What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crash Course Electronics

Nice find! I've been meaning to learn more about all this for ages. Seems like its worth a punt at £13.99 so I have just signed up but I fear it will be yet another money drain on bits of hardware etc. I'll do a review of it in 103 hours' time!

^^^^Cheers fellas, yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I’ll need to buy i toolkit.
I need to square an IT exam away this month to refresh my CCNP then I’m gonna start this as well.
Always fancied electronics as it’s tinkering, more hands on and def handy for the pins 👍

When it comes to pcb software Altium all the way been using for years. You can use the free circuitMaker version if just playing with it / learning.

£59.99 for me, not sure why they are charging you more stumblor :p

LOL what you get for been Australian :p

Attachments

• 1599299769123.png
    1599299769123.png
    93.8 KB · Views: 16
Worth a punt at £14 cheaper than most decent text books. However, you can probably learn it all for £0 by using the web and youtube.

Electronics is multi-discipline, theory and circuit design mixed with practical experimentation. It always helps to have a project in mind, so you learn by making something practical. The "Hello World" of electronics is often lighting a LED, then getting it to flash, then getting a number of leds to light in turn........... There are plenty of 'starter electronics kits' out there and they're cheap to get you going.

Ive been doing stuff for year, only recently got into doing my own PCB's - thats a bit of a learning curve but fun - but not recommended until you know the basics. I'm using the free version of Eagle. It's pretty cool. I am using jlcpcb.com to make the boards.

Arduino stuff then comes after the basics - this mixes in programming to interface with your electronics.

I am happy to help anyone who is interested.

I’ve just signed up so will be doing this when time allows.
Always fancied it, as hobby - find it fascinating 👍
My job as an IT Field Engineer is a snooze fest😴😴😴

Nothing wrong with learning some theory :) But always make sure you do practical experiments on breadboard/vero board etc. Nothing beats real world scenarios.

Also to add to the info above electronics is usually split into 2 main areas/disciplines.

1) Digital electronics
2) Analogue electronics

The view is that you can be and expert in 1 or the other but not both! Not sure if i believe that really, but i am more of fan of digital myself. You need a grasp of both for pinball and arcade repair or making your own boards etc

In the context of pinball and arcade games, sound boards are a good example of both disciplines used together. Cpu and driver boards are digital

I'm looking forward to seeing what new products people come up with :) as making your own stuff can be very rewarding.

If you do get into it more then the next challenge after pcb layout is parts sourcing and assembly. A whole other area and ball game!!

In terms of books. I still think this book i got some 35 years ago when i was a lad is good for theory when starting out, though i've no idea if you can still get it!!

IMG_7573.JPGIMG_7574.JPG

True. But for 13.99 even if it teaches you how to calculate resistor values it'd be worthwhile.

Back in my day we learnt a song at college on how to remember the resistor colour codes, I still remember it now, but expect they don't teach the same song now :)

Back
Top Bottom