What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Classified discussions - Yes or No?

Should Site Classifieds keep a "discussion" field, or remove it altogether?

• Yes- Keep the discussion part and put up with any comments on Price discussions

Votes: 151 91.5%
  • No - Remove the discussion part and force all discussions Via PM

Votes: 14 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

James

Site Supporter
Alias
James
Whilst it looks great if I was to put something up that was well out - I would want people to tell me - hey you are being ambitious, is it at the discretion of the seller if comments are on or off?

I would expect that if the price was too high (for example) then the seller wouldnt get any bites, and could then amend the price.

True, but we'd also miss great discussions such as the legendary Bally Theatre Machine - now they were some great comments.

Anyway OP - GLWS :)

If I was buying a pin off anyone on here I'd love to know if it's being flipped and someone is making a quick profit from me..
Good to see people are watching out and warning if proposed sales are a rip-off.
Not commenting on this sale just in general.

Payed more than that, and it’s up to me what I do with it. People are allowed to sell things for profit!
He listed it for a price, I payed for it, so he ca n just lump it
I totally agree. But if I buy a Mars bar from Bob in my local shop for 50p. I don't try and sell it back to him the next day for a quid.
Know your audience and this forum isn't it. People are clued up here.
Perhaps a Rolling stones fan page?

End of the day things need saying, you can't come on to a forum full of pinheads and expect to sell it at eBay prices. Not going to happen. Probably best to adjust the price accordingly or pitch it on Gumtree/eBay.

It's been on ebay for a while

I really don't think locking For Sale threads is a good idea. I think challenge and transparency is really important.

Locking for sale threads is a bad idea imo. Putting up with a little price questioning or general questioning is worth it for transparency. Not only that trusted and more informed members can help protect newer/less experienced pinheads from paying 4 grand for Mick on a stick from a very questionable seller

Locking for sale threads is a bad idea imo. Putting up with a little price questioning or general questioning is worth it for transparency. Not only that trusted and more informed members can help protect newer/less experienced pinheads from paying 4 grand for Mick on a stick from a very questionable seller

For what it's worth, I very much agree - I think that by posting an item for sale on a forum you are implicitly consenting to some degree of discussion, and I also believe that warning others against sellers such as this individual and their wildly overpriced items actually does the pinball community a service.

None of us would like to see someone without much knowledge get ripped off on their first machine and be put off the hobby for good, nor would we wish to end up in that situation ourselves. Why not try to prevent that from happening?

Edit: On second thought, by banning discussion on these posts it could be argued that this site is complicit in assisting members rip off other members. Not from a legal standpoint of course but certainly morally. Discussion is healthy.

I also immediately get suspicious of people using multiple EBay accounts

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Totally agree Sarge - especially when the person in question has at least 3 different accounts/id's, one of them being a business, and over the years has changed id name at least 29 times, maybe 28 as one has been used twice!! :rolleyes:

REMEMBER - IF SOMETHING IS PRICED TOO HIGH IT JUST WONT SELL, so will find it's natural level anyway :)
I disagree, the vast majority of us recommend people to come on here and buy their first machine, rather than Ebay or Gumtree, etc. as it is a trusted place. Those kind of people don't have any pricing knowledge so will likely pay what is being asked or very close to.

If we can't at the very least comment on sales, or those people selling, we will quickly turn into something like Ebay, Gumtree, Pinside even, with machines being listed over the odds, then pulled if they don't sell, then relisted, ad infinitum until they do sell to a noob or someone desperate - other people will then quote that sale as 'the price' of said machine - pushing the prices up.

Not on the ad itself, but you can link a topic to an ad - that's where the discussion is.

It's a tricky one.

I have 2 bugbears

Firstly - members with no horse in the race throwing in their price opinion based on their personal dislike of a title. We all like different games, different people will pay different prices for a particular title - it is their choice. We all enjoy voicing our opinions, just don't do it on other members sale threads.

Secondly - once a price discussion starts it can very quickly spiral to all sorts of off topic nonsense. Annoying for the seller.

Can we have a 'should for sale ads be locked or not' thread please? We're breaking our own rules discussing it here...

EDIT - now we do, this one... ;)

Last edited:
I should add that most Sales threads are actually drama free and everyone comes out happy on the other side.

Group hug soldiers! [emoji16]

Yeah exactly. Not only that for every negative comment there's 5 positive comments that might help the seller and buyer along

I should add that most Sales threads are actually drama free and everyone comes out happy on the other side.

Group hug soldiers! [emoji16]

100% Agree - so when something is bull - we call bull... also on your point @Sgt GrizZ - people saying what there personal opinion is are usually well out, like I wouldn't pay £3k for a TAF, yeah well the market will so - that's clearly not the case, those kinda comments don't add value, but do make good reading.

Secondly, discussion bumps to the top, so that's all good.

My tuppence on this: I understand the need for balance. I do think there should be a separate price field for ease.

However, I do feel people should be able to comment. 1. It often provides provenance to the machine even if the seller is unaware
2. New joiners are unsolicited, so banning discussion means that individuals with no skin in the game and no community spirit can take the pi**. I think we all largely sign up for the community, and that is this spirit of the forum
3. Why do we force a price? I think it's because it isn't eBay, but is a community forum. I think we lose quite a lot of that if we don't allow commentary.
4. There are occasionally some pretty crappy comments posted though. Members should be able to refrain from this, but admin guidance is always required on such forums. Why not allow these to be redacted by admins (I realise that there may be an overhead with this). That said most comments are positive and I for one welcome them. The view is generally balanced enough to not detract (whilst still defending from the odd trier like this guy).

I think we lose what the forum is about if we don't allow this. It won't just affect noobs but others also.

FWIW.

M

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Hi all,

Have been looking at the Classifieds section and working on a revamp. Currently we have a scenario where some people decide they want to comment on the price. We also are in the situation where others believe this is wrong and price and other discussions are Taboo.

In True Brexit fashion (Sorry i couldnt resist!), this is a ONE TIME vote. Majority carries (unless there is some operational reason why it cant be done!)

Things to remember here....

1. Any discussion part is separated from the Sale item, like here - so you dont HAVE TO read the discussion when you view the item :

2. If no discussion people may well be unaware of any potential Scams (Much like the recent thread here : https://www.pinballinfo.com/communi...ne-stern-2012-perfect-condition-£3-950.42448/ )

3. If there is discussion, people need to be aware that flipping and prices WILL no doubt form part of that conversation in some threads ( I am not prepared as part of a moderating team for us to have to moderate sale threads because someone has dared to ask why this has been flipped, or why that person is asking £20k for a TAF! - if it's worth that money then the OP should be able to justify this).

Photos WILL be required as part of the listing. As per usual with this place, No charges for listing, and donations after successful sale are greatly appreciated, since that is the single BIGGEST thing that keeps the site running.

Poll for 7 Days to ensure we capture all those that visit regularly. Yes you can amend your Vote if you change your mind. Only one Vote per person.

i also dislike the other side of this which is machine x ammount, and then freinds i presume with, oh my god how is this still here , wow thats an awesome price, when i know lots are saying to themselves that is way at the top end,

the above happens all the time on here, and i have been very tempted to put a messaage saying no its no bargain, but refrain because the seller will then maybe suffer.

e.g there are a couple on right now with that happening,

Other suggestion regarding for sale threads

Make it that users can only post a For Sale thread after becoming 'verified'. That could be no. of posts, length of time as a member.

Another option, although it may be too much work for the mods:
All for sale posts need authorising before they become public.

I'm not suggesting that mods price police, but they could be checking :
a) a price is actually posted - rather than some kind of fishing for best price
b i) genuine pictures are included, rather than a link such as "here's the thread when I bought it",
b ii) and should include various 'compulsory pics' such as under playfield, inside backbox, side art, etc.
c) the user is a genuine user, with a history. Not just a new user who's only post is a for sale thread.

i also dislike the other side of this which is machine x ammount, and then freinds i presume with, oh my god how is this still here , wow thats an awesome price, when i know lots are saying to themselves that is way at the top end,

Corr it's a slippery old system this pinball buying and selling isn't it. :/

Back
Top Bottom