old board.
And at £75 for a new board. Bargain.
Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

tis probably the right thing to do but I quite like fixing the old boards up.
The broken board owes me nowt for a repair.
when the wallet has recovered a little I will give it further consideration though.

Very clever bits of kit and it really shows how far components have come as the board almost looks empty!

Back
Top Bottom