What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central London: Arcade Opening September 1st: Brunswick Centre (Russell Suare Tube)

More building work, than planned, has been necessary + delays in arrival of equipment . Will let you know when open.

I haven't had the opportunity to play JP2 yet - so, am looking forwards to the opportunity to do that!

Hey, everyone,

So, I went down today with Gary to the Brunswick Arcade, and spent about an hour there.

Huge thanks, Gary, for being such a gent and making me feel so welcome. Also, for giving me the satisfaction of beating a twice World Champion (retired) at JP2 and The Beatles 🥰

The venue is still being worked on, especially the toilet/guest/cloakroom areas, but there are currently six Stern pinball machines installed. Most of them are Premiums and NIB (or, rather, freshly out of box).

I’ve taken a photo of The Mandalorian, as I’m sure many of you will be excited to see one of these in the wild.

839D9DF3-01B2-4312-B72B-37879604B519.jpeg

4D8F0348-FB41-4769-96C1-506E75892087.jpeg

9C861B15-3BB2-4CBE-827C-7B9C882379F8.jpeg

That pricing makes no sense to me (the second band is just double the first one!) and it is also not in line with everyone else.
I was just quoting what was stuck to the machines. We didn't pay when I attended the venue.

Chief Coffee is IIRC £1 a game, 3 for £2 and even then I spend about £10 an hour playing - they're pretty new Sterns too, as well as some classics. There is absolutely no way I would pay £20 an hour to play pinball, and I suspect I'm the target market! I agree with Neil on this one. Also, the general public would be probably fuming paying £2 for a single game considering 98% don't know how to play the game. Just the other day, I was out playing and saw two guys give up on a JP because they couldn't work out how to put two players on it - the average person doesn't have the patience to learn pinball, particularly not at £2 a pop!

Chief Coffee is IIRC £1 a game, 3 for £2 and even then I spend about £10 an hour playing - they're pretty new Sterns too, as well as some classics. There is absolutely no way I would pay £20 an hour to play pinball, and I suspect I'm the target market! I agree with Neil on this one. Also, the general public would be probably fuming paying £2 for a single game considering 98% don't know how to play the game. Just the other day, I was out playing and saw two guys give up on a JP because they couldn't work out how to put two players on it - the average person doesn't have the patience to learn pinball, particularly not at £2 a pop!
One of the disadvantages of new Sterns is that the desire for complex code from home buyers makes the games less accessible to casual players onsite.

I played four games of JP2 before I started getting shots regularly, which is £3-4 before you can do anything except brick.

It's really noticeable with my four year old, who can knock up high scores regularly on Space Shuttle on iPad, but who is only just beginning to understand how to start modes on Lord of the Rings, which we've had in the house for several weeks now. It is also seriously off-putting having to read tightly-spaced text for how to play the game.

One of the disadvantages of new Sterns is that the desire for complex code from home buyers makes the games less accessible to casual players onsite.

I played four games of JP2 before I started getting shots regularly, which is £3-4 before you can do anything except brick.

It's really noticeable with my four year old, who can knock up high scores regularly on Space Shuttle on iPad, but who is only just beginning to understand how to start modes on Lord of the Rings, which we've had in the house for several weeks now. It is also seriously off-putting having to read tightly-spaced text for how to play the game.

shots and code aren’t related. If you can’t get the shots it doesn’t matter what code the game is running - hell it could be in switch test mode.

shots and code aren’t related. If you can’t get the shots it doesn’t matter what code the game is running - hell it could be in switch test mode.
Okay. If I delete the line abut JP2, it makes more sense, i.e:

It's really noticeable with my four year old, who can knock up high scores regularly on Space Shuttle on iPad, but who is only just beginning to understand how to start modes on Lord of the Rings, which we've had in the house for several weeks now. [New Sterns have similarly complex programming]. It is also seriously off-putting having to read tightly-spaced text for how to play the game.

I’m sorry, the Bally/Williams era games were a lot more accessible to casual players because the code was simpler. The simple code, designed to attract people who walk up and play casually (and a result of technical limitations of the era), is one of the reasons why I was told, by various people, that they weren’t suitable for long-term home play.

Hi All

Was So excited when I found this thread and can't wait for it to open, I love going to support anywhere that has pinball, was at Flipp Out & Chief Coffee last week all have fantastic machines. I think I have joined all here and become a total addict and I don't want to be cured or go to self-help yet. Neil that's an impressive collection especially love the Defender picture on the wall another classic for me. I do hope it's not long now Gary as for me my first game will be JP. Happy to help with any pre-opening testing :cool:

I get to Flip Out every time I can (2 or 3 times a month) but only weekend openings make this hard at times. I’m at Chiefs also about 2 or 3 times per month but a more central London location would make it so easy for me to get there. Hopefully there’s a place to securely lock a bike. Also, my ten penneth on pricing - I would not pay more than £2 for 3 games. A tenner generally keeps me going for at least an hour on a machine I know reasonably well. Looking forward to hearing about the formal opening date

Back
Top Bottom