What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creature from the Black Lagoon

K1ngArth3r

Registered
Alias
Tom-Tom
Finally bought my first Pinball machine, Creature from the Black Lagoon! I absolutely love it.

I have a couple of pieces of the playfield I'm going to replace and add some sidewall art to install which seems all straight forward. But what I'm not sure about I the ROM versions.

For the game ROM, I'm running 20018 REV. L-3 and for the sound REV. L-1 SY. 250 1-7-93

There seems to be a load of different sound ROMs but I cannot see anywhere that explains what each release changes or includes, does anyone have that information? Also, I see the latest official release for the game ROM is REV. L-4 but there seems to be some competition ROMs that have some major bug fixes. Which is the latest version of that and which should I install on my game?

IMG_1602.jpg

Congrats on your first game, and what a great choice.

Thank you, I have a very specific list of Pinballs I want and this was at the top of the list, I love the theme and music!

Thanks 👍

Sadly, the link only shows the officially released game ROM data and not the sound ROM release history. I appreciate the link though.

Good choice of pin. Forget the roms. Buy a pinsound board. Wools has a great mix for it!

I liked the idea of that, but heard it on a YouTube video and it spoils it for me a bit, I really love the original music that comes with the game.

Or a pin2dmd:

Or a Snackbar mod:

Or a (shameless plug) Chase Echo:
https://www.pinballinfo.com/communi...-chase-board-for-creech-prototype-pics.45929/

Enjoy the ride!

Thanks for making me want to spend more money :D The snack bar mod looks amazing!!

I would say that a Pin2dmd is the first thing I would get on that!

Do not go worrying about roms etc for now. You only need to replace the main eprom chip on the CPU board to get you to the latest code, and one eprom on the sound board to get you to the latest version. I can not remember without looking what the latest code is.....

@Paul one of the big bossmen here does eprom burning.

You can get side art blades from Retro refurbs here in the UK - but I would also consider mirror blades on this game.

The Pinsound thing is great fun, but if you do that - would recommend you change the sub and backbox speakers (so they are better quality and true stereo).

Congrats on your new game.

I'm undecided about the Pin2dmd, I like it for sure, but also like the original screen.

I would like to get the latest competition ROMs but not sure what the most current version of those are, I have the an EPROM programmer and I've ordered some M27C4001-12F1 chips from China. I have the following game ROM ready to burn:

Creature From The Black Lagoon U6 game ROM rev L-4 patch 8c6a.rom
SHA1: 688F6663C985B02550DF0C06CCD4B6F1EC32A38A

For the sound ROM, I'm not sure what the version updates do, nor have I checked if it's just one ROM or 3 (I see some sellers offer 3 ROMs for sale in one go).

I ordered the following sideboard decals already as I thought it carried over the theme of the table quite nicely (although the mirror blades do sound amazing).

pinblade_cftbl_mop.png

I really don't think the PinSound is for me, maybe its the packs used on the demonstrations, but much prefer the original sounds on this game (I like period correct stuff, with a bit of modern tech).

And thank you 👍

Last edited:
I do not think those are the correct eproms for your game.
You need a 4meg eprom
27c040 from memory....... been years since I burnt a chip
or 27c4001

A lot of chinese chips are fake as well.

Paul charges next to nothing for a chip.

Yep, I thought it best. I know most Pinballs are fun, but also know I'm going to be limited to how many I can actually fit in the games room. The list is made up of nostalgia from playing them back when, mixed with the games I like the theme / sound and features of.

I dare not write which games I want, just incase someone says "I've got one for sale" and I end up buying it!

Sound roms dont usually change from Release (Unless there was a proto sound rom kicking about, or someone created new ones!)... Game roms (Latest for this one) is L-4... Not sure if those are LED patched or not though from IPDB...

Sound roms dont usually change from Release (Unless there was a proto sound rom kicking about, or someone created new ones!)... Game roms (Latest for this one) is L-4... Not sure if those are LED patched or not though from IPDB...

Thanks, do you know anything about the competition ROMs?

Last edited:
Welcome from another CFTBL lover.
I have taken four years out and it is amazing how much more stuff our hobby has available, those side decals are amazing.
I keep thinking I should buy a colour display but realise the play field is where I am looking. And I agree, this game has good music and call outs as standard, I am not sure what better quality sound would give me.
What ever you choose to do, enjoying playing it is most important.

I'm undecided about the Pin2dmd, I like it for sure, but also like the original screen.

I would like to get the latest competition ROMs but not sure what the most current version of those are, I have the an EPROM programmer and I've ordered some M27C4001-12F1 chips from China. I have the following game ROM ready to burn:

Creature From The Black Lagoon U6 game ROM rev L-4 patch 8c6a.rom
SHA1: 688F6663C985B02550DF0C06CCD4B6F1EC32A38A

For the sound ROM, I'm not sure what the version updates do, nor have I checked if it's just one ROM or 3 (I see some sellers offer 3 ROMs for sale in one go).

I ordered the following sideboard decals already as I thought it carried over the theme of the table quite nicely (although the mirror blades do sound amazing).

View attachment 110947

I really don't think the PinSound is for me, maybe its the packs used on the demonstrations, but much prefer the original sounds on this game (I like period correct stuff, with a bit of modern tech).

And thank you 👍
Ohhhh! These are very nice. Where did you order them from? I hadn't seen them before. Have you installed them yet? Pics please.

Back
Top Bottom