What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cabinet Decals

David Stephens

Registered
I have been looking at cabinet decals and trying to find out what the difference is in quality between silkscreened, next gen and now I have seen next gen 2+.
Can someone enlighten please.

This is something that I'm wanting to do on one of my pins but also don't know where to go for them. I've seen some for sale on Retro Refurbs so perhaps @PeteB could enlighten us a bit, I think his are next gen decals.

I remember reading a thread before about decals on ebay from Eastern Europe but don't recall the full story.

I got my DW one's from pinball pt, they are good quality and laminated over the print but I find this laminate marks easily! as in fine surface scratches.

I have been looking at cabinet decals and trying to find out what the difference is in quality between silkscreened, next gen and now I have seen next gen 2+.
Can someone enlighten please.

I've seen some for sale on Retro Refurbs so perhaps @PeteB could enlighten us a bit, I think his are next gen decals.

Ok so silkscreen is a process of applying the artwork directly to wood (or other surfaces) in different layers, one for each colour, I don't know why anyone would silkscreen on self adhesive vinyl decals though.

As for decals themselves the term nextgen I think is just something Planetary came up with to describe their protective coating. It's only lamination that has UV protection.

With the decals I'm selling, we're trying to offer the best quality possible. So that means using good quality solvent inks on the best self adhesive vinyl we can find, which is usually the 3M stuff. It's also laminated with UV protection. Now, here's a major difference - as far as I'm aware we are the only ones offering people a choice between GLOSS lamination or MATT lamination, which just has a very soft sheen. Standard decals are usually glossy, but if you look at my Revenge From Mars restoration I used matt decals. I generally prefer glossy though.

Take a look here: http://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop-cat/pinball-cabinet-decals/

I have around 65 listed at the moment, but still have around 40 sets to add yet. The website is nowhere near finished. If you want to order anything, use 10pinballinfo for a 10% discount at the checkout. That code is only for use by people on this forum! :)

I wish I had known of yours before I bought my DW set last year! as I would have bought yours for sure

Ok so silkscreen is a process of applying the artwork directly to wood (or other surfaces) in different layers, one for each colour, I don't know why anyone would silkscreen on self adhesive vinyl decals though.

As for decals themselves the term nextgen I think is just something Planetary came up with to describe their protective coating. It's only lamination that has UV protection.

With the decals I'm selling, we're trying to offer the best quality possible. So that means using good quality solvent inks on the best self adhesive vinyl we can find, which is usually the 3M stuff. It's also laminated with UV protection. Now, here's a major difference - as far as I'm aware we are the only ones offering people a choice between GLOSS lamination or MATT lamination, which just has a very soft sheen. Standard decals are usually glossy, but if you look at my Revenge From Mars restoration I used matt decals. I generally prefer glossy though.

I have around 65 listed at the moment, but still have around 40 sets to add yet. The website is nowhere near finished. If you want to order anything, use 10pinballinfo for a 10% discount at the checkout. That code is only for use by people on this forum! :)
Thanks for all that Pete, I'll make sure I contact you before Rosie get a going over.

I wish I had known of yours before I bought my DW set last year! as I would have bought yours for sure

Well it's a new venture that I've just started with so didn't have them available last year. Give me a shout if you need anything in future though. :thumbs:

Thanks for all that Pete, I'll make sure I contact you before Rosie get a going over.

Awesome! I also have Party Zone decals in case you do that one too haha ;)

Thanks Pete. It was AFM I was looking for and Planetary Pinball are promoting NextGen 2+ . Not sure if I want Matt or Glossy now! Will need BOP as well, I have been offered a set with an alternative BOP design from another member but may want to keep to the original design. I will have a look to see who was promoting silkscreen perhaps I read it wrongly.

Found it,Planetary Pinball, Slugfest silkscreened cabinet decal set of 5 !!!!!!! and silksreened AFM
Bay Area Amusements has CFTBL. There seems to be a mixture scattered on various sites.

Last edited:
Found it,Planetary Pinball, Slugfest silkscreened cabinet decal set of 5 !!!!!!! and silksreened AFM
Bay Area Amusements has CFTBL. There seems to be a mixture scattered on various sites.

Hmm can't understand that. Seems kinda pointless to me.

Thanks Pete. It was AFM I was looking for and Planetary Pinball are promoting NextGen 2+ . Not sure if I want Matt or Glossy now! Will need BOP as well

In my opinion the glossy finish more closely resembles the original cabinet artwork, as when cabinets were new they had a decent shine on them.

@Paul can we has a sticky on the shop log page for people to find parts for
machines please !

Like @PeteB web site
@pinballmania web site
Pinball heaven
Pinball daze
Pinball center
Ministry of pinball
There is more but I forgotten (big sorry for the ones I forgotten :oops:)

Many thanks :)

And @PeteB wish I had none about your web site ;)

machines please !

Like @PeteB web site
@pinballmania web site
Pinball heaven
Pinball daze
Pinball center
Ministry of pinball

If someone creates one - it shall be stickied :)

Hmm can't understand that. Seems kinda pointless to me.

Historically ( and before recent innovations in large format digital print) the main benefits of Screen-printing would have been very low cost for large quantities in a print run and longevity of the print itself (without lamination).

In recent years as there have been rapid improvements in full colour printers, the inks used and the materials oriented, along with reductions in the cost of the printer the balance has swapped to digital print. Screen print might still be relevant though for a combination of factors:
- very low labour costs (process is fairly labour intensive);
- 'original' feel/finish (without laminate), including tough finish;
- can be produced without access/funds for expensive printers & materials.
- accurate production of brighter colours from mixed inks ( we use 8 shades of ink at work now to give a better vibtprancy, but still struggle with some colours)

More modern printers outweigh most of the screen print advantages ( apart perhaps where volume us needed), so use of screen print is rapidly diminishing. Things go full circle though, the current move is to 'direct to media' print where you print directly on whatever it us you wasn't to decorate (which is I believe the type of machine Heighway use), but not do good for a cab refurb....

Out of professional interest @PeteB, which printer do you use?

Should also have said @PeteB your site looks great & I'll be sorting out a set of a Indy 500 ones from you in the not too distant future!:thumbs:

Awesome! I also have Party Zone decals in case you do that one too haha ;)[/QUOTE]

I always thought Party Zone was an off white colour, till I dropped the backbox and found the original yellow behind the hinges! :rofl:

machines please !

Like @PeteB web site
@pinballmania web site
Pinball heaven
Pinball daze
Pinball center
Ministry of pinball

Don't forget one stop pinball, I've just bought a few bits and pieces from him.

@PeteB , what a great selection of decals! Nice to see some decals for the not so common machines!

Are you planning on a Corvette set in the future? As I'll be needing a set fairly soon lol

Dunc

@PeteB , what a great selection of decals! Nice to see some decals for the not so common machines!

Are you planning on a Corvette set in the future? As I'll be needing a set fairly soon lol

Dunc

I have Corvette. Needs adding to the site though. Work, work, work.... never enough time in the day. I haven't give up the day job to do this pinball stuff yet so I'm going as fast as I can when time allows. :D

i love lists like that. sometimes when i get a new game i surf for hours, opening 20 browser windows at different sites looking for game specific fixes and tweaks, parts and mods, rules and manuals and tips and pics and auctions, youtube videos, tutorials, spare parts .......

it's another reason the hobby is so addictive, there's so many branches off it from art and music to electronics to restoration and history

i love lists like that. sometimes when i get a new game i surf for hours, opening 20 browser windows at different sites looking for game specific fixes and tweaks, parts and mods, rules and manuals and tips and pics and auctions, youtube videos, tutorials, spare parts .......

it's another reason the hobby is so addictive, there's so many branches off it from art and music to electronics to restoration and history
Get a life

[emoji6]

Had a few people asking me about the decals not listed on the site yet. Here are some I have available which will be added over the weekend (hopefully):

• Revenge From Mars
  • Star Wars Episode 1
  • Safe Cracker
  • Corvette
  • Baywatch
  • Checkpoint
  • Class of 1812
  • F14 Tomcat
  • Truck Stop
  • Street Fighter
  • Maverick
  • Batman Forever
  • Rollergames
  • High Speed
  • Party Zone
  • Riverboat Gambler
  • Escape From The Lost World

And some alternative styles:
  • Bugs Bunny - Yellow Edition
  • Back To The Future - Black Edition
  • Tommy - Black Edition
  • + many more coming soon. Got a suggestion for alternative versions? Just message me.

It's one of those days where I keep having random brain farts.

I'm desperately seeking more cabinet artwork, especially the more rare titles, and I had an idea - if people could send me scans or high res photos of their cabinets for games that I haven't got, I could arrange suitable compensation. Say for example a 50% discount on decals, or maybe I could pay you a small fee if the photos/scans are good?

Give me some feedback on this idea guys.

What about Vector? That's a great candidate for something 'alternative'. I could take hi-res photos of the machines that I have here.

It's one of those days where I keep having random brain farts.

I'm desperately seeking more cabinet artwork, especially the more rare titles, and I had an idea - if people could send me scans or high res photos of their cabinets for games that I haven't got, I could arrange suitable compensation. Say for example a 50% discount on decals, or maybe I could pay you a small fee if the photos/scans are good?

Give me some feedback on this idea guys.

I couldn't possibly condone this.....
....However Good idea :thumbs::thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom