What's new

Cabin convert

DRD

Registered
Having read about a few on the site, I may join the ranks of the cabin owners. My appetite for pinballs exceeds sensible use of space in the house

To my mind, the priorities are

• Big door, or double doors to get games in easily. Double door to vent in summer ?
  • No windows (burglars, heat loss, uv light damage, condensation, draughts, warping, maintenance)
  • Minimum eaves height of 2.1m as I am 1.95m
  • Split aircon unit or some other way of cooling it (floor fan pointed at the open door ?)
  • Kingspan to insulate walls, floor
  • Cheaper fibreglass insulation in the roof
  • Overhanging roof to keep the place dry when doors left open
  • Concrete base, strong floor to take human and pinball weight
  • Storage heater to heat in winter
  • Fuse box inside the cabin with a big supply

When i look at the net, these things all have glass windows, glass doors that i do not want, fancy designs, terraces .....

Has anyone done a diy using raw timber as a starting point, I have all the gear to do this ? Or found a company that will do a custom kit at a sensible price please ?

Thanks

Sorry, also, what depth do you go for ? So that there is enough aisle in the middle to cope with a row of games being played either side of it

Thanks

Jeez you don't want much eh? Joke btw :) I've just had a cabin built, ill stick some pics up when its done

Last edited:
Get one without windows installed, get double glazed units in - Blocks out 98% of the UV, keeps some of the cold out, plus stronger than the wood surrounding it :) Oh and also shove mirror tint on meaning you can see out, however no-one can see in :)

6ft6in eaves height isnt usually a problem if you ask for it - however you have to be careful of planning regs here, since if within 2m of the boundary then you can only go i think 2.4m high...

check here : http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/outbuildings/miniguide

Have known serveral people go here : http://totalsheds.co.uk - these guys have standard sheds, however can usually modify to suit at no or little extra charge (I should be on comission!!) since they manufacture themselves.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom