What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete CFTBL Chase Echo | A new chase board for creech | New 50pcs 2024 run

stumblor

Site Supporter
Alias
Davey Price
Being on lockdown has meant a lot more time for pinball related projects, which is great, but it's also meant that some projects have to be sidelined until the right trade to opens up again. My creech rebuild, which is 95% done, has to wait until the powdercoater down the road opens back up again. While creech waits patiently for a sexy lockdown bar and leg combo, my attention has drifted onto other projects, like learning about the Arduino.

I only became aware of these things recently, when doing some research into building a Afterglow Nano. I had no idea what they were or what they did, but they looked like a device that could offer a really accessible way into microcontroller programming. I already knew how to code in C so it looked promising, but surely I would have to get dirty with address buses and crazy sh*t like that?

Fast forward a week or two and I was made aware of a new creech chase board that had been released. Looked fantastic, with loads of selectable patterns on a newly designed PCB. Seemed like it had a few drawbacks though (outside of the 200 quid price tag) - it wasn't specifically aimed at LEDs and so LEDOCD like fading was none existant.

So, I thought I'd have a crack at it myself.

Some of you may have seen the first attempt I posted a week or so ago. Since then I've managed to

* Get the Arduino to respond to chase on/off pulses from the live machine
* Coded sine, cosine and bell curve algos to manage the PWM fading and spin functionality (forward/reverse)
* Written 12 patterns that send different variables into the algos to achieve different lighting and spin fx
* Tested the breadboard on the bench and in the live machine
* Built out the PCB

Here are the patterns doing their thing on the bench (inc. loud child ambient background noise)

Here's v1 the PCB. Still a few changes to make like DIP switch selectable patterns, random/linear pattern selection. Oh and testing. :-/

Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 12.58.02.png

Hoping to sell these a bit further down the track so if interested let me know.

Best of pinball

https://www.bestofpinball.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=14267

Those ones are pink but they do purple too (and loads of other colours too, more than comets minis)

https://www.bestofpinball.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=14268

Bit of a word of warning though, they don't play nice with the original chase board. They don't pull enough power to turn the mosfets off, so some tend to stay lit when the chase is off.

Not a problem with my board though 😎

Cheers fellas. I know BOP has chase lights in the robot head so might be cool to look at that at some pont too. Other projects considered also.. But might leave the rave toasters to the experts @Gonzo

Absolutely, never tread on another mans turf. The illuminated toasters, microwave with mounted colorDMD and WPC strobe washing machines may well be 'patent pending' but I won't take kindly to anyone selling poor imitations. 😡

Spaghetti code muscle memory

The coding has been really fun actually. It's really impressive the amount of processing you can get out of these Arduino chips. I'm a new fan!

Whatever it may be, it certainly looks incredibly saucy . . . . you could eat your dinner off that mate.

And it has the artists signature too!!!! 😉

More Creech love. Interested in this.
I forgot how expensive it was to come onto this forum...

No worries mate I'll put you on the list, should be ready in a couple of weeks. Just ironing out the last few software niggles.

Intro price for pinfo members will be £99 so hopefully not too budget breaking. 👍

£100 here, £100 there, buy a pin, it will go up in value (never sell though).... :rolleyes:

I should ask questions about what I just bought.
Am I right that this replaces the original chase board with a new special one using an arduino and programmed to do new visuals?
Plug and play, nothing for the buyer to add and it will use the existing light right and light strip?

Yes this replaces the original chase board, and plugs in directly into the old connectors. Nothing additional required, it's plug n play. It uses the original chase lighting strips as output.

Here's a run down of the features..

* Arduino controlled lighting patterns
* PWM LED dimming (like an LED OCD, so no led flicker - or LEDs staying lit after the chase sequence which is a common problem)
* 14 different selectable patterns (each on/off selectable via DIP)
* Random or linear pattern progression (via DIP)
* Ramp/bowl patterns either linked or separate (via DIP)

Although it's designed for use with LEDs, I've done some preliminary testing with incandescents which was successful - the mosfet power section is very similar to the original board - but I'm planning on doing more thorough tests with this before they go out to confirm there are no issues.

The CHASE ECHO has been happily chasing in my machine for the last month now, so ready to start taking orders for anyone interested. Price is £99 shipped. These are all made by hand and to order, so please allow me a few days to do the work in between looking after (sternly talking to) the kids. Love em.

Music for the video kindly donated by the amazing Rumble-Os (www.facebook.com/rumble.os)

Although I don't expect any, if you have any problems or issues afterwards just get in touch and I'll sort it out.

@davro-one @replicas @Toxteth O'Grady @Calimori

Looks awesome mate , put me down for one. Which lamps did you install on the ramps and where From?

Looks awesome mate , put me down for one. Which lamps did you install on the ramps and where From?

Great, thanks for the support.

The leds are from best of pinball, pink in the swirl ramp and blue in the whirlpool.

The colours are great but they could be a bit more solid in the housing. Might depend a bit on how old your sockets are as when I swapped one of mine out that was broken the newer socket was a much better fit.

Back
Top Bottom