What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coronavirus - Letter in Today's Daily Telegraph

Hope you and your family are well/recovering and not the subject of the latest news flash?

All the best,

Tim

We’re good now Tim, I really appreciate the concern.

My lungs are still sore but getting progressively better. It looks like me wearing a CPAP nightly might have done some good given that appears to be the new treatment prior to intubation.

Glad to hear you‘re on the road to recovery (and presumably so is the rest of your family).

Had to look up what a CPAP was.

Hopefully this now means that you have all built up immunity against future infections. There’s been very little mentioned so far about whether people who have recovered will be allowed out sooner than others.

My lungs are still sore but getting progressively better. It looks like me wearing a CPAP nightly might have done some good given that appears to be the new treatment prior to intubation.

I tried to get on with the CPAP machine but really couldn't, compressor blowing air at my airways all night + the sound of the thing running x having the sound of a vacuum cleaner hose everytime I moved a muscle. Nope. Still if I had one of these I'd give it another go.
https://boingboing.net/2019/01/30/in-space-no-one-can-hear-you-s.html

screenshot-128.jpgscreenshot-131.jpg

I tried to get on with the CPAP machine but really couldn't, compressor blowing air at my airways all night + the sound of the thing running x having the sound of a vacuum cleaner hose everytime I moved a muscle. Nope. Still if I had one of these I'd give it another go.
https://boingboing.net/2019/01/30/in-space-no-one-can-hear-you-s.html

View attachment 104593View attachment 104592

Ha! That’s a better fit mask!

I hear you on the faff with CPAP. I used to have to travel with my job and had a weekly argument with over zealous border officials thinking I was smuggling a bomb or something. I was constantly packing or unpacking it and carting it about.

All the above said, I’ve worn it every night for the past 5 years or so. It’s a choice between the noise (which seems minimal after some time) and waking up choking, covered in sweat, heart pumping every couple of minutes.
The relief of having something approaching a normal nights sleep after decades of insomnia was quite something.

I went through 3 types of mask before finding one that fitted me properly. I ended up using the nasal pillows which are quite unobtrusive. The larger ones made me feel like I was an extra in some low budget space movie.

Maybe I should have tried giving it a go longer then. While I was diagnosed with sleep apnea I'm still sceptical about its accuracy.

I'm glad you find it beneficial though.
In bed no-one can hear you snore
;)

Hi all,
I've had Covid now since Saturday 29th March, it has a been a pretty awful week, but finally starting to feel a bit better today, it's a well weird infection but it hasn't been as bad as when I last had the flu. I started off feeling really weak and cold, had a temperature of 38.8C, and then really couldn't do much. Anyway I hope everyone else is well and coping ok.

Hi all,
I've had Covid now since Saturday 29th March, it has a been a pretty awful week, but finally starting to feel a bit better today, it's a well weird infection but it hasn't been as bad as when I last had the flu. I started off feeling really weak and cold, had a temperature of 38.8C, and then really couldn't do much. Anyway I hope everyone else is well and coping ok.
Good to know you’re recovering - must be quite a scary thing to catch given the media noise surrounding it.

My mum's best friend died of it yesterday, this thing is serious and all this talk of herd immunity etc is complete b***ocks imo

This Covid plague is throwing out a multi dimensional optimisation that noone can answer with any degree of accuracy.

I have an economics degree. Economics is too complicated for anyone to understand. You get it right sometimes, you get it wrong sometimes.

The epidemic/ plague modellers do not agree. Their lack of precision and consistency reminds me of economics modellers. Oxford University and Imperial College London say radically different things.

Save the NHS/ save everyone means shrinking the economy. But noone knows how badly or what the longer term implications are.

Let it rip means killing people. But noone knows how many people.

The Scottish Chief Medical Officer seems to have her version of the answer though. A bit like the "free rider" theory in economics. Tell folk to stay at home, but feel free to visit your own holiday home an hour away ...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...flouting-lockdown-advice-catherine-calderwood

A mate of mine lives in Poland where they closed their borders and completely locked everything down (no exercising etc) when we still had pubs and restaurants open. Their infection rate is 10 / 100k population. Ours is 6 x higher and rising at a rate of knots. It's not easy over there, most live in tower blocks and the police are everywhere, but arguably it's no pain no gain if you want to beat this nightmare!

Thanks for the goodwill guys, am hoping that now i'm on day 8 I should have broke its back, I would love to know where I caught it, I had been really careful even donning a mask at Sainsbury's when no-one else was wearing one!
I must be feeling a bit better because i'm starting to feel like working on a pinball!

Hope you get well soon Lee, it's a real worry that you've caught it after being extra careful. Are you recorded in the official stats or have you self isolated and recovered without NHS help?

Thanks for the goodwill guys, am hoping that now i'm on day 8 I should have broke its back, I would love to know where I caught it, I had been really careful even donning a mask at Sainsbury's when no-one else was wearing one!
I must be feeling a bit better because i'm starting to feel like working on a pinball!

Masks won’t help you avoid catching the virus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi all,
Good to know you are now on the road to recovery.
Take care everyone .

Masks won’t help you avoid catching the virus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Loads of variables as to why @General Zod was unfortunate enough to catch the virus. Glad your getting well and on the mend, scary stuff 👍
Neil, with respect, you come across as something of an Enigma. You are categorising all masks.....
Certain masks / respirators with the correct P3 - N95 rating wore correctly with other PPE is effectively better than no protection at all. In fact, I don’t think you need to be a PhD to work this out. It’s kinda common sense......The NHS and 1st line teams are dawning this equipment as it’s rated to offer some protection. It was proven in 2003, think tanks reflective post SARS outbreak......
What overwhelming proof do you have to contradict this?
Have you ever entered an NBC chamber with chemical gas and taken a few deep breaths? With a fit for purpose respirator you will have no side affects....
Take the mask off and repeat, see what happens.....
The correct respirator/ mask wore correctly with other PPE does offer protection.

Wrong mask, wore incorrectly with no other PPE or poor avoidance techniques then that’s a different story.

Loads of variables as to why @General Zod was unfortunate enough to catch the virus. Glad your getting well and on the mend, scary stuff 👍
Neil, with respect, you come across as something of an Enigma. You are categorising all masks.....
Certain masks / respirators with the correct P3 - N95 rating wore correctly with other PPE is effectively better than no protection at all. In fact, I don’t think you need to be a PhD to work this out. It’s kinda common sense......The NHS and 1st line teams are dawning this equipment as it’s rated to offer some protection. It was proven in 2003, think tanks reflective post SARS outbreak......
What overwhelming proof do you have to contradict this?
Have you ever entered an NBC chamber with chemical gas and taken a few deep breaths? With a fit for purpose respirator you will have no side affects....
Take the mask off and repeat, see what happens.....
The correct respirator/ mask wore correctly with other PPE does offer protection.

Wrong mask, wore incorrectly with no other PPE or poor avoidance techniques then that’s a different story.

wearing a mask will make no difference to catching this.

You will catch this unless you completely cover every part of your body and go through decontamination procedure upon removal. So no matter what mask you wear it will do jack **** if you don't cover the rest of your body, and even if you do and your PPE is contaminated you are likely to get it. The reason there is a shortage of PPE isn't because there isn't a lot of it in the country, its because its disposed of super regularly.

There are too many clowns thinking that their mask (or the real ****heads with their scarves or hoodies) gives them protection and the evidence doesn't support this.

but if wearing your mask makes you feel good -- knock yourself out!

Cheers,
Neil.

I call bs.

The won’t stop you catching the virus, but they will help you avoid it either directly or indirectly.

Directly by reducing the ‘viral load’ you may inhale or indirectly by others using them and stopping the spread.
I agree, I'm no expert but I feel a good well fitted mask could help avoid contamination, problem for most is getting hold of them. I managed to get a 3M dust mask respirator from Toolstation 3 weeks ago, it was the last one available - the missus isn't impressed, she thinks I look like Hannibal in it but frankly I don't give a s---t !! Starting to get paranoid now - even the supermarket shopping and post go into quarantine before being touched 😷😷😷😷
Chinese got a lot to answer for!
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...19-and-its-apparent-cover-up-attempt-11966539

Steve,
which filter cartridge is in your mask and how often are you changing it?

Neil.

Hope you get well soon Lee, it's a real worry that you've caught it after being extra careful. Are you recorded in the official stats or have you self isolated and recovered without NHS help?

Thanks Steve, I'm not in the official stats, I just self isolated once I was pretty sure I had caught it, and have been living on potato waffles and bagels the last week when I could eat! I hope you're well, I know the mask issue is advised by some and poopooed by others but I really thought it would help, probably looks like it hasn't!
Am really grateful for the sympathetic words from everyone, just to say I hope you and your families all stay well, I think we'll all be glad when this ones over, let's just hope next year we don't face COVID 20!

Any decent health related advice considers a multitude of factors, including stupidity and moral hazard.

Whether a mask works or not is driven by loads of factors ....

How good is the mask to start with ?
How well fitted is it ?
What condition is it in?
Does wearing it change behaviour (take more chances, wearer with dirty hands fiddling with it ? ...)
If folk advised to wear masks, will it reduce supply to health workers ?
Will folk who think they have it, feel able to go to Tesco to buy lager because they have a mask on ?

If you have a decent mask and you use it properly it surely has to reduce the risk of you being infected

A Dr I know told mr that govt advice on alcohol and health was not just about alcoholism and liver damage... it also factored in thinks like the risk folk injured themselves whilst drunk

Thanks Steve, I'm not in the official stats, I just self isolated once I was pretty sure I had caught it, and have been living on potato waffles and bagels the last week when I could eat! I hope you're well, I know the mask issue is advised by some and poopooed by others but I really thought it would help, probably looks like it hasn't!
Am really grateful for the sympathetic words from everyone, just to say I hope you and your families all stay well, I think we'll all be glad when this ones over, let's just hope next year we don't face COVID 20!
Cheers Lee, you take care mate! It looks like the infection stats are massively understated. We have friends in Solihull, they also caught it but self isolated and got through it OK without a trip to hospital.

Back
Top Bottom