What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cost Effective CCTV. High Definition. Any Suggestions Pls ?

DRD

Registered
I need a cheap CCTV for rapid installation. Will be mounted on the brick wall of a storage unit

Having problems with fly tippers at night

Just want to install in a building, record to a HDD. The unit itself is not connected to broadband. I don't know whether I could add a smartphone to the system to make it appear on the web ?

It needs sufficient nighttime resolution to identify the culprits.

Any suggestions gratefully received, thank you.

Bushnell wildlife cam. Activated by PIR and records video and takes stills on activation. It will text you on movement.

I would consider looking at systems with a separate PIR floodlight. In my experience with Hikvision cameras they are almost always obscured by spider webs, compromising night footage considerably and particularly motion detection.

I have Hikvision and it works really well. You have to be careful that you get Legit cameras from the correct region, however once you have that then they are really good - Install and forget until needed.

I would consider looking at systems with a separate PIR floodlight. In my experience with Hikvision cameras they are almost always obscured by spider webs, compromising night footage considerably and particularly motion detection.

This for sure.
I bought a cheap set by a company called annke last year (amazon)
SUPER cheap and so far so good..

We're having problems with a gang of teenagers smashing cars up late at night so I've got a load of these. They record to SD card and you can also subscribe to cloud recording if needed. Very happy with them for the money.
Veroyi Outdoor Security Camera 1080P Wi-Fi Home Surveillance Camera Waterproof Bullet Camera with IR Night Vision Motion Detection 2-Way Audio Remote Monitor https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QBNM7SY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_nhXlEbWAAE7PX

Just this last week I installed a 16 channel Reolink NVR and 16 RLC-410 cameras on one of our sites. For the cost it was the results are fantastic! 8 cameras outside and 8 inside, the quality is great.

We're having problems with a gang of teenagers smashing cars up late at night so I've got a load of these. They record to SD card and you can also subscribe to cloud recording if needed. Very happy with them for the money.
Veroyi Outdoor Security Camera 1080P Wi-Fi Home Surveillance Camera Waterproof Bullet Camera with IR Night Vision Motion Detection 2-Way Audio Remote Monitor https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QBNM7SY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_nhXlEbWAAE7PX
Just had look at these, do they need wireless to work or can they function as a standalone device with the SD card?
I assume they're mains powered?

Just had chat with my elderly neighbour who earlier today was visited by 3 young lads claiming his roof needs doing etc - convinced him to go to the bank, fortunately the bank figured out what was going on and called the police
Obviously he was a bit shaken up and I was thinking I might install something for him for piece of mind and to get footage should they or someone else like them return - problem is he doesn't have an internet connection so all the cloud based stuff is a non-starter

The reolink ones take sdcards and they. Ow do chargeable ones. The quality is superb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just had look at these, do they need wireless to work or can they function as a standalone device with the SD card?
I assume they're mains powered?

Just had chat with my elderly neighbour who earlier today was visited by 3 young lads claiming his roof needs doing etc - convinced him to go to the bank, fortunately the bank figured out what was going on and called the police
Obviously he was a bit shaken up and I was thinking I might install something for him for piece of mind and to get footage should they or someone else like them return - problem is he doesn't have an internet connection so all the cloud based stuff is a non-starter

There seems to be a crime epidemic at the moment. I think I might move to a desert island.

I'll double check for you in a minute. You need to set them up on a router or wifi hotspot but I think you should then be able to run them direct to SD card without being connected to the router. But yes they need mains power. You will probably need a 10m mains extension cable for it too. Give me a sec to check...

The reolink ones take sdcards and they. Ow do chargeable ones. The quality is superb.

Neil

What models/mega pixels would you recommend for outside with IR?

My old Y Cams are showing their age...

Regards

Ian

Offline is not a problem.
Nice one 👍 thanks for that - looks pretty much spot on, I'll figure out a way to route power to it and it can sit up high and do its thing, should footage be required I can either get the card out or get close to it with a laptop or something.

Nice one 👍 thanks for that - looks pretty much spot on, I'll figure out a way to route power to it and it can sit up high and do its thing, should footage be required I can either get the card out or get close to it with a laptop or something.

No worries. You should probably put up a sign. I think there's regulations on that. People need to be able to contact you to get a copy of the footage for data protection type stuff. You can charge a fee for this if it ever happens.

There seems to be a crime epidemic at the moment. I think I might move to a desert island.
I'm smarter than this, I keep telling myself, but clearly not...
...it's utterly inevitable, considering the politics of the last, well, decade or so! Police numbers etc!

...sorry, I'll behave myself in future. Politics is not a clever topic for a pinball forum!

I'm smarter than this, I keep telling myself, but clearly not...
...it's utterly inevitable, considering the politics of the last, well, decade or so! Police numbers etc!

...sorry, I'll behave myself in future. Politics is not a clever topic for a pinball forum!

Yep, police numbers but also soft parenting. Social media, particularly Snapchat also seems to propogate a lot of it with teenagers documenting their vandalism sprees as a badge of honour and competition. Its a perfect storm.

Yep, police numbers but also soft parenting. Social media, particularly Snapchat also seems to propogate a lot of it with teenagers documenting their vandalism sprees as a badge of honour and competition. Its a perfect storm.
Eh, I'm less sure of that. I think high-connectivity is just making it easier for us to see what's going on - and that's true at so many different levels nowadays that I don't think people realise just how extreme the effect has been, and we may only realise it in hindsight. I still believe the classic approaches reduce crime - and the inverse of those, increases crime. Parental responsibility is a factor but it's also a lag effect, having more to do with education and family finances than a lot of other factors - I'm not a huge fan of 'moral failings' as a root cause.

...so much for me trying to behave

Eh, I'm less sure of that. I think high-connectivity is just making it easier for us to see what's going on - and that's true at so many different levels nowadays that I don't think people realise just how extreme the effect has been, and we may only realise it in hindsight. I still believe the classic approaches reduce crime - and the inverse of those, increases crime. Parental responsibility is a factor but it's also a lag effect, having more to do with education and family finances than a lot of other factors - I'm not a huge fan of 'moral failings' as a root cause.

Who knows. One thing I can tell you is the Police don't want to do anything even if you have names and CCTV footage. Even if there are a lot of you with CCTV and the same names. I had a surprisingly civilised and friendly chat with one of the mothers this morning so hopefully that will be an end to it.

Last edited:

Hmm that’s convenient - it’s everybody else’s fault I did this crime?! No it’s absolutely not.

We are in danger of veering into politics but lazy parenting with no sense of consequences and then boom something very bad happens and like a stabbing and it’s like “oh I’m in jail now”.

Just this last week I installed a 16 channel Reolink NVR and 16 RLC-410 cameras on one of our sites. For the cost it was the results are fantastic! 8 cameras outside and 8 inside, the quality is great.
OMG sounds like the big brother show on C4 maybe do a 24/7 livestream and monetise it :rofl:

The sad state of affairs is you have to spend a lot of money on cameras to catch people fly tipping.

A friend of mine who lives nr Worcester/Evesham has presented the police and council footage/stills on cds/memory sticks/old fashioned paper on 4 occasions.

They do NOTHING!

Yep. They won't even look at. But you can't install a Police State unless the people begin to beg for it. Facial recognition cams going up in London now.

Hmm that’s convenient - it’s everybody else’s fault I did this crime?! No it’s absolutely not.
Not what I said. Shades of grey not black and white. People seem to assume that if you favour a different shade of grey you're secretly an extremist. Or that if you believe the picture is more complicated than the simplistic view people have, they think you're deliberately trying to be confusing and are somehow gaming people into supporting your 'real' simple explanation through trickery. Now that's lazy.

Last edited:
Crime at the moment is out of control. Can't believe how many incidents I have caught on my camera's since they were installed. My 4MP camera's are great during the day, but the night vision is not great. Have seen footage from a neighbour's camera that do colour in low light at night time and the quality is great, but he doesn't know the details of the systems and what camera's they are. Looking to upgrade mine at some point and would like to get ones with improved image quality and in colour at night. Any suggestions?

Have you tried the directional line cross facility instead of standard motion detection?
I’ve got it set up on my Hikvision system - works every-time 👍

Back
Top Bottom